• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Relegation appeal

I agree with you, but isn't the appeal based on allowing the two NL sides to join an enlarged L2? With four teams relegated from L2 in the following season? I'm sure I read that somewhere. However, all 24 teams in L2 knew that relegation was going to happen. Apparently Grimsby have been asking questions since February, but we all knew the rules. We deserve to go down.

I just can’t see the EFL going for that. What’s to stop the two teams who finish 21st and 22nd then launching their own legal challenge on the basis that in any other season, they would’ve been safe?

I just can’t see the EFL going for that. What’s to stop the two teams who finish 21st and 22nd then launching their own legal challenge on the basis that in any other season, they would’ve been safe?

What you really mean, is what's the chances of us winning two appeals in a row?

Yes, I don't think that the appeal has much chance of success. Nor should it.

I agree with you, but isn't the appeal based on allowing the two NL sides to join an enlarged L2? With four teams relegated from L2 in the following season? I'm sure I read that somewhere. However, all 24 teams in L2 knew that relegation was going to happen. Apparently Grimsby have been asking questions since February, but we all knew the rules. We deserve to go down.

I think an appeal that was predicated upon 74 clubs splitting monies (such as solidarity payments) intended for 72 would cause all sorts of problems, even if it was for one season. Especially when there is no pressing or credible reason for it.

As you say, everyone has known the rules for months. This looks opportunistic - because it is.

Reading the statement from Grimsby this was already being looked into by the EFL as soon as the NL decided on no relegation, it's just had more focus on it since the two teams to go down was decided.

Do I think it's right? Not really.

Do I think the NL maintained its integrity since they scrapped relegation? Not really.

As we know the EFL aren't known for their joined up thinking so who knows what the outcome will be

I think an appeal that was predicated upon 74 clubs splitting monies (such as solidarity payments) intended for 72 would cause all sorts of problems, even if it was for one season. Especially when there is no pressing or credible reason for it.

As you say, everyone has known the rules for months. This looks opportunistic - because it is.
So which one of the diddy clubs do you support pal? I'm sure that your interest in this isn't entirely self-serving. Get in the sea with your 'credibility' patter.

(Sorry been watching 'Still Game')

The teams that finished 21st & 22nd would be fine with it. In an enlarged L2 it would be the four teams in 23rd to 26th that got relegated.

So which one of the diddy clubs do you support pal? I'm sure that your interest in this isn't entirely self-serving. Get in the sea with your 'credibility' patter.

(Sorry been watching 'Still Game')

Are Blackpool a diddy club.......? I don't think so. Bit lazy not to check basilrobbie's messages to find the answer to your question, Patch.....

I fully support the appeal and

Carpe potestatem

Can't believe we're being told that the National League bar Dover remained competitive when they announced there would be no relegations hahahaha what a load of bollocks
The issue was not about promotion to or relegation from the National League, it was about the welfare of many semi-pro clubs within the North and South divisions. With the Covid issues and lack of financial support the NL to their credit asked clubs in all 3 of their divisions their views. This resulted in the North and South clubs voting to void their leagues, in many cases to ensure the future of their club. That in my view is not about being competitive, that’s common sense for club and it’s supporters.

I see ebbsfleet have had there appeal turned down to be reinstated to the conference

The issue was not about promotion to or relegation from the National League, it was about the welfare of many semi-pro clubs within the North and South divisions. With the Covid issues and lack of financial support the NL to their credit asked clubs in all 3 of their divisions their views. This resulted in the North and South clubs voting to void their leagues, in many cases to ensure the future of their club. That in my view is not about being competitive, that’s common sense for club and it’s supporters.

As I understand it, the issue within the NL is that some clubs - mainly the smaller ones - qualified for grant during COVID. For everyone who didn't qualify for grant, the only support available came in the form of a loan and had conditions attached.

I think from memory that the position Dover found themselves in was that they didn't qualify for grant, and their position in terms of debt is/was such that they thought taking on more through the COVID loan put them at increased and unacceptable levels of risk - which would be compounded by the ongoing costs of staging home matches without crowds to generate receipts.

I therefore understand why they went the route they did and the punishment that has followed seems disproportionate and pernicious to me.

BREAKING- The #ColU @ColU_Official owner, Robbie Cowling, is backing #Southend
@SUFCRootsHall and @officialgtfc in their proposal to change the @EFL relegation regulations this season.

“I thought it at the time but it would’ve seemed self-serving. The way the National League has been run this season is atrocious. There’s no integrity in that league. At least deduct points for next season for teams in relegation places”

Interesting. Of course putting aside what we deserve the fact doesn't go away that the EFL were absolutely clear about their views on relegation into leagues that did not include promotion and relegation. Looks like Robbie Cowling (who many on here admire) agrees...
We have a case based on the EFL's prior position-- I still expect the EFL to wriggle out of it so don't worry those who feel we should be relegated can stand easy. But RC is right.

BREAKING- The #ColU @ColU_Official owner, Robbie Cowling, is backing #Southend
@SUFCRootsHall and @officialgtfc in their proposal to change the @EFL relegation regulations this season.

“I thought it at the time but it would’ve seemed self-serving. The way the National League has been run this season is atrocious. There’s no integrity in that league. At least deduct points for next season for teams in relegation places”

Interesting. Of course putting aside what we deserve the fact doesn't go away that the EFL were absolutely clear about their views on relegation into leagues that did not include promotion and relegation. Looks like Robbie Cowling (who many on here admire) agrees...
We have a case based on the EFL's prior position-- I still expect the EFL to wriggle out of it so don't worry those who feel we should be relegated can stand easy. But RC is right.

They'll "wriggle out of it" because we have such a poor reputation they couldn't care less about us. I suppose it then depends on what they think about Grimsby...which is probably not a lot!

Back