• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jack The Flag

One Step Beyond ♪
Hi all, just a post that really needs to be done.

1. A big thanks to Smiffy for his hard work over the seasons on the drum, not many people will do it but fair play and what a great job he has done in doing it.
  2. With no one else offering to take over being the drummer, i took over in 2nd half of todays game, i've never played/used a drum before and i tried my best. If this is going to be a regular thing of me playing in then sure it will get better but things dont just happen overnight. If anyone thinks they could do a better job come over and try it, its not easy. Also its demoralising while your standing there trying your best and no other ***** will sing.
  3. A message to everyone if your not prepared to stand there and sing your heart out what are you doing there, there was 3/4 of todays W block standing there looking dead, sing up or get out.
  4. I stood up on the chair today trying to get everyone going and everyone looked at me like i was some sort of ****, join in. Also stewards come over and had a word because CCTV watch me stand on the seat. What is football coming to?
  5. Also message to the rest of the stadium, why is it always down to us, be nice if some other people started.
THIS IS FOOTBALL, NOT A LIBRARY!

I completely agree with you mate.
I'm just affraid that some people don't know the meaning of getting behind your team.
These are the type of nights that I wish I was born in 1960's being able to experience the 70's (real atmosphere) rather than 1990.

Football has changed in so many ways since money has been involved.

Terracing being taken away, is the main factor that has contributed to quiet grounds and bad atmosphere around the country!

If you express your opinion, you get shouted down for;

1. You need to get a life.
2. You need to grow up.
3. For being to into your football.
4. Thinking you are the greatest fan in the world.

ETC ETC.

Blue Army!

I dont think im any better fan than anyone, everyone the same but some Southend fans confuse me :unsure:

Fair play Jack playing the drum in second half, it must be difficult when you have never done it before. But well done for giving a go
No matter what, not everyone wants to sing and you have just got to get use to it.
It has been the same for the last 30 years but it dont mean the fans dont support the blues
The drum is a great piece of kit and need to be used from the off.
What did not help today was the arguing in the section with alot of fans finding other seats away from BV during the game which was disappointing to see, Parents and their kids did not need to hear some of the language being used and seeing them moving away was not good as these kids are our future
Keep doing what you do but remember not everyone will join in

See you coach for stanley with more stories to tell of the old days

Fair play Jack playing the drum in second half, it must be difficult when you have never done it before. But well done for giving a go
No matter what, not everyone wants to sing and you have just got to get use to it.
It has been the same for the last 30 years but it dont mean the fans dont support the blues
The drum is a great piece of kit and need to be used from the off.
What did not help today was the arguing in the section with alot of fans finding other seats away from BV during the game which was disappointing to see, Parents and their kids did not need to hear some of the language being used and seeing them moving away was not good as these kids are our future
Keep doing what you do but remember not everyone will join in

See you coach for stanley with more stories to tell of the old days

Glad your coming saturday, i know not everyone does not want to get involved but we can only try but i expect W block to get involved they are there for a reason!

Glad your coming saturday, i know not everyone does not want to get involved but we can only try but i expect W block to get involved they are there for a reason!

Gets your facts right Jack, we play Morcambe Saturday!!!
What with all the swearing and shouting today (not you), why did it happened as its the most i have seen in the W block before?

I think TBV need to seriously consider changing location to a central point in a stand so they have a chance of getting more people involved and also being heard more in other stands, how about South Lower, or second option central west stand. Much better than being stuck in a corner of a ground with no one on one side of them!!!

I think TBV need to seriously consider changing location to a central point in a stand so they have a chance of getting more people involved and also being heard more in other stands, how about South Lower, or second option central west stand. Much better than being stuck in a corner of a ground with no one on one side of them!!!

W Block is the only available spot at RH unfortunately. Believe me, we do not want to be there, anymore than you want us to be!

How did you feel the toned down and/or non-existent drumming helped the atmosphere today?

You were one of those championing the idea of doing away with the drum weren't you?

W Block is the only available spot at RH unfortunately. Believe me, we do not want to be there, anymore than you want us to be!

How did you feel the toned down and/or non-existent drumming helped the atmosphere today?

You were one of those championing the idea of doing away with the drum weren't you?

This made me think of the promise by Ron of a better area for the BV at the new stadium (if its ever built).......Cant see a three sided stadium being much of a improvement now TBH......its gonna be hard to create an improved atmosphere in a open sided stadium i recon.

Interesting thread.
For my fourpenn'orth, that gives away my age!, today was a painful experience that needed to happen.... And you all know it's been coming for a long while.
The little bits of carping that have been going on for so long; the drumming is too fast, the drumming is too slow, the drumming is out of time, the drumming is out of rythym, the drumming is too loud, etc. have finally got to the mark. Smiffy no longer wants to wake up the following morning stiff as a board and with blistered hands and having not really watched the football because he's drumming; to him, I say you've done a great job for a long while, mate, well done, you've made the decision to stand back and I, for one, respect that decision and will not criticise, you've done your bit.
Also well done to Jack the Flag for stepping in for the second half today, he wasn't brilliant but, what the hell, he gave it a go and got the atmosphere moving a bit more. People can criticise Jack as much as they like but he reminds me of myself back in the early 70's, unflinching commitment to the cause and loves the club and his football, if he's the future then I'm happy it's in fairly safe hands.
Over the last few games I've noticed the atmosphere going a bit 'off' and have noticed that when we're singing a lot of 'W' aren't, now, I can understand that a lot of people like to stand, I certainly do, and may see that 'W' is a place they can do that. I have no problem with them joining TBV in 'W' but if you do then please join in a bit, even if you don't want to sing then please clap along with the drum or join in occasionally.
To anyone put off by the goings on today, I would like to say it's probably something that should have been sorted elsewhere but passions run high amongst many of us when it comes to the Shrimpers and what happened happened but don't give up on it yet, we need to be united for the rest of the season, we are close to achieving little short of a miracle, as a club, on the field and the players need us to be there for them. Don't lose the faith now, please, please, give it everything you've got for the remainder of the season; who knows: BELIEVE!

