• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Feb. 11 2005,17:00)]February 14th
Ed Harcourt - Loneliness
Willy Mason - Oxygen

February 21st
Charlotte Hatherley - Bastardo
Idlewild - Love Steals Us From Loneliness
The Wonder Stuff - Bile Chant/Excape From Rubbish Island

February 28th
Björk - Triumph Of A Heart
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Get Ready For Love
Ocean Colour Scene - Free My Name
Ed Harcourt and Willy Mason - Both write great, simple songs that make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up with their brilliance.

Charlotte Hatherley - What can I say that hasn't been mentioned before? Guitar wielding Godess with Ash, really good little album full of quirky indie tunes and a hilarious video for this song.

Idlewild - Seems like they've been around for ages and never fail to make good records. If you like them then check out the raw power and intensity of their really early releases.

The Wonder Stuff - As a baggy t-shirt and jeans wearing youngster I used to be a bit of a fan, however I'd imagine a comeback now will be a bit embaressing and ill-advised.

Bjork and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Both wierd individuals in their own unique way and both make fantastic, if at times very strange, music. Great to see them back.

Ocean Colour Scene - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quite possibly the worst band in the world ever!

KT Tunstall is pure class. Got her album last year and one of the best of 2004 IMHO!

Going to see her at the scala soon and looking forward to it!

Rock chick with attitude, check her out. She has an excellent voice.

www.kttunstall.co.uk

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 11 2005,17:17)]Embrace tune is OK but can be a bit annoying. Fit bird in the video though.

biggrin.gif
I'm in no doubt whatsoever that Embrace will get a slating from the media for that tune. Sadly, Embrace seem to be an easy target for the music media and that tune is, IMO, not one of the best off the album which I rate highly.

I'd have released Wish 'em all Away.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 13 2005,08:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 12 2005,20:22)]Anyway, back to something good. Stereophonic's new single is actually one of their best for a few years. They've released some utter sh*te lately but this is back to the old school days.
Sorry Kev, disagree with you there. They are and have always been a sh*t Dad-Rock band, dull and getting duller!
Word Gets Around - "dad rock"??
rock.gif

Not so sure myself

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Feb. 14 2005,09:07)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 12 2005,20:22)]Anyway, back to something good. Stereophonic's new single is actually one of their best for a few years. They've released some utter sh*te lately but this is back to the old school days.
Sorry Kev, disagree with you there. They are and have always been a sh*t Dad-Rock band, dull and getting duller!
Word Gets Around - "dad rock"??  
rock.gif

Not so sure myself
Yes Dad-rock. Dull, unispiring, pedestrian and totally forgettable. IMHO of course

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Feb. 11 2005,16:00)]February 14th
Aberfeldy - Love Is An Arrow
Biffy Clyro - Only One Word Comes To Mind
Death From Above 1979 - Blood On Our Hands
Ed Harcourt - Loneliness
Emiliana Torrini - Sunny Road
Felix da Housecat - Ready 2 Wear (Emperor Norton)
Grounded - I Need A Girl
House Of Love - Love You Too Much
Low - California
Six By Seven - Ocean/Clouds
Willy Mason - Oxygen

February 21st
The Beat Up - Alright
Elvis Presley - (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame
The Engineers - Forgiveness
Futureheads - Hounds Of Love
Kaiser Chiefs - Oh My God
Maximo Park - Apply Some Pressure
Nelly ft. Tim McGraw - Over & Over
The Postal Service - We Will Become Silhouettes

February 28th
Alec Empire - Gotta Get Out
Carlos Adolfo Dominguez - B.O.O.B.I.E.S. (Gut)
LCD Soundsystem - Daft Punk Is Playing At My House (DFA)
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Get Ready For Love
Towers Of London - On A Noose
If I had the time and money...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 11 2005,17:09)]Good to see Embrace and Björk with a track out... anyone heard yet, any good?  
Could Embrace be the dullest act in the world?

Could Björk be the most annoying?

Cheers

Phil C.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Feb. 14 2005,11:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 11 2005,17:09)]Good to see Embrace and Björk with a track out... anyone heard yet, any good?  

Cheers

Phil C.
No Phil, you can still lay claim to both of those titles don't worry.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 14 2005,10:32)]Yes Dad-rock. Dull, unispiring, pedestrian and totally forgettable. IMHO of course
I'm surprised by that. I thought it encapsulated life in a small Welsh town from a teenager's perspective. Local Boy in Photograph, I feel, will be one of my top tunes for a long time.

Performance and Cocktails seemed like them trying to do the same stuff but it wasn't as fresh and everything since has been listenable but not great.

[b said:
[b said:
Wahey... I agree!

laugh.gif

Quite enjoyed Handbags & Gladrags, but that may be because it's a cover - they really haven't departed from the Rod Stewart interpretation of that song at all...

