• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

reinforcements needed

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joolz @ Jan. 27 2005,13:06)]Am I missing something? I just don't get this attitude of 'promotion at all costs this year', in fact I don't get the obesession with promotion full stop.

Why do we follow Southend - fundamentally because we enjoy it. Do we really think that a season in League 1 will be any more entertaining than what we are getting now? OK, the opposition is of a slightly higher standard, but that doesn't necessarily mean the games are any better. Don't forget that we had some shocking seasons in our Division 1 days, and that was playing the likes of Wolves, Derby, etc...

Don't get me wrong - I would love it if we got promoted this season, but if we don't then it will bother me for about 5 minutes. It will still have been an exciting season.

The most important thing for me is that we have a club that is well run (which it now is), a club that has a good relationship with it's fans (which it now does), a club that tries to play attractive football (mostly yes), and most importantly that WE HAVE A CLUB (for now, yes).
What's the point of any professional sport if your ultimate goal isn't winning?

Perhaps long run success is more your priority than short term which is fair enough and something I agree with.

But, if you're not fussed about getting promoted, then, really, what's the point?

Back