• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers šŸ¤ ā­
After looking back to last nights events it made me realise how many times we lose 1-0 at home and how few times we win 1-0 away from home. Most teams come to Roots Hall looking for a point by putting men behind the ball, time-wasting etc etc and how we struggle to break them down. Crewe must of had 2/3 chances all night last night and scored 1 and then defended well. Fair play to them, they had a game plan and it worked perfectly. they have come away with a 1-0 win, only their second away win of the season. So I decided to have a look into the stats to see if it was true, or whether it just seemed that that was the case. These are the stats below starting in the Championship season, no doubt they would be even worse if we went back to the League Two Promotion season:

06/07 - Championship Relegation:

Wolves, Derby and Palace all won at Roots Hall 1-0. We only won once 1-0 away from home, that being at Cardiff.

07/08 - Play Off Semi Finals:

Carlisle, Oldham, Bristol Rovers all won at Roots Hall 1-0. We also lost 1-0 at home to Barnsley in the FA Cup. We only won twice away from home 1-0, them being at Oldham and Northampton.

08/09 - This Season:

Huddersfield, Yeovil and Crewe have all won at Roots Hall 1-0. We also lost 1-0 at home to Cheltenham in the League Cup. So far we haven't won 1-0 away from home at all.

So in three seasons we have lost 11 games at home 1-0 in all competitions and we have won 3 games away from home 1-0 in all competitions.

Why is this the case? Why do we struggle to break teams down at home, and why do we concede so many goals away from home? I'm not saying all of the 11 games we lost 1-0 was from teams defending for 90 minutes, but it is a case of struggling to break teams down. Also, these are the games we have won 1-0 at home during those spells:

Stoke and Burnley lost 1-0 at Roots Hall. Also, Manchester United lost 1-0 in the League Cup.

07/08 - Play Off Semi-Finals:

Millwall, Leeds and Walsall all lost 1-0 at Roots Hall.

08/09 - This Season:

Peterborough, Hereford, Leeds, Northampton and Bristol Rovers have all lost 1-0 at Roots Hall.

Just looking into the stats, I find it staggering to be honest. Now the players we have used in this games include the likes of JCR, Gower, Maher, Bailey, Macca, Walker, Laurent, Barnard, Freedman, Eastwood, Goater, Gray etc etc.

Can anyone come up with a reason why its such a struggle breaking teams down at Roots Hall. Do we play a factor in this? Do we not get behind them enough? Is it down to poor decisions from officials? Is it wrong team selection, wrong subs etc.

I'd like to see what other people think about this. How can we alter this and break teams down easier as we still have more home games to come that we could lose 1-0 and more away games where we might not win 1-0.

Good post, I think we just sit back sometimes when we go 1-0 up and when the opposition go 1-0 up we go forward but don't have the confidence to create enough good quality chances, whether the fans could do more to affect this is a different matter and sometimes we could

Good post, I think we just sit back sometimes when we go 1-0 up and when the opposition go 1-0 up we go forward but don't have the confidence to create enough good quality chances, whether the fans could do more to affect this is a different matter and sometimes we could

Some valid points there.

Anyone else who thinks they know the reason?

After looking back to last nights events it made me realise how many times we lose 1-0 at home and how few times we win 1-0 away from home. Most teams come to Roots Hall looking for a point by putting men behind the ball, time-wasting etc etc and how we struggle to break them down. Crewe must of had 2/3 chances all night last night and scored 1 and then defended well. Fair play to them, they had a game plan and it worked perfectly. they have come away with a 1-0 win, only their second away win of the season. So I decided to have a look into the stats to see if it was true, or whether it just seemed that that was the case. These are the stats below starting in the Championship season, no doubt they would be even worse if we went back to the League Two Promotion season:

Wolves, Derby and Palace all won at Roots Hall 1-0. We only won once 1-0 away from home, that being at Cardiff.

07/08 - Play Off Semi Finals:

Carlisle, Oldham, Bristol Rovers all won at Roots Hall 1-0. We also lost 1-0 at home to Barnsley in the FA Cup. We only won twice away from home 1-0, them being at Oldham and Northampton.

08/09 - This Season:

Huddersfield, Yeovil and Crewe have all won at Roots Hall 1-0. We also lost 1-0 at home to Cheltenham in the League Cup. So far we haven't won 1-0 away from home at all.

So in three seasons we have lost 11 games at home 1-0 in all competitions and we have won 3 games away from home 1-0 in all competitions.

Why is this the case? Why do we struggle to break teams down at home, and why do we concede so many goals away from home? I'm not saying all of the 11 games we lost 1-0 was from teams defending for 90 minutes, but it is a case of struggling to break teams down. Also, these are the games we have won 1-0 at home during those spells:

Stoke and Burnley lost 1-0 at Roots Hall. Also, Manchester United lost 1-0 in the League Cup.

07/08 - Play Off Semi-Finals:

Millwall, Leeds and Walsall all lost 1-0 at Roots Hall.

08/09 - This Season:

Peterborough, Hereford, Leeds, Northampton and Bristol Rovers have all lost 1-0 at Roots Hall.

Just looking into the stats, I find it staggering to be honest. Now the players we have used in this games include the likes of JCR, Gower, Maher, Bailey, Macca, Walker, Laurent, Barnard, Freedman, Eastwood, Goater, Gray etc etc.

Can anyone come up with a reason why its such a struggle breaking teams down at Roots Hall. Do we play a factor in this? Do we not get behind them enough? Is it down to poor decisions from officials? Is it wrong team selection, wrong subs etc.

I'd like to see what other people think about this. How can we alter this and break teams down easier as we still have more home games to come that we could lose 1-0 and more away games where we might not win 1-0.

I'm absolutely delighted to see that stat change.

Under Tilly we struggle to break teams down when they come to Roots Hall and play for a point.

I also remember a few 1-0 defeats at home as we struggled to cross the finishing line in our Title Winning season (2005/06) and in the year we won the play offs after slipping out of the top 3 on the final day v Grimsby (2004/2005)!

The year we won the league, I am sure we lost 1-0 at home to both Gillingham and Doncaster late on in the campaign as we stuttered over the finishing line.

The season of the Play off win, we lost to Yeovil in a match that was a potential title decider 1-0 and also lost on a Friday night 1-0 to Orient which started a blip in form.

I don't think that we lose more than our fair share of games at home by 0-1, the problem has been (up until now) that we didn't have a defence capable of shutting the other team out for the 90 minutes, so winning away involved scoring at least two.

Happily, on the evidence of the last four matches, Tilly may have at last realised what we have been telling him about our defence.

Here's another stat, we haven't won once this season in games when the opposition's scored first. Out of the thirteen times it's happened, we've drawn twice (Tranmere and Orient away) and lost eleven.

Compare that to the second half of the season we won League One, I remember us winning a fair few after going behind.

Do we not get behind them enough? Is it down to poor decisions from officials? .

Well I would like to discount these two straight away. Whatever people may think decisions even out over the season.

And I am not sure the tendancy to only get behind the team really has much of an effect either. We certainly always get behind the team away and our record is even more shocking there.

1-0

Well I would like to discount these two straight away. Whatever people may think decisions even out over the season.

And I am not sure the tendancy to only get behind the team really has much of an effect either. We certainly always get behind the team away and our record is even more shocking there.
Bring bak the north bank

Back