• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Refwatch ........ Wrexham (H)

I think a lot of people overreacting. A good performance under pressure from the referee and his assistants. The goal was right to be chalked off and that was the only controversial decision they made. The abuse the referee got was nothing short of embarrassing from our so called “fans”
The West Stand Lino had an ansolute shocker today. Never lead on the decisions on his side, always waited cor the ref

Unfortunately that's our level now. It's crap but no one else gives a f****
People have been saying that but it's not good enough. This isn't noughties Conference with 90% part-timers anymore. There are far too many big and full-time clubs in this division nowadays, and far too much money and prestige riding on it, for Sunday League park pitch-standard officiating to be in anyway acceptable or excusable anymore. Standards need to be driven up, quickly.

Shocking across the board today. Lots of moaning about the West Stand lino and rightly so, but East Stand one had a 'mare too. Countless missed offsides, and the two blatant ignored Wrexham handballs FIVE YARDS IN FRONT OF HIS FACE sandwiching the Noor Husin "handball" which he couldn't wait to hyperventilate and wave his flag for were a joke.

The West Stand Lino had an ansolute shocker today. Never lead on the decisions on his side, always waited cor the ref
Probably because the ref overruled him on his first decision (the corner in the 1st 10 mins), when the lino was looking straight at it, and the ref was on the far side of the box, with 10-15 players in between

People have been saying that but it's not good enough. This isn't noughties Conference with 90% part-timers anymore. There are far too many big and full-time clubs in this division nowadays, and far too much money and prestige riding on it, for Sunday League park pitch-standard officiating to be in anyway acceptable or excusable anymore. Standards need to be driven up, quickly.

Shocking across the board today. Lots of moaning about the West Stand lino and rightly so, but East Stand one had a 'mare too. Countless missed offsides, and the two blatant ignored Wrexham handballs FIVE YARDS IN FRONT OF HIS FACE sandwiching the Noor Husin "handball" which he couldn't wait to hyperventilate and wave his flag for were a joke.
I agree it's not good enough too. It won't change anything though. There won't be any investigation into the performance of those officials.

A friend of mine watches another NL club although not a supporter so quite neutral!
He said to me the other week he'd just seen the worst referee ever!
I said give it time my friend by the end of the season you'll see worse!

No mention of corruption .. and whilst it seems unlikely its the first time ever that I've considered it. The decision to disallow the goal was baffling and looks so bad in terms of transparency that what other reason is there? Money talks.

No mention of corruption .. and whilst it seems unlikely its the first time ever that I've considered it. The decision to disallow the goal was baffling and looks so bad in terms of transparency that what other reason is there? Money talks.
Must admit it had crossed my mind!
Still trying to get my head around it having been right in front of me and if in doubt always a little look to lino which bring in no doubt didn't. Pretty certain no flag though.

I described a scenario in post #31 of this thread that might or might not be the case.
To be honest incompetence is invariably so much more likely to be the cause of any errors than corruption. However the players, managers and paying customers should be entitled to know the circumstances of that decision - why it was disallowed and why the Assistant didn't flag.

I was right at the front of the West Stand listening to the conversation between ref and lino after we scored our “goal.” This is what I heard:

Ref: “Are you OK? I’ve booked that tosser for shouting abuse at you. It wasn’t handball was it?”
Lino: “Don’t know, I wasn’t looking.”
Ref: “You’ve had a hard time of it this afternoon taking all that flack from the West Stand for missing obvious offsides in the first half and totally ignoring that blatant shirt pulling on Dackers when he was bursting down the left. I appreciate you saving me from having to make a booking. If you’d like to get back at that noisy lot we can disallow the goal for offside.”
Lino: “Was it? I wasn't looking. Can we do that without me putting my flag up after the ball went in the net? If so, bring it on.”
Ref: “Watch this. I’m going to enjoy this moment and so is Mr Parkinson.”

My Dagenham supporting relatives warned me when we got relegated that the standard of referring was very poor and so right they were.I wonder if they have assessors at games clearly they aren't because if they did we wouldn't have so many incompetent ones.

My Dagenham supporting relatives warned me when we got relegated that the standard of referring was very poor and so right they were.I wonder if they have assessors at games clearly they aren't because if they did we wouldn't have so many incompetent ones.

The standard of refereeing in the country is generally poor IMO (how Simon Hooper is a Premier referee I'll never know!!). You only have to look at some of the VAR decisions to realise this - even after watching it back, in slow motion they get it badly wrong!!!

Plenty of allegations of exactly this thrown out at the two officials from our bit of the West stand!

some of these refs seem to have local FA jobs ...

referee development officer or some such bureaucratic thing.

so i guess they do loads and loads of courses and know how to get on the ladder but lack the understanding, bottle and awareness - plus are completely unable to deal with the real time stress of professional sport.

of course they are also blocking the pathway for refs with talent and ability ..

blooming awful that the situation has been allowed to develop and get so utterly poor..

I really don't think there is any corruption of the refs at this level, there's not enough money at stake to make it worth the risks.
I think they are just not very good.
I doubt it too, but I think your logic is flawed. The lack of money (especially where the ref is concerned) is exactly why betting syndicates would target refs at this level.

Back