• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rendering a wall

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Have an external wall that half the render has fallen off. Have chipped off all the loose stuff ultimately be covered in plants. Never done this before so want to have a go.

What mix? Any tips?

Have an external wall that half the render has fallen off. Have chipped off all the loose stuff ultimately be covered in plants. Never done this before so want to have a go.

What mix? Any tips?

It's harder than it looks.....

54 views and not tips or advice. I wasn't expecting a fridge like discussion but thought there might have been some useful replies.

What mix? Any tips?

I think the mix is 4 parts course sand, 1 cement, 1 water.

Not sure on mix ratios, I've not rendered before. I'd mix up a little bit and practice a few times, by the time you get around to a second layer I reckon you'll have got the nack. I hadn't done repointing before so did a little bit to get the hang of it and then just went for it in a day and did the whole of our garden wall.

I guess with most jobs involving cement, it's about getting into a good rhythm. Mix smaller batches with a drill-mixer tool because it's quicker/easier to get to the right consistency.

Here goes!
Firstly make sure the existing render is stable! if when you tap it around bare area it's not solid,knock it off with a hammer until you can no longer knock off render easily!
Brush off dust/mould etc with wire brush.
mix up pva glue (wood glue,kids white glue) with water,(watery mix), brush on area!
As said mix 4 parts sharp sand to one part cement and plasticiser(you need very little of this look for febmix)
Plasticiser makes the cement more waterproof and workable.(this is where you may have seen the use of washing up liquid,but if you've got abit to do you might as well buy the proper stuff).
Mix up and trowel on! To level off find(or buy) a straight piece of timber that is longer than the patch you are filling if possible, Now keeping straight edge on original render slide until you have a flat surface between old and new.
Any excess new render as you work your way,take off straight edge clean with a trowel,put back in bucket and go again!
Like baking a cake the work is in the preperation!
Good Luck!

Job done. once painted and plant things growing up it, it will be fine. Thanks fellas.

Just for the record febmix has no waterproofing qualities and any waterproofer should go in the scratch coat(first coat) and none in the secound coat but well done Stevo.

Back