• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Relegation appeal

So games between mid table teams are worthless & not competitive then? As they have no relegation fears.
I don’t buy this argument at all - teams have a personal pride to do well, relegation or not

you know they are towards the end of the season. How many times are teams described as on the beach or on their holidays. And not go for 50/50’s to avoid picking up injuries.

Can anyone tell me is our feathered friend giving the same grief to the Grimsby forum or is his vitriol just for us.

Lots of NL teams gave up months ago. I know the captain of Dagenham and even before Dover quit many NL players hearts weren't in it. They didn't even want to be travelling on coaches etc as they knew it was wrong.

Several clubs felt forced into completing the season and its done them no favours long term. We don't even know the extent of the damage this will cause and many of those clubs would not have even started the season had they known about the change in funding half way through. Which is exactly why they have no confidence in the people who run the NL

For Basil Fawlty to come on here and claim the NL finished with integrity is absolute nonsense. Who ever gets promoted has done it under false pretences at a lot of other clubs expense and long term damage.

Claiming that the EFL would have to change their relegation rules is also nonsense. Its a different league and there are several cases where the clubs who won promotion were not accepted. Torquay of course benefitted on one of those occasions and you can guarantee there were no angry gulls, feeling ashamed that season.

So equally the EFL will have to decide whether its right that 2 teams are sent into a league that is in real danger of being a bigger farce than this season. So much so that financially it could all collapse with just one lockdown.

Bizarre times in life and football. As you all know there has been some real winners and losers in lockdown, so don't rule anything out.

I'm going to throw something out there, I don't think Ron is chancing his arm here with any expectation of retaining league status, I think he sees a rather nice fat cheque heading his way.
Regardless of how the first hearing goes a can of worms has been fully opened. I'd expect it to rumble on long enough for next season to have started, with us playing National League fixtures. At which point it'll all be sorted out as a nice big wedge of cash is handed over to Ron and his Grimsby counter parts.
Cue the continued hot air about things being unfair but a line being drawn under it thanks to this large sum of money to splurge on another Bentley.

This is just embarrassing and sad from a desperate little weasel of a man.
True but this was going to happen no matter who got relegated, don't for a second think that any other chairman would be doing anything different.

The fact that it is open to a challenge is all on the EFL

My view is that the National League season can't be completed without relegation from the national league because that is the terms under which they started the season.

The NL chamged their rules so why can't the EFL?

The EFL can change their rules. But why would they?

There's no moral or legal reason why they would change. There's no logistical reason as it would make things much more difficult to run a 26 team league than 24. And changing the rules would fly in the face of sporting integrity.

I thought the on-field events of the past 30 months were the lowest of the low but somehow this action has managed to take us even lower.

To be clear - if this works I'll take it and I'll be delighted. But it won't work. It is desperate and embarrassing.

Under the Covid rules the money from the sale of season tickets wasn't released. So you can argue the point that Covid put us in the bottom 2 and if it therefore saves us then so what.

IIRC the season ticket money wasn't released because First Data thought there was a good chance we would go bust. That was definitely self-inflicted.

IIRC the season ticket money wasn't released because First Data thought there was a good chance we would go bust. That was definitely self-inflicted.
I thought it was released to us game by game in case season ticket holders did a chargeback for not getting what they paid for

It was yeah because the chargeback risk diminishes as the games are played. But they wouldn't have held the money for other clubs. The chargeback is only a risk for First Data if there's no football club to ultimately pay it as otherwise it falls to them.

I'd rather see the German team from Escape to Victory promoted than Torquay.

Now now, if Torquay do indeed get promoted then fair play to them however we can hope that Ron's appeal also works and 4 get relegated next season in which we can all hope that one of those is Torquay and not because I have anythinh against the club other than their self appointed ambassador who has decided to rile us up on here because he is bored.

Back