• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

simac21

Coach
any reports? just read on a stevenage forum we're 1-0 down peter winn scoring there goal

"Southend finished the second half strongly, with two decent efforts within minutes of each other. John Grant having the better of the two with a bullet header from a free kick that went inches over the bar."

Same ****, different season. God help us when the injuries and suspensions kick in.

"Southend finished the second half strongly, with two decent efforts within minutes of each other. John Grant having the better of the two with a bullet header from a free kick that went inches over the bar."

We were obviously playing free flowing attacking football:)

"It was apparent though that the biggest threat in the first half was going to be Stevenage as Southend struggled to make an impact, with Ashley Bayes left to do some stretching in his goal to keep himself occupied and alert".

Watford's win over League leaders Oxford at Didcot this evening, leaves us rock bottom of the reserve league with 25% of the programme completed.

Reserve results, of course, don't matter but it can't be great for morale.

Okay those 4 were no good .... wheel in the next batch of no hopers.

any reports? just read on a stevenage forum we're 1-0 down peter winn scoring there goal

A pretty disjointed display, really. The game never really sprang to life, and Stevenage had much the better of the opportunities, although things did improve in the final half-an-hour.

It's hard to read too much into the trialists' performances, because I think it's tough when you have four players all trying to impress in unfamiliar surroundings at the same time. We've seen how difficult it's been to get the first-team squad to gel given the wholesale changes to personnel in the summer, and it was no different for the quartet today.

From the evidence on show this evening, Bouslimani was the most impressive. He played mainly on the right-hand side of midfield, and proved to be a willing runner who retained possession pretty well and tried to show for the ball at every opportunity. He went off after 67 minutes with what appeared to be cramp. Jarvis committed a lot of fouls, mostly for contesting high balls unfairly, but also for handball and didn't have any efforts of note on goal; Grant seemed on the most part to be a bit lightweight, easily muscled off the ball (this may have been down to a lack of match fitness), although he did have a strong header just over late on, whilst Tabillon didn't do a lot until the closing stages, when he showed that he had a decent set-piece delivery.

The goal was a clanger from Evans - it was a difficult back-pass to deal with from Prosser, but he seemed to have controlled it fine before taking too long to clear the ball, thus allowing Peter Winn to get in - other than that he was extremely competent, whether it was shots or crosses that were coming in his direction, and importantly, the mistake didn't seem to overly affect him. Bouzid was neat enough in midfield but didn't really impose himself on the game, and Coughlan and Prosser were, on the most part, solid at the heart of the defence, although Winn in particular did manage to fashion a couple of opportunities.

A pretty disjointed display, really. The game never really sprang to life, and Stevenage had much the better of the opportunities, although things did improve in the final half-an-hour.

It's hard to read too much into the trialists' performances, because I think it's tough when you have four players all trying to impress in unfamiliar surroundings at the same time. We've seen how difficult it's been to get the first-team squad to gel given the wholesale changes to personnel in the summer, and it was no different for the quartet today.

From the evidence on show this evening, Bouslimani was the most impressive. He played mainly on the right-hand side of midfield, and proved to be a willing runner who retained possession pretty well and tried to show for the ball at every opportunity. He went off after 67 minutes with what appeared to be cramp. Jarvis committed a lot of fouls, mostly for contesting high balls unfairly, but also for handball and didn't have any efforts of note on goal; Grant seemed on the most part to be a bit lightweight, easily muscled off the ball (this may have been down to a lack of match fitness), although he did have a strong header just over late on, whilst Tabillon didn't do a lot until the closing stages, when he showed that he had a decent set-piece delivery.

The goal was a clanger from Evans - it was a difficult back-pass to deal with from Prosser, but he seemed to have controlled it fine before taking too