• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Relegation- would it be that bad

Badger74

Manager
If we stayed up this year how would we perform next season?
My view is unless we got 10 new players in ( never going to happen) who are good league 1 players than I would think we would struggle all season and we would all have to go through what we have this season which has been really depressing not only at games but every day.
Now if we go down this season, is it the end of the world? no. The main thing this season is to ensure we have a club to support next season.
If we stay in league 1 and results dont go our way our crowds could go down to as low 4000 where a good season in league 2 would see our crowds rise to 6-7000.
If we was challeging in top 4 in league 2 all season how good would it feel week in week out.
Also lots of new places to visit burton,morcambe,accrington,stevenage and shrewsburys new ground. Local derby with D&R (How many would we take?) the old running battles with aldershot.... and the best bit terraces to stand in with no seats in front of you.
Yes we would not be playing teams like norwich,leeds or charlton but we need to get a feel good factor going again.
So if we do go down (which I think we will) it will not be the end of the world
What do you think?

I think if we go down, it would make fans happy to win quite a few games, and possibly win the league or go to wembley in play offs. And we can rebuild a team and have a fresh start again, but it depends on ron. if he wants to rebuild the team well he needs to give tilly the money to invest in new players.

Going down could be a disaster for many reasons. We have players that can't wait to get away, we have players who are contracted at Championship wages, but will be playing in League 2. The current team is nowhere near good enough to get automatic promotion. The season ticket revenue will be a lot less (some of which has already been gathered and spent). The pay by match fans will pay League 2 prices.

The only way it will be good is if R.M. finds money to invest in the team and a bigger squad. He will need to find a quality Left Back, a new attacking midfield that scores and creates goals and of course a couple of goalscorers with One of those capable of getting over 24 goals in that season. That's what wins you promotion.

In my view we are too good to go down, but go down we will because of a number of much mentioned reasons. I think we will in the long term end up stronger, whether this will be promotion at the first attempt is anyone's guess, but the good times will come again.

I think relegation would be a very bad thing! We'd have to re-shape the team almost completely, rely on a lot of youngsters to make the step up and perform, the chances of promotion are slim unless we get that working out well. There are a few other problems we would encounter too. But every week this seems what is most likely going to happen.

In my view we are too good to go down, but go down we will because of a number of much mentioned reasons. I think we will in the long term end up stronger, whether this will be promotion at the first attempt is anyone's guess, but the good times will come again.

Not sure how you can say that one win in seventeen away from home can't kill off the poor sides at home top scorer on four goals no goals for three games I'd say were prime for relegation and have been since jan.

Not sure how you can say that one win in seventeen away from home can't kill off the poor sides at home top scorer on four goals no goals for three games I'd say were prime for relegation and have been since jan.

Jesus - even Teflon Ron couldn't argue with any of that..... :'(

Part of me believes we are going to stay up and will do until it is no longer possible.(Not sure Tilson really means this when he says it though).

Part of me is preparing for life in the Blue Square.

With what we have left after all the loaned players have gone Div one wont be such a bad starting point .And if Tilson leaves he would have got us back from where he picked us up from .Oh what a roller coster ride we have had .

I'm actually looking forward to the prospect of playing Accrington away on a cold and wet Tuesday night. The romance of football.

A trip to Aldershot - if they are not of course in a higher league by then - won't be quite the same since Fullers acquired Gales Ales.

It would be a chance to rebuild a poor team if Ron ( who whoever) can invest in the squad.

What we will be left when the loan players go back isnt great but its a starting point and would welcome a new start in league 2 if we can just sort out the mess we are in....

It would be a chance to rebuild a poor team if Ron ( who whoever) can invest in the squad.

What we will be left when the loan players go back isnt great but its a starting point and would welcome a new start in league 2 if we can just sort out the mess we are in....

Trust me, it won't just be the loan players going, most/many of the 'recognised' contract players will be going also, this WILL happen whether we are in league one or league two, none of them trust Martin any longer, some have also 'cooked their goose' by speaking out against Martin. I will also be very surprised if Tilly stays. Who could blame any of them? i certainly couldn't. UTB

it won't just be the loan players going, most/many of the 'recognised' contract players will be going also, this WILL happen whether we are in league one or league two, none of them trust Martin any longer, some have also 'cooked their goose' by speaking out against Martin. I will also be very surprised if Tilly stays. Who could blame any of them? i certainly couldn't. UTB

Yeah bit of a scary thought what we would be left with if some players go.

Never dull with us at the moment :'(

I could quite easily handle "dull" at the moment, at least until the end of the season, that is as long as we stay up. UTB

What do we have to start with, with one victory this year a wholesale clearout is just what Southend need, imo.

Back