• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Remembrance Sunday..

J

The Chameleon
Today, once again, i had the upmost privelage of being at Westminster, and the cenotaph, for possibly the most important day in the yearly calendar.

I was up at 5:30 for the train from Rochford this morning, once i arrived at westminster, the place was already heaving at half 8!!

Being In the presence of heroes is hard to describe. I actually went along today for My Grandfather (RIP) who was with the Americans in WW2 and stormed the beaches of normandy, and went on to Paris and Berlin with them.

I was so happy the spirit of the day was for the past and just as importantly today, it's hard to describe the feeling you get when your standing there with Paras from 1940 on your left shoulder, and paras from op herrick in afghanistan 2008 on your right. The fella on the left, is 85 years plus, with maybe 8 or 9 medals, the fella on the right is probably mid 20's. but still with 6 maybe 7 medals, plus bars. Each deserving of more than the Government, and the country provides.

I went last year, but it was not as busy as this. The nation's attitude to the forces has changed ten folds in 12 months, soldiers were being abused in uniform, but today, people (including me) were giving the seats up on the underground for 20 year old heroes in uniform, and thats how it should be.

I did shed a tear on the 2 minutes silence, as i always do, and i feel there is nothing wrong with admitting that, my mate who is an RMP also shed his, for the buddies he knew. But he know longer can talk to.

The Ghurkas got a big cheer, as well they should, not only do they fight for our country, they have also had to fight against our country, for the undeniable right to live here.

I reccomend that people should do this at least once in their life, as it truly is a moving experience, humbling and definitely worth it, to stand in the presence of heroes for a morning is something which should be cherished... Like the heroes themselves.

Can you tell us more about your Grandad J?

Back