• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Renting properties

Vange Shrimper

Mrs Rock God
I was having a look at some estate agents' sites about renting properties, something to kill the time with, and I saw one that looked alright, but it says "Let contract - 6 months let". Does that mean that they'll kick you out after 6 months? I havent got a clue when it comes to things like these as I haven't renting a proper place before.

Ta.

often the time quoted is the min contract. you leave early, you pay 6 months. you then renew your contract after the initial 6 months for whatever period you agree with the landlord.

when i rented i think mine was 12 months...

however, in some cases people might be taking on a short term tenant so its something you should check before signing anything.

Last edited:
often the time quoted is the min contract. you leave early, you pay 6 months. you then renew your contract after the initial 6 months for whatever period you agree with the landlord.

however, in some cases people might be taking on a short term tenant so its something you should check before signing anything.

Right, ok then. Cheers. :)

yeah the 6 months is the tenancy length. you can't really break this although it's something that's possible to negotiate (but rare). after the 6 months you usually go onto a periodic contract which is one which just rolls on, or you agree to extend by a fixed length

It was probably 12 months, but either party could break with notice after 6 months.

Most landlords are however happy to renew or for it to continue as a periodic tenancy (basically as long as you pay and the landlord accepts your rent, after the 12 (or 6) months it just continues on the same terms as before without you having to sign anything, until either party tells the other it wants to terminate), as long as you are a good tenant - ie you pay on time.

Always remember to get on a three month contract at least. If you sign up to a month-to-month contract, it's all well and good for leaving easily, but it also means you can get kicked out with little or no notice, and asking for stuff like repairs is a nightmare, as it makes more economic sense for the landlord to kick you out than fix anything.

Minimum Letting contract is usually 6 months. Maximum is 12 months. The landlord/owner contacts you a couple of months before the lease expires to ask if you want to stay for another year, or to tell you that they are not prepared to renew the lease.

As a landlord I personally would always want a minimum of six months and a maximum of twelve. A month to month contract from a landlords point of view is a total nightmare as you want certainty.

I would usually take six weeks money upfront as a deposit plus a months money so you would need to have some cash behind you and your credit report has to be pretty decent as you dont want someone in your investment who is going to wreck it.

As long as my tennants pay the rent each month I am happy to renew but I usually check two months before to avoid any voids in my rent period. If they say they want to stay again then you would sign a new six-twelve month deal.

Last edited:
As a landlord I personally would always want a minimum of six months and a maximum of twelve. A month to month contract from a landlords point of view is a total nightmare as you want certainty.

I would usually take six weeks money upfront as a deposit plus a months money so you would need to have some cash behind you and your credit report has to be pretty decent as you dont want someone in your investment who is going to wreck it.

As long as my tennants pay the rent each month I am happy to renew but I usually check two months before to avoid any voids in my rent period. If they say they want to stay again then you would sign a new six-twelve month deal.

yeah true, from my experience deposits (bonds) are usually one months rent + 100quid.

with my current property it was a 6 month contract. the estate agent contacted me after 4 months asking if i wanted to renew for another 6 months or go 'periodic'... i'm now on a periodic and they have to give me 2 months notice and i have to give them just over 1 months (before the penultimate rent date). i think my situation is fairly generalisable.

Cheers for the advice guys. If I get this job I'm after at the school I'm working at at the moment, I'm going to have to go flat hunting for real!

i'm now on a periodic and they have to give me 2 months notice and i have to give them just over 1 months (before the penultimate rent date). i think my situation is fairly generalisable.

That is the same with my various tennants too....

Found out I could get £1,500 pcm if I rented my house out. Might go and live in a box for a while!

Back