• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Refwatch 2022/23 ......... Boreham Wood (H)

Thanks Mick - if you were at the game yesterday any thoughts on Ref's interpretation of the guidance?

I thought (a) he stopped the game for clearly non-serious injuries and (b) allowed treatment on the pitch.

(b) I guess they all do nowadays! - but (a) certainly seemed odd and excessive

Sadly not - kept away by an injury.

Doesn't sound like he followed the guidance in all cases.

An inexperienced referee with only half a dozen games at this level behind him. Hopefully he will improve.

Mick,can I ask you what training 4th officials have in handling the numbers board as yesterdays official acted as though it was the 1st he'd seen one,
At least he was consistent in upsetting both benches in the time he took to show the
substitutes numbers.

I know remarkably little about the numbers boards. Are they provided by the home club? Do the League provide them so all clubs have the same one? If so are the National League ones more complicated/sophisticated to operate?

Certainly lower down the pyramid the onus is on the clubs to provide them and they seem to come in all shapes and sizes.

Having said that, wherever the boards come from, I would have thought that with the officials arriving at least an hour and a half before kick-off, probably earlier, the Fourth Official will want to spend a bit of time familiarising himself with the numbers board and checking it's in good working order. If Peter Wilson did not do that, on his first ever appointment at this level, then he only has himself to blame for looking incompetent.

It’s been a long time since I was involved in the middle, but I thought that if the goalkeeper was treated on the field then any other player being treated would not then have to leave the field of play. Late on I think it was Taylor and the oppo keeper being treated after a clash, and Taylor went off for the restart. Was that the correct procedure?

It’s been a long time since I was involved in the middle, but I thought that if the goalkeeper was treated on the field then any other player being treated would not then have to leave the field of play. Late on I think it was Taylor and the oppo keeper being treated after a clash, and Taylor went off for the restart. Was that the correct procedure?
I'd say not, assuming both players became injured in the same incident.

There was another strange thing in the first half. One of our players was fouled (forgotten who now but was on our left side) and received treatment on the pitch. After treatment he took the free kick himself. Another new law???

There was another strange thing in the first half. One of our players was fouled (forgotten who now but was on our left side) and received treatment on the pitch. After treatment he took the free kick himself. Another new law???

Was whoever committed the foul booked?

I think (and I’m sure Mick will correct me if I’m wrong) that if a player is injured in an incident where the offender is booked or sent off they can remain on the field after treatment.

Laws, including changes, can be found here:
https://www.theifab.com/

In the last week they issued further "guidance" with examples of what constitutes deliberate playing of the ball by a defender in a potential offside scenario. It includes video clips and examples of offside and not offside. I found it impossible to reconcile some of their on/off decisions with the guidance given. Hey ho.

It was rumoured that EFL referees had been asked to try to keep the game flowing more with less stoppages for minimal contact and also to clamp down on dissent. Not that that will affect us, sadly.

@Mick do you know what has happened to the yellow for simulation? If they were still taking that seriously then Powell would have been booked on Saturday. But, had he not been so silly I think the ref. would possibly have given him a penalty about 2 mins later when he was genuinely shoved to the ground.

Last edited:
I commented on that as well. I think it was Ralph. But I think the reason for that has been explained.

I think (and I’m sure Mick will correct me if I’m wrong) that if a player is injured in an incident where the offender is booked or sent off they can remain on the field after treatment.
Correct.

Not always applied for some inexplicable reason.

I know remarkably little about the numbers boards. Are they provided by the home club? Do the League provide them so all clubs have the same one? If so are the National League ones more complicated/sophisticated to operate?
Provided by the league.

I've never been close to a National League-issued board so can't comment on its ease of use, but certainly they're different to EFL boards as they are only one-sided for a start!

gosh i wish someone would come in with a little dosh and help us get out of this tinpot league.

Provided by the league.

I've never been close to a National League-issued board so can't comment on its ease of use, but certainly they're different to EFL boards as they are only one-sided for a start!

Thank you.

Mr Wilson would be well advised to spend a while practising before his next outing as Fourth Official then. He should be okay next week as he only has a flag to contend with.

Back