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 14 2005,11:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Feb. 14 2005,11:12)]
[b said:

Cheers

Phil C.
No Phil, you can still lay claim to both of those titles don't worry.

tounge.gif
laugh.gif

I'm on a roll. Is there anyone more annoying than the slap-headed, Swiss-resident, UK tax-exiled Buster star, I wonder?!

tounge.gif

As for Björk, hurrah for her says I. In the world of churned-out, Stock-Aitken-&-Watermanesque pop vomit, hers is a truly individual voice.

Some of the stuff she's done is odd, some is downright unlistenable.

But it's all truly individualistic, and occasionally she produces the sort of genius which most musicians, let alone us mere mortals, can only dream of.

Hers is the music that people will study in 150 years time. Like Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Howlin' Wolf, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Lennon & McCartney and Stevie Wonder, she is one of the true great innovators and one of the true great geniuses.

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 13 2005,08:45)]Ocean Colour Scene - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Ah, now no longer grinning, as I now have echoes of Chris Evans and "duuuur-da-da-duur-da-da" in B, D and E running through my head.

ghostface.gif

Here's a philosophical question: what constitutes Dad-rock and is it necessarily a bad thing? (*)

rock.gif

Matt

(*Asks the question since (a) he loves Sting; but (b) knows deep down that it is quintessentially MOR...)

oops.gif

Ive just been listening to the Chemical Brothers, and i like them. Anyone else heard of them?

Galvanise is there newest tune out I think.
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend_utd_fan @ Feb. 14 2005,22:00)]Ive just been listening to the Chemical Brothers, and i like them. Anyone else heard of them?

Galvanise is there newest tune out I think.
cool.gif
Yeah it is. And to be honest, i'm not really into that kind of music, but I love that choon
biggrin.gif

Also been listening to all da new hip hop tunes, love dem. Also I like the remix of j'lo's new tune. I have to listen and watch music on the tv as I work in a gym.

biggrin.gif

The Chemical Brothers are one of my favourite dance acts, they have done some absolute classics, the most famous probably being 'Hey boy, Hey girl' one of the best dance choons ever.
Galvanise is good but I don't think that their new stuff is as good as their early stuff (early-mid nineties).

Alexis

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alexis_SUFC @ Feb. 14 2005,22:10)]The Chemical Brothers are one of my favourite dance acts, they have done some absolute classics, the most famous probably being 'Hey boy, Hey girl' one of the best dance choons ever.
Galvanise is good but I don't think that their new stuff is as good as their early stuff (early-mid nineties).

Alexis
What about out of control?
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 14 2005,18:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 13 2005,08:45)]Ocean Colour Scene - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a philosophical question: what constitutes Dad-rock and is it necessarily a bad thing? (*)
In response to the first quote, it seems odd you think that as well as the 'Phonics. To an extent, you can't take an honest perspective over the bands you grow up with. Nonetheless, Moseley Shoals was a massive album in my life as well as most of my mates and there wasn't a tune about that represented holidays camping in Swanage and suchlike than The Day We Caught The Train.

As for the second quote, I think that the key part of dad rock is that it is listenable and pleasant to have on your radio but seriously lacks in the innovative, inspirational, genuinely energetic and/or cool stakes. For instance, I've always thought that David Gray is dad-rock. Sure, the tunes sound nice enough and played back, you recognise them. However, apart from the David Gray track (Please Forgive Me) with a rapid drum beat accompaniment, they really all sound quite 'drony' to me.

Same with the Stereophonics post P&C. The energy they can muster all seems terribly forced as opposed to the natural vigour in most of Word Gets Around.

Sadly, it seems the only way bands can avoid going to dad-rock status is by taking a rapidly different sound (see Blur, Radiohead) or ride a wave of media hype whenever sales seem to be flagging (see Oasis, perhaps former Libertines line-up).

Then again, some bands are just cool (I looked up sufcintheprem on Google and got this...)

Who-MaxRAndB.jpg

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 12 2005,20:29)]If i was ever to buy singles, these are the one's i'd buy. Replace 'buy' with 'download' ( LEGALLY, of course
tounge.gif
)...
laugh.gif

February 14th

Biffy Clyro - Only One Word Comes To Mind
Death From Above 1979 - Blood On Our Hands
Embrace - Looking As You Are
Trick Daddy - Let's Go
Willy Mason - Oxygen

February 21st

The Engineers - Forgiveness
Futureheads - Hounds Of Love
Kaiser Chiefs - Oh My God
Maximo Park - Apply Some Pressure
Nelly ft. Tim McGraw - Over & Over

February 28th

The Black Velvets - 3345
The Bravery - An Honest Mistake
Fightstar - They Liked You Better When You Were Dead (EP)
Hell Is For Heroes - Models For The Programme
Kano - Typical Me
LCD Soundsystem - Daft Punk Is Playing At My House (DFA)
The Mad Capsule Markets - Happy Ride
Stereophonics - Dakota
Steriogram - Go
Buy Styles & Breeze kev.., gowan.. u know ya wanna!! Ill buy the Bravery if u do
biggrin.gif

Dave

Back