• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Refwatch ......... Solihull Moors (H)

Mick

Life President
For the second league match running we go into the game with a record of played four, drawn two and one win apiece. We are ahead of Solihull on goals scored thanks to that fine 3-0 win early this year.

Tomorrow’s referee is Paul Johnson from Surrey. In his early 40s, he is in his third season as a National League referee, (although he hasn’t done that many games,) and will be refereeing his third Southend match.

When he first came to Roots Hall a year and a half ago, he was the Commercial Director for Biotiful Dairy Ltd. For his second visit he was Head of UK Sales (Interim) for Gü Desserts and now he is Head of Commercial for HiPP Organic (UK). If his day work is anything like his refereeing, I’m not surprised he keeps on the move.

The first of those matches was the 2021/22 match against Bromley. Two early and unnecessary yellows for Atkinson and Husin and a later one for them in a substandard performance – but we did win 2-0.

Back in March this year he returned for the Friday night match against Barnet and again he was found wanting. Another weak and inadequate performance, this time a 1-0 defeat and yellows for Hobson and two of theirs. Let’s hope for third time lucky in getting a decent performance out of him.

This season he has obviously been working on his assertiveness and gone mad with his cards. His three matches have produced 21 yellows and a red.

Assisting will be Bradley Mingay from the Norwich area and Alex Mathieson from Aldershot. Fourth Official will be Paul Stratton from Havering.

He added another 8 yellows to his collection today - 3 for us, 5 Solihull. I thought he set a fairly low threshold with his first booking so had to splash the cards out. I didn't see what Gus did for his yellow ... something he said?

He added another 8 yellows to his collection today - 3 for us, 5 Solihull. I thought he set a fairly low threshold with his first booking so had to splash the cards out. I didn't see what Gus did for his yellow ... something he said?
Although the high card count I felt he had a good game and let alot go which others would be whistle happy.

I didn't see what Gus did for his yellow ... something he said?
Yep. I didn't see what happened but Gus seemed to lose it quite bigly about something their 19 did. To be fair to the referee he told him to calm down more than once but he didn't so he booked him.

Definitely off topic, but I thought I'd ask Mick (as the SUFC guru on officials, and therefore upcoming matches),
Are we "game free" on 04th Nov?
I believe this was scheduled as F.A Cup Round 1 proper - however, another Shrimper said it might be F.A Vase that day?

Appreciate your knowledge as trying to plan ahead for games to watch/travel to :Worthy::Worthy:

Spoke to him after the game, a really nice guy actually.
A decent ref, I liked that he listened to players and then said he had heard and booked for dissent when they carried on.
I thought the yellow for Taylor was harsh and given because the SM player squealed like a stuck pig.
Late on I was pleased that in the "dead" game last 15 minutes he did not add further yellows as some SM players would have gone two yellows and off BUT the fouls on Bridge and Kanu would have been cert booking in the first half of the match; and inconsistency is the major fault too often in reffing. Tricky and thankless task this officiating.
The added time seemed about right but in the circumstances might have been cut second period from 8 to 3 minutes using common sense.

Definitely off topic, but I thought I'd ask Mick (as the SUFC guru on officials, and therefore upcoming matches),
Are we "game free" on 04th Nov?
I believe this was scheduled as F.A Cup Round 1 proper - however, another Shrimper said it might be F.A Vase that day?

Appreciate your knowledge as trying to plan ahead for games to watch/travel to :Worthy::Worthy:

The FA Vase was yesterday and the next round is 11th November.

We have no game on 4th November.

Back