• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Refwatch 2022/23 ......... Boreham Wood (H)

Mick

Life President
With the new season coming up we will see some new opponents and some new referees. Saturday brings neither. Both previous League matches against Boreham Wood finished 1-0 to the home team, so honours even at the moment.

The referee is scheduled to be Robert Massey-Ellis from Coventry, the husband (and Ellis part) of Sian Massey-Ellis who has regularly featured on televised Premier League matches proving to be one of the more reliable Assistant Referees.

Aged about 40, he is an Executive Director of a Medical Centre. Indeed, whilst his wife has been travelling the world officiating in all the top women’s tournaments, he has been engaged in all sorts of worthy activities. These include Operations Manager for the RSPCA, Management in the British Red Cross and Medical Manager for the British Army.

In his spare time, he has been working his way up through the ranks of non-league refereeing and is now in his third season as a National League referee. Last season his 20 matches saw a high-ish 78 yellows and a low-ish 1 red. Not included in those National League stats is our home match against Dorking in the FA Trophy when I don’t think he impressed greatly nor was he particularly bad. I don’t recall any cards. Last season, he was also appointed to do the postponed home match against Maidenhead and then appointed for the Yeovil away match but changed at the last minute.

He did finally make it to Roots Hall for a League match in what was our antepenultimate home game of the season on St Georges Day when we beat Halifax 1-0 thanks to a Kenny Clark goal. Just the two yellows shared; ours was Neal. He had a good game.

He has previously refereed Boreham Wood three times, all at home, the most recent being last season’s goalless New Year game against Barnet.

Assisting will be Jack Fagg from Canterbury, who works for a chain of Leisure Centres in Kent and Steven Scott from Tooting. Standing by as Fourth Official will be Peter Wilson from Chelmsford after his recent promotion. He refereed last season’s Essex Senior Cup exit to Coggeshall at Roots Hall.

Great to see the first refwatch of the new season appear :Thumbs up:

It’s all getting very close now, and we’ve got a tricky looking set of fixtures to start with. Let’s hope we get decent refs in those fixtures who let the game flow and get the big calls right.

With the new season coming up we will see some new opponents and some new referees. Saturday brings neither. Both previous League matches against Boreham Wood finished 1-0 to the home team, so honours even at the moment.

The referee is scheduled to be Robert Massey-Ellis from Coventry, the husband (and Ellis part) of Sian Massey-Ellis who has regularly featured on televised Premier League matches proving to be one of the more reliable Assistant Referees.

Aged about 40, he is an Executive Director of a Medical Centre. Indeed, whilst his wife has been travelling the world officiating in all the top women’s tournaments, he has been engaged in all sorts of worthy activities. These include Operations Manager for the RSPCA, Management in the British Red Cross and Medical Manager for the British Army.

In his spare time, he has been working his way up through the ranks of non-league refereeing and is now in his third season as a National League referee. Last season his 20 matches saw a high-ish 78 yellows and a low-ish 1 red. Not included in those National League stats is our home match against Dorking in the FA Trophy when I don’t think he impressed greatly nor was he particularly bad. I don’t recall any cards. Last season, he was also appointed to do the postponed home match against Maidenhead and then appointed for the Yeovil away match but changed at the last minute.

He did finally make it to Roots Hall for a League match in what was our antepenultimate home game of the season on St Georges Day when we beat Halifax 1-0 thanks to a Kenny Clark goal. Just the two yellows shared; ours was Neal. He had a good game.

He has previously refereed Boreham Wood three times, all at home, the most recent being last season’s goalless New Year game against Barnet.

Assisting will be Jack Fagg from Canterbury, who works for a chain of Leisure Centres in Kent and Steven Scott from Tooting. Standing by as Fourth Official will be Peter Wilson from Chelmsford after his recent promotion. He refereed last season’s Essex Senior Cup exit to Coggeshall at Roots Hall.
Refwatch is back :Worthy::Worthy:

Are there any special FA rule enforcement areas this coming season?
Any directions for mandatory bookings or clamp downs?

Are there any special FA rule enforcement areas this coming season?
Any directions for mandatory bookings or clamp downs?

Laws, including changes, can be found here:
https://www.theifab.com/

In the last week they issued further "guidance" with examples of what constitutes deliberate playing of the ball by a defender in a potential offside scenario. It includes video clips and examples of offside and not offside. I found it impossible to reconcile some of their on/off decisions with the guidance given. Hey ho.

It was rumoured that EFL referees had been asked to try to keep the game flowing more with less stoppages for minimal contact and also to clamp down on dissent. Not that that will affect us, sadly.

First late change of the season. The referee for the Barnet v Halifax match has cried off and Robert Massey-Ellis has been moved to cover that game.

So we have, for the very first time, the almost 30 year old Michael Barlow from Bolton. He got a mid-season promotion at the beginning of this year and this will be just his 7th game at National League level. Last season's 6 matches saw 22 yellow cards and 1 red.

He started refereeing at the age of 14 in the Bolton, Bury and District League and has worked his way up to the top of the non-league pyramid. He is involved in the mentoring of younger referees and was an anti-social behaviour officer.

He has not refereed Boreham Wood before either.

on reading the threads in match report on a scale of 1 to 10 seems he will get a minus 5 ,in other words he was fking useless

@Mick , or someone else itk about the laws of the game, can you please clarify the current situation about stopping the game for an injury?

I seemed to remember a few years ago that they changed the guidance so that the game would only be stopped for a head injury or other serious injury. Yesterday’s ref seemed happy to blow up every time a BW player sat down.

Has the guidance changed or did yesterday’s ref apply it incorrectly?

It struck me that if we’d have played on whilst their players were sat on the floor, it might have discouraged them from doing it so frequently!

@Mick , or someone else itk about the laws of the game, can you please clarify the current situation about stopping the game for an injury?

I seemed to remember a few years ago that they changed the guidance so that the game would only be stopped for a head injury or other serious injury. Yesterday’s ref seemed happy to blow up every time a BW player sat down.

Has the guidance changed or did yesterday’s ref apply it incorrectly?

It struck me that if we’d have played on whilst their players were sat on the floor, it might have discouraged them from doing it so frequently!

Certainly not aware of any change to the guidance.

Attachments

• treatment-of-injuries-guidance.pdf
    391.2 KB · Views: 10
Mick,can I ask you what training 4th officials have in handling the numbers board as yesterdays official acted as though it was the 1st he'd seen one,
At least he was consistent in upsetting both benches in the time he took to show the
substitutes numbers.

Certainly not aware of any change to the guidance.
Thanks Mick - if you were at the game yesterday any thoughts on Ref's interpretation of the guidance?

I thought (a) he stopped the game for clearly non-serious injuries and (b) allowed treatment on the pitch.

(b) I guess they all do nowadays! - but (a) certainly seemed odd and excessive

I was at the game and I think we got what it said the tin. A young first timer inexperienced at this level. :
Whilst he got the two Reds right he let too much else from BW, go unpunished through a mixture of weakness and having the wool pulled over his eyes by a team full of very well versed cheaters.
4/10

Back