• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Refwatch ........ Wrexham (H)

I think a lot of people overreacting. A good performance under pressure from the referee and his assistants. The goal was right to be chalked off and that was the only controversial decision they made. The abuse the referee got was nothing short of embarrassing from our so called “fans”
Now I know for certain you're a troll. Had my suspicions but they are now confirmed.

I think a lot of people overreacting. A good performance under pressure from the referee and his assistants. The goal was right to be chalked off and that was the only controversial decision they made. The abuse the referee got was nothing short of embarrassing from our so called “fans”
What a ridiculous post. A couple of ‘you don’t know what you’re doing chants’ is hardly abuse.

And as for that being the only controversial decision they made. Did you not see Hayden pulling Dackers’ back for about 5 seconds when he was running through on goal? The most blatant free kick and yellow card you’ll ever see. Yet nothing was given from the so called ‘good performance’ referee.

Last edited:
Mick does a great job and we all love that!
Mick just take a break and tell us the next set of officials are going to be more than useless!

Serious question Mick, why on earth do they name the officials so early when they seem to be changed every week?

Appointments are published on Mondays. Referees, who mostly have proper jobs and other things going on, are going to want to have a bit of notice as to where they will be on the Saturday. The real question is why have there been so many changes this season. Even during the Covid era there were far fewer withdrawals.

I wasn’t there today. And it has been common this season for the assistants not to flag until the period of play has finished.

But I really fail to see how you can give an offside decision where at no point you have raised your flag. If that’s what’s happened.

I think you are getting confused with the Assistants operating with VAR who, as instructed, leave their flags down for close calls in promising attacks until that period of play has finished. This is so VAR can rule on it if a goal ensues.

At our level Assistants will flag (sorry, make that should flag) for offsides as soon as the player becomes actively offside.
The only reason for not raising a flag is if the Assistant is not sure about something. For example the ball that bounced back to Jake Hyde, coming back from an offside position might have looked to him like it was played by a defender so he wouldn't have flagged. Then in subsequent discussion the referee might have confirmed that it came off our player and he confirmed that Hyde was in an offside position and the goal was disallowed. This is of course totally hypothetical as I have no idea what happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: fbm
I've always been inclined to give the officials the benefit of the doubt and be kind towards the decisions they have to make in the heat of the moment, but a few weeks back, I had a drink earlier with an official who works as an assistant at Premier League 2 and National League level.
He told me, that as a NL assistant, he has one ear plugged into the comms system and the other ear facing the crowd. He said that he had sleepless nights after making crucial in game decisions, fearing that they were incorrect and he would be raked over the coals. He said that he is paid an unfairly small amount (our officials are paid from a pot the clubs in the league pay into) alongside the parsimonious expenses he is allowed to claim for. He ultimately does what he does (alongside being a PE teacher) for the love of the game and the slim hope he may one day reach a respected level (respected level? In refereeing? - Ed.)

Sometimes, we end up with officials, like today's, who make decisions that boil my blood. But on the flip side, they are human beings, who are paid a pittance to receive our abuse and arbitrate on decisions we hold in high regard. Yes, they chose this path, but consider what their reward is and whether what they're on the end of as a result, is fair from the fans' point of view.

I've always been inclined to give the officials the benefit of the doubt and be kind towards the decisions they have to make in the heat of the moment, but a few weeks back, I had a drink earlier with an official who works as an assistant at Premier League 2 and National League level.
He told me, that as a NL assistant, he has one ear plugged into the comms system and the other ear facing the crowd. He said that he had sleepless nights after making crucial in game decisions, fearing that they were incorrect and he would be raked over the coals. He said that he is paid an unfairly small amount (our officials are paid from a pot the clubs in the league pay into) alongside the parsimonious expenses he is allowed to claim for. He ultimately does what he does (alongside being a PE teacher) for the love of the game and the slim hope he may one day reach a respected level (respected level? In refereeing? - Ed.)

Sometimes, we end up with officials, like today's, who make decisions that boil my blood. But on the flip side, they are human beings, who are paid a pittance to receive our abuse and arbitrate on decisions we hold in high regard. Yes, they chose this path, but consider what their reward is and whether what they're on the end of as a result, is fair from the fans' point of view.

That maybe true, however where the officials are the centre attention often leads to other people losing their jobs.

Maybe the answer is not for the love of it but the fa to fund better training for the officials. It’s not like the pot for football is short in England.

Maybe could do something like put a 1% tax of agent fees to pay for it.

Assistants are Peter Wilson from Chelmsford and Charles Martland from Swiss Cottage, a history teacher at Highgate School. It is to be hoped Mr Wilson manages the flag rather better than his efforts with the numbers board against Boreham Wood. Fourth Official is Richard Carter who is from Loughton, as was Tuesday night’s Fourth Official.

He was the lino infront of the East Stand.

Not that long ago, he was refereeing my Sunday league side in the Pope & Smith Chelmsford Sunday League. The officials at this level really are Sunday league.

He was an arrogant ****er back then, and a woeful referee. Not any better with a flag on todays showing. Put on weight since his Sunday league days too…

Can I ask, kick off for the 2nd half, the ball for Wrexham to kick off (both times - as it was called back) was a good 6 inches over the halfway line - how is that acceptable?

Can I ask, kick off for the 2nd half, the ball for Wrexham to kick off (both times - as it was called back) was a good 6 inches over the halfway line - how is that acceptable?

Also, I assume it was called back because Hyde had encroached into the Wrexham half. Upon the retake, the “referee” didn’t spot that the Wrexham player closest to the West Stand, hadn’t made his way back into his own half.

He was the lino infront of the East Stand.

Not that long ago, he was refereeing my Sunday league side in the Pope & Smith Chelmsford Sunday League. The officials at this level really are Sunday league.

He was an arrogant ****er back then, and a woeful referee. Not any better with a flag on todays showing. Put on weight since his Sunday league days too…
Unfortunately that's our level now. It's crap but no one else gives a f****

Back