• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We've been looking at ways to increase attendances....I reckon that would work. we only have to pay of we win?

Actually, the idea is not as daft as it sounds. If we keep losing, people do end up not paying - because they stop coming.

Even now, any club that's not linking player bonuses to attendance/crowd is missing a trick. The more the players win, the more people attend games; the more they put money into the club coffers, the more players get paid. Incentives drive performance.

Question: If you were due to attend a play-off final for £40 and the club offered to make the deal £35.00 if we lost but £50.00 if we won, would you take them up on the offer? If 20,000 people attending the final did, that's potentially £200k worth of additional bonuses. At our level, that's a probably a good amount of motivation.

Actually, the idea is not as daft as it sounds. If we keep losing, people do end up not paying - because they stop coming.

Even now, any club that's not linking player bonuses to attendance/crowd is missing a trick. The more the players win, the more people attend games; the more they put money into the club coffers, the more players get paid. Incentives drive performance.

Question: If you were due to attend a play-off final for £40 and the club offered to make the deal £35.00 if we lost but £50.00 if we won, would you take them up on the offer? If 20,000 people attending the final did, that's potentially £200k worth of additional bonuses. At our level, that's a probably a good amount of motivation.

Hmmmmm. In some clubs, fans go anyway regardless of results (Man City, Newcastle). In other areas, attendance is based on economics rather than success. I like it, but I think it's a factor too far to validate.

Rather a bold catch-all statement. And if that statement was to be true one hundred percent of the time then I am sure that bonuses would be a far bigger factor than they are now. There are of course many other non-monetary factors as to why individuals (or teams) perform and have the motivation to play at their best.

Hmmmmm. In some clubs, fans go anyway regardless of results (Man City, Newcastle). In other areas, attendance is based on economics rather than success. I like it, but I think it's a factor too far to validate.

Exactly my feelings, it's a theory.

Rather a bold catch-all statement. And if that statement was to be true one hundred percent of the time then I am sure that bonuses would be a far bigger factor than they are now. There are of course many other non-monetary factors as to why individuals (or teams) perform and have the motivation to play at their best.

I don't remember claiming 100% anywhere. However, it still remains true that incentives drive performance. Of course they won't always be financial but the context of this thread was financial reimbursement of fans. The Charlton fans were only looking to pay for fans' tickets not cuddle them, stroke their egos or threaten them with cucumbers. Obviously, then we'd be about to talk about that mythical 100%. End of, fact, etc..

I know this is barely related here, but did anyone see the Cardiff v Shrewsbury crowd the other day? 4,000 or something in a 33,000 capacity stadium? Nice to see the fans who were selling the place out during the premiership season are still there urging their players onto a potentially big money spinning tie in the next round. I'm also guessing around 1,500 - 2,000 of those fans were Shrewsbury as their corner seemed the only full block in the ground.

And still Moussa doesn't get a game ...............:'(
Played Saturday against the Ewes I think, he's still on his way back from injury.

That tweet, along with the one before was class from Jackson. So refreshing to see players take responsibility and actually address and apologise to the fans. So many are quick to lap up the praise when things are going well, but are nowhere to be seen when the going gets tough.

Indeed, it was refreshing to see players taking responsibility and holding their hands up. No surprise there is a groundswell of feeling wanting him to take over as manager in the not too distant future.

Charlton have to get rid of the current hierarchy at the club which is absolutely killing it.

What percentage of those loyal Newcastle fans were at St James' Park Wednesday evening in 1991 when things weren't going so well?

Generally success drives attendances....we are more likely to get larger crowds winning and getting promoted in League 2, than losing and getting relegated in League 1

"Question: If you were due to attend a play-off final for £40 and the club offered to make the deal £35.00 if we lost but £50.00 if we won, would you take them up on the offer?"

Yes. I'd put a fiver on the win to redress the balance.

I know this is barely related here, but did anyone see the Cardiff v Shrewsbury crowd the other day? 4,000 or something in a 33,000 capacity stadium? Nice to see the fans who were selling the place out during the premiership season are still there urging their players onto a potentially big money spinning tie in the next round. I'm also guessing around 1,500 - 2,000 of those fans were Shrewsbury as their corner seemed the only full block in the ground.
The crowd was 4,782 with 582 from Shrewsbury.

That's pretty rubbish for Cardiff and from Shrewsbury - it is only about 100 miles away so quite local for them. Of course playing the game on a Sunday might not have helped (unless I am the only one that thinks this is a bit barmy) .....
Only 109 miles but a 5 hour round trip on Welsh roads, bit different to a motorway jaunt:blush:

I think a lot of fans became far less accepting of Vincent Tan and his bonkers way once Cardiff stopped winning games. Funny that.

Back