• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Referees we won't see next season ...

Mick

Life President
The following National League referees have been promoted to the Football League:

Sunny Gill
Martin Woods
Tom Parsons
Adam Herczeg
Tom Kirk

No great surprises, given the playoff appointments. Tom Kirk was a mid season promotion into the National League Premier and has been promoted after just 6 National League games and one playoff.

More importantly do we get people being promoted from leagues below us or those referees getting relegated where they are not good enough for the football league?

If our league had to include all those being relegated for gross incompetence,we’d have at least half a dozen at every match and still no improvement.

Phil Parkinson will be pleased he will not see Adam Herczeg next season, slated him after their play off loss. Also said they had him in last regular season game at Dagenham, lost both and Parky believed him to be not good enough and play off game was too big for him?
A bit of sour grapes, blame the ref for losing games

Phil Parkinson will be pleased he will not see Adam Herczeg next season, slated him after their play off loss. Also said they had him in last regular season game at Dagenham, lost both and Parky believed him to be not good enough and play off game was too big for him?
.... and there's me thinking it was Wrexham who weren't good enough. Great game though.

.... and there's me thinking it was Wrexham who weren't good enough. Great game though.
Not to mention the very dodgy penalty he gave them.

More importantly do we get people being promoted from leagues below us or those referees getting relegated where they are not good enough for the football league?

Unlike with teams, relegations from the Football League for referees are few and far between. The normal method of leaving that group is through retirement, often some years too late.

This year's retirees include:

Select Group 1
- Martin Atkinson ... refereed our playoff win in Cardiff
- Mike Dean ... can concentrate on watching Tranmere
- Jon Moss ... can spend time repairing his record shop
maybe a VAR role beckons for some

National List
- Kevin Johnson .... decent ref
- Chris Sarginson .... many years too late
- Trevor Kettle .... even more years too late. Off to India to oversee their referees.
- Brett Huxtable ..... unlucky with injuries
- James Adcock ..... ditto

Also Assistant, Simon Beck who will be known to many older local players and officials who could well be still wondering how he got where he did.

Unlike with teams, relegations from the Football League for referees are few and far between. The normal method of leaving that group is through retirement, often some years too late.

This year's retirees include:

Select Group 1
- Martin Atkinson ... refereed our playoff win in Cardiff
- Mike Dean ... can concentrate on watching Tranmere
- Jon Moss ... can spend time repairing his record shop
maybe a VAR role beckons for some

National List
- Kevin Johnson .... decent ref
- Chris Sarginson .... many years too late
- Trevor Kettle .... even more years too late. Off to India to oversee their referees.
- Brett Huxtable ..... unlucky with injuries
- James Adcock ..... ditto

Also Assistant, Simon Beck who will be known to many older local players and officials who could well be still wondering how he got where he did.
I think Brett's injuries came with those sprints to the sweet trolley!
Can anyone think of a less athletic looking official? Jon Moss looked positively svelte by comparison!

I can't get my head around categorising officials by the league in which they officiate.
In effect, you're saying they are fifth rate in controlling a match. That can't be right.

Of course, player skills will be fifth tier, but refereeing a match?

Why would it need 'better' officials for an EFL game, or for that matter a PL game? In the latter, they get a huge chunk of help with VAR. If anything, it makes the job easier.
What does better actually mean? They see things lesser mortals don't?
There must be courses that direct refs to improve skills if only by watching footage that makes them more aware. Diving, for a start.

I can see why fit, athletic refs for the faster top tier is good. That said, how did Moss survive so long? But why can't officials in the NL be as fast and fit as their counterparts elsewhere?

I can't get my head around categorising officials by the league in which they officiate.
In effect, you're saying they are fifth rate in controlling a match. That can't be right.

Of course, player skills will be fifth tier, but refereeing a match?

Why would it need 'better' officials for an EFL game, or for that matter a PL game? In the latter, they get a huge chunk of help with VAR. If anything, it makes the job easier.
What does better actually mean? They see things lesser mortals don't?
There must be courses that direct refs to improve skills if only by watching footage that makes them more aware. Diving, for a start.

I can see why fit, athletic refs for the faster top tier is good. That said, how did Moss survive so long? But why can't officials in the NL be as fast and fit as their counterparts elsewhere?

Referees in SG1 (Premier League) and SG2 (predominantly Championship) are full-time professional referees - it is actually their job, it's what they do for a living. As well as refereeing a match or two a week, their job involves reviews, gettogethers, conferences, mentoring and importantly a comprehensive training regime.

Referees in the National League, by and large, have jobs and careers and training has to be fitted in round the rest of their lives. That said, the list of NL referees includes a number of marathon runners, a triathlete and I really don't think they've been found wanting for fitness too much. There is no reason why our NL referees should not be as fit as the Football League (Leagues 1 and 2) referees and I've seen nothing to suggest they are not.

Referees in SG1 (Premier League) and SG2 (predominantly Championship) are full-time professional referees - it is actually their job, it's what they do for a living. As well as refereeing a match or two a week, their job involves reviews, gettogethers, conferences, mentoring and importantly a comprehensive training regime.

Referees in the National League, by and large, have jobs and careers and training has to be fitted in round the rest of their lives. That said, the list of NL referees includes a number of marathon runners, a triathlete and I really don't think they've been found wanting for fitness too much. There is no reason why our NL referees should not be as fit as the Football League (Leagues 1 and 2) referees and I've seen nothing to suggest they are not.
Agreed! My very point. I should have supplanted 'shouldn't' for 'can't' see why they're not as fit, because they are by and large.
It was the other points that need addressing.
Is a professional referee better than an NL part-timer because he devotes every working to day to improving?
If so, then the NL needs pro refs.
I believe there are no NL squads who are part-time. I think Woking was the last to go with the flow.
But by and large, the standard of officialdom last season in the NL was average.
I've witnessed it over the last seven or more seasons as part of a reporting job, and it has often been dire.

Im sure the powers that be have been crawling all the pub team fixtures...

Back