• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Refwatch .......... Aldershot (A)

Mick

Life President
We have had comfortably the better of league matches with Aldershot over the years having played them 82 (and a half) times, winning 34 (and a half), drawing 23 and losing just 25. Despite this supremacy, our recent record has been poor. In the last 30 years we’ve played them 8 times. We’ve lost 5, won 1 and drawn 2 scoring just 6 goals.

As the appointments stand at the moment, the referee is scheduled to be Robert Massey-Ellis from Coventry, the husband (and Ellis part) of Sian Massey-Ellis who has regularly featured on televised Premier League matches proving to be one of the more reliable Assistant Referees.

Aged about 40, he is an Executive Director of a Medical Centre. Indeed, whilst his wife has been travelling the world officiating in all the top women’s tournaments, he has been engaged in all sorts of worthy activities. These include Operations Manager for the RSPCA, Management in the British Red Cross and Medical Manager for the British Army.

In his spare time, he has been working his way up through the ranks of non-league refereeing and is now in his third season as a National League referee. Last season his 20 matches saw a high-ish 78 yellows and a low-ish 1 red. Not included in those National League stats is our home match against Dorking in the FA Trophy when I don’t think he impressed greatly nor was he particularly bad. I don’t recall any cards. Last season, he was also appointed to do the postponed home match against Maidenhead and then appointed for the Yeovil away match but changed at the last minute.

He did finally make it to Roots Hall for a League match in what was our antepenultimate home game of the season on St Georges Day when we beat Halifax 1-0 thanks to a Kenny Clark goal. Just the two yellows shared; ours was Neal.

Then normal service resumed with him being appointed to our season opener at home to Boreham Wood and then reallocated with a late appointment at Barnet.

Then he returned for the Torquay home match in August this year. A 2-1 defeat with 4 yellows to them and one for Kensdale.

Then normal service again as he was appointed to our match at Maidstone recently. Once again a no-show and Gavin Ward stepped in to replace him. So he has only actually done 2 of the 5 Southend matches he’s been appointed to.

The 12 matches that he has done this season have seen 43 yellows and a high 5 reds.

Assisting will be Ashley Allen, an army man from Nottingham and Harley McKittrick from Coventry. Standing by as Fourth Official is Thomas Hood from Tring.

Is it me Mick or do NL officials allocated to games be transferred often and at incredibly short notice?

I never really noticed this happening when we were in League 2 :Unsure:

Is it me Mick or do NL officials allocated to games be transferred often and at incredibly short notice?

I never really noticed this happening when we were in League 2 :Unsure:

Probably not as many as it seems; we've had far more than our share!

But yes, more than when we were a League club. I guess the lower down you're refereeing, the easier it is to call off when other priorities or situations occur.

Back