• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Remembering Terry Cornwell (aka TC and Muncher).

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
It is with a very heavy heart that last Tuesday 7th.September I attended the funeral of my good friend Terry Cornwell at Saint Nicholas Church in Great Wakering.
We first got to know each other at Great Wakering Secondary School in about 1963/64. I was in the class above Terry who had come from the Junior school in Barling Magna and we soon became firm friends due mainly to our mutual love of both Southend United and The Rolling Stones and we would often travel on the same bus (4B) to matches at Roots Hall. After we had both left school in 1966 we then continued to follow the team both at home and also away. Back then this led to some exciting times as well as a few scary ones especially in the middle to late 60's when we would often hitch-hike to games together visiting places like Lincoln City (Hmm!), Exeter City, Bradford Park Avenue, Swindon & Mansfield Town to name just a few as well as the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Ipswich Town, Spurs & West Ham United when we had a free Saturday's with Southend United playing on a Friday night.
One particular match that I would like to mention is the league cup match against Wolves at Molineux in September '68. Back in those days all clubs played their first team no resting of players back then so we faced the likes of Derek Dougan & Peter Knowles to name just a couple. We were beaten 1-0 by a last minute goal. I had travelled to the match on the supporters coach where as Terry had gone by car with another old school friend Trevor Wills-Dog also travelling along were Ian Leask & Charlie Benson both regular fans at away matches at that time. On the way they were involved in a serious car accident which ended with the car upside down and in the words of Charlie Benson petrol was just p...... in as they were trying to get out of the car as quickly as possible which was just as well as the three in the back were all smoking. They were all taken to the local hospital to be checked over and were going to be kept in for observation but Terry, Charlie & Ian were having none of it, discharged themselves and still managed to get to the game on time. A great story I am NOT so sure but back then getting to matches was always the No.1 priority for us all.
Another of Terry's great loves was his fishing as well as his boat's, a love we certainly did not share as I often told him that my only interest regarding fish was those I often ate at the Fish House nearby.
Over many years we always enjoyed each others company going to concerts which included the likes of Led Zeppelin in '69 & Creedence Clearwater in '70 at the Royal Albert Hall and of course the many times we saw The Rolling Stones. Later in life we both worked in Royal Mail, Terry in Shoeburyness where as I worked in Rochford although Terry was a postie a great deal longer than my 21 years.
For about the last 15/20 years we had seen each other on a regular basis at matches both sitting near each other in the East Stand Green Seats meeting often in the Shrimpers pre-match and at half-time you would always find us under the TV (it's no longer there, only the bracket remains) near the food bar putting the world to rights, something we always did until bloody Covid turned up.
Terry became ill earlier this year and sadly passed away in August at the tender age of 70 suffering from cancer ironically the same illness that took his cousin Stan the Referee just a few weeks earlier.
Terry was a guy who was dedicated to his family and very well liked by all those who knew him judging by the amount of people who came to say goodbye to him at the church service last week.
Finally Terry was a truly great friend of mine and someone you could always rely on to watch your back, and he always stood by me in my time of need. Rest in Peace T.C. Love Ya Loads Brabbs.x

Back