I've mentioned this on the match thread but i feel TBV is a bit of a catch 22. the main singers move to block W and then have a go at the rest of the west stand for not singing ("we sing on our own, we sing on our oooooowwwn"). I can't help but feel that if these singers were spread out amongst the ground they may encourage more people around them to join in with chants........however they may just end up singing alone and the atmosphere is much worse for it as there is no big chant going, as exists with the current TBV setup.

I''d like to say, i'm not against TBV in anyway and fully support trying to improve the atmosphere but I dont know if the current setup is really beneficial. The move to the front of block W is an improvement but obv is still fairly secluded from the rest of the stand. As i think smiffy said, this is the only position TBV can have which is disappointing, so we have to make do with it.

I don't know what to suggest to improve things as the atmosphere today was fairly dead, even when we had chances to win at the end. It's as I said a very difficult situation and i just hope that with a higher standard of football and a new position in a new stadium (these glasses are far too rose tinted) the atmosphere will naturally improve. But right now, the best we can seemingly do is get the best possible atmosphere in W and hope it spreads.... and IMO the drum is vital to this atmosphere...unfortunately i have the rhythm of a deaf susan boyle so my input on the drum would be more of a hinderance.

I've mentioned this on the match thread but i feel TBV is a bit of a catch 22. the main singers move to block W and then have a go at the rest of the west stand for not singing ("we sing on our own, we sing on our oooooowwwn"). I can't help but feel that if these singers were spread out amongst the ground they may encourage more people around them to join in with chants........

I''d like to say, i'm not against TBV in anyway and fully support trying to improve the atmosphere but I dont know if the current setup is really beneficial. The move to the front of block W is an improvement but obv is still fairly secluded from the rest of the stand. As i think smiffy said, this is the only position TBV can have which is disappointing, so we have to make do with it.

But right now, the best we can seemingly do is get the best possible atmosphere in W and hope it spreads.... and IMO the drum is vital to this atmosphere...unfortunately i have the rhythm of a deaf susan boyle so my input on the drum would be more of a hinderance.

To point one; the 'we sing on our own' thing is a bit of a badge of honour and many, rightly or wrongly, feel that to be the way, for me it's not really a dig to everyone else but an invite to join in or respond and prove us wrong, please!!!!
That's what changed in the second half today, some of the main singers from the front moved to the middle and top of 'W' to get some motivation going, TBV fully appreciate that most people don't feel comfortable with starting a chant but will join in if others around do start something or are singing. Sadly there are far too few of us to do it around the ground, back in the 70's there were hundreds of us today it's a couple of dozen, if that, that get it going.:sad:

That's the hand we've been dealt and that's what we've got to live with, the hoped for move to the North didn't happen, for whatever reason, and we just have to get on with it. Sadly the move to the front has improved the sound but increased the criticism immensely. As it stands at the moment since we moved to the front the team has been on a bit of a roll, whether that has been down to that move is open to debate but we feel it has helped to build bridges to the players who didn't really know us before, or us them, and we don't want to sever that link. Sorry if that's not the answer some want to hear but that's how it is at the moment, sorry if it interrupts with your enjoyment a bit but I'm sure if we're helping then you'd rather be watching a team win than lose.:unsure:

Thanks for your support about the drum, I think today proved its worth and that's exactly what TBV is about, it's about trying to improve the atmosphere and it's not you or us it's ALL of us.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sorry for delay. I've spent most of last night and an hour this morning cleaning up a virus filled PC (still not fully fixed despite restores etc but I'm nearly done). I promised you at HT I would concede the point about no drum no atmosphere so here I am doing exactly that. Play as much as you want because it obviously makes a difference ! However you need to vary the vocals. You're not going to get V and the rest to join in with some of the new stuff I'm afraid. Moving to any other part of the ground is impossible. That's why people buy STs.

I don't know what the he'll happened in W yesterday but some of it wasn't pretty. Hopefully a one off ?

Restore the incumbent ! Smiffy was dead. Long live Smiffy !!!!!!

Smiffy, you were missed! Interestingly, during one of the long pauses I did hear the faint rumblings for the 2nd match in a row, of an attempt to get some chanting going from South Upper, so you see, even if it's quiet in the West, others will put in the effort sometimes. With all those kids there yesterday (and I understand that there was an initiative in some - if not all - local schools of kids for a quid and adults for £2, which explained the influx) it was never going to be great.

I sit in the west and yesterday some of the language from the usual suspects wasnt really on.

And the excuse thats its a football match so you can just rant for 30 mins like a madman within earshot of the elderly or children is ok is b0llocks.

You dont own the ground and you are not the worlds best southend supporter because you sing at each game and go home and away.

Has it not occurred to you that the group in which you travel is largely made up of young men from 15-25.

The same group that probably still live at home and dont have a family and a home of there own yet and bills to pay , so are able to go home and away.

The fact is that most of us myself included have done home and away in much darker days than these .

The blue voice is there to try an encourage the team and get the rest of the ground on the same page.

Just lately it seems to me that the blue voice are content anymore unless they are tring to belittle those around and the other parts of the ground at times.

I admire what you have done and i will continue to support it , but appreciate that not everyone wants to be at the pub at 12 get ****ed and sing for 90 mins.

Some people want to just arrive at kick off and enjoy the game, and both yesterday and against barnet the performances havent given us that much to shout about which i think has greatly affected atmosphere.

Keep up the good work , but dont lose sight of your purpose.

Back