• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I don't hate them at all and find the We hate Orient chant very monotonous. Fair play to them for supporting Orient when it would be easy to glory hunt and support West Ham or one of the other London teams. I think Orient will struggle as their natural fan base moves further away from their home ground and they are left with the family tie in with the club to attract their future fan base.

As for hatred Col U is another matter!!

How exactly is supporting Wet Sham glory hunting? There's nothing glorious about them!

No one does hate them - Fans join in with chants because we as a nation are followers and some youngsters think it is 'cool'. What's to 'hate' about any club? get over it.

I don't hate Orient, I hate losing to them because my cousin supports them, and I hate him having bragging rights.

As for the "We hate Orient" chant. I just see it as a tongue in cheek **** take based on their chant. I liken it to the response of "Seaweed" to Brighton's chant of "Seagulls". Granted a full 90 minutes of it is a bit sad, but the chant itself is intended to be ironic. That said, I actually prefer chants about how good we are, not how bad the opposition is.

As an aside, I can't stand the other chant I heard on the telly, which was "Orient's a ********, I wanno go home." If that's the case then **** off home, no-one's stopping you.

Its funny the fact that in "loveable football banter" terms, pretty much every team we play get called "pikey c*nts". If we play a London team: "pikeys c*nts" a northern team: "pikey c*nts" etc... I even remember being in the away end for the cup game vs Canvey in 2003 and some of our fans were calling them pikeys. I was thinking "theyre are only a few miles from us!"...

Its funny the fact that in "loveable football banter" terms, pretty much every team we play get called "pikey c*nts". If we play a London team: "pikeys c*nts" a northern team: "pikey c*nts" etc... I even remember being in the away end for the cup game vs Canvey in 2003 and some of our fans were calling them pikeys. I was thinking "theyre are only a few miles from us!"...

Very true. I think there is a Carvan holiday park somewhere in Canvey. An assumption I presume. Chanting is just designed to rile the opposition and boost your own ego in my opinion.

Very true. I think there is a Carvan holiday park somewhere in Canvey. An assumption I presume. Chanting is just designed to rile the opposition and boost your own ego in my opinion.

LOL yeah. Well Southend is famous for hosting numerous wheeled houses (caravans) in its time, so I felt it was a case of pot, kettle, black.

LOL yeah. Well Southend is famous for hosting numerous wheeled houses (caravans) in its time, so I felt it was a case of pot, kettle, black.

Of course it is. Football fans don't look beyond their nose though, do they!? :smile:

How about "I prefer Southend to you!!" to the tune of "We hate west ham more then you".

Very pub-bantery I think....

was at Arsenal v West Ham other week and hammers singing 'we hate tottenham more than you.." hate that song. Cringeworthy. We don't hate west ham more than orient. but that said you could just put everything down to banter and then it becomes acceptable, right?

My favourite (and genuinely bantery) chant was against Norwich in a friendly a few years back. A few people were singing "Does your livestock know your here!" at the Naarwich fans. Classic.

It all follows from I.Q.V. law. Oh yes - of course I hear you say.

Let me remind you - "the willingness to generate an amount of Volume from any one individual irrespective of the subject matter is conversely related to their Intelligence Quotient (I.Q.)"

The clear effect of this law is that those who are not sheep do not feel it is appropriate to join in the singing when it is offensive or just stupid.

And the resulting unfortunate side effect is that those with the lowest I.Q. are both a) unable to understand why more people are not joining in with the chanting and b) less likely to be able to come up with anything new or amusing.

However, at certain times a critical mass of spectators involved seems to generate an over-ride of the I.Q.V. law. For instance, Chelsea away in the F.A. Cup (sponsored by a taste-less by product of brewing) when the sheer joy of the occasion renders even the lowest I.Q. individual with a willingness to sign about their team rather than being offensive about the opposition.

........... I had better put the text book back on the shelf now ..............

My favourite (and genuinely bantery) chant was against Norwich in a friendly a few years back. A few people were singing "Does your livestock know your here!" at the Naarwich fans. Classic.

"We forgot that you were queer" at Brighton fans, one of the best I've heard.

I don't hate them at all and find the We hate Orient chant very monotonous. Fair play to them for supporting Orient when it would be easy to glory hunt and support West Ham or one of the other London teams. I think Orient will struggle as their natural fan base moves further away from their home ground and they are left with the family tie in with the club to attract their future fan base.

As for hatred Col U is another matter!!

Quite right Wise Head. One of these surveys that pops up now and again, already shows that Orient season ticket holders live further from the ground than any other fans in the country. Unfortunately the local populace are increasingly more interested in cricket and hockey than football, so there is a major concern about the future viability of the club, which the Olympic Stadium decision hasn't helped in any way.

By far the most effective chant was a plain old "Come on Southend" by all of us 10 mins from the end when we were up against it and defending manfully...
I'm sure that the players appreciated that more than the "We 'ate .....") one

There was a chant in the film Quadrophenia by the mods when they were on the beach fighting against the rockers ....

.... we are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods ........

Replace "mods" with "blues" and you have a far more upbeat chant than "we hate etcetera ....."

Back