• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Refwatch ......... Eastleigh (A)

Mick

Life President
Not much between the teams in our previous two meetings (1-0 and 1-1) but we are unbeaten against them.

Man in charge is the quite experienced and bearded Gary Parsons making the short journey from Hordle in the New Forest area of Hampshire. He is in his 6th year as a National League referee although he missed virtually all of the season before last battling with a serious medical condition. Not one of our younger officials (not necessarily a bad thing). When not refereeing, he is a Transport Manager in soils and aggregates and, amongst other things, involved in scouting and is an archery instructor.

Last season he took charge of 19 National League matches, showing a highish 82 yellows and 3 reds. Three of those yellows came in our game at Dagenham - Weston for them and Howard and Murphy for us. Don’t think there were too many complaints. Later in the season he stepped in as a late replacement for our match at Yeovil. Another defeat, 2-0, and both of the bookings – Gubbins and Clifford.

This season he’s done just two matches with 8 yellows, all but one of them in the Yeovil v Barnet game.

The two Assistants will have significantly longer journeys than the referee: Harley McKittrick and Ryan Williams both from Coventry. Fourth Official will be Timothy Godfray from Portsmouth.

"Last season he took charge of 19 National League matches, showing a highish 82 yellows and 3 reds.
"Three of those yellows came in our game at Dagenham - Weston for them and Howard and Murphy for us.
"Don’t think there were too many complaints.
"Later in the season he stepped in as a late replacement for our match at Yeovil. Another defeat, 2-0, and both of the bookings – Gubbins and Clifford."

He's got form then.
Strange, you appoint someone so close to where you officiate.
He will know Eastleigh well; probably reads about them in local media, and well, it's a strange appointment.
Got to remember where we are...

He was ok with Ndi got a cuffing in the 1st half from their No14.
I thought he was going to play “ a hard game “, sadly not
Once his book was opened, it was a free for all, very little in our favour

He lives 25 minutes from Eastleigh which means however good he is this sort of appointment means his performance will be under more scrutiny than necessary. Surely avoidable.

He lives 25 minutes from Eastleigh which means however good he is this sort of appointment means his performance will be under more scrutiny than necessary. Surely avoidable.
Indeed. It’s the national league. If we are expected to travel anywhere in the country, then refs should be expected to travel distances akin with other national leagues

Lost his mind. Lost control.
Lost ability to make decisions .

He looked intimidated by their players and seemed to be enjoying winding up the SUFC support..

6 years at this level and no progress as he is a complete loose cannon and mentally weak and unable to maintain decision making focus for 90 mins.

If that ball was moving for the first goal it is a case of utter incompetence … AND I suspect a weakness to disallow it.

The White Hart vs The Dog and Duck is a level too high for him

Lost his mind. Lost control.
Lost ability to make decisions .

He looked intimidated by their players and seemed to be enjoying winding up the SUFC support..

6 years at this level and no progress as he is a complete loose cannon and mentally weak and unable to maintain decision making focus for 90 mins.

If that ball was moving for the first goal it is a case of utter incompetence … AND I suspect a weakness to disallow it.

The White Hart vs The Dog and Duck is a level too high for him
Could we still not have defended it (better) though?

If the ref is that weak as people have been saying then why did we not have someone constantly talking to him to get him to give us freekicks. It's about game management, do we not scout the refs, find out that if we give them abuse then we won't get anything, we learnt that at Sunday league level, get into the changing room and the manager would say we have so and so today so that means no back chat etc.

Indeed. It’s the national league. If we are expected to travel anywhere in the country, then refs should be expected to travel distances akin with other national leagues

I must have missed the similar complaints last season when Lloyd Wood, from Romford, gave us that late and dubious penalty against Kings Lynn.

Nearer 40, but as you say an unnecessary appointment the like of which normally counts against the home team as the referee strives to emphasize his neutrality and errs the other way. Not yesterday, obviously.

Awful, awful referee. People spend their hard earned money to watch a game of football, and the least you can expect is that the game in officiated fairly. Yesterday was a joke. But, he'll just keep doing it every Saturday, nothing will change.

I must have missed the similar complaints last season when Lloyd Wood, from Romford, gave us that late and dubious penalty against Kings Lynn.
I wasn’t aware of that. I do remember most on here saying it was never a penalty though, so I guess consistency rather than complaints on that occasion

How is a referee assessed in this league @Mick? I assume there is an observer at the ground but do reports from the two clubs count as well? And my other bit of confusion, assuming he sees it, should the referee include any incidents after a game including players inciting supporters?

Exert from a match report the last time Parsons refereed Eastleigh at home (v Woking).

“The second half started in similar fashion; the Cards thought that they had restored their two-goal cushion from a corner, only to be denied by the referee’s whistle, who then took centre stage by issuing yellow cards willy-nilly to the visitors as well as awarding two penalties to the home side (the first of which was dubious) to allow them to complete a comeback victory when they should have been out of sight long before the deciding goal.”

Hmmmm. 🤔

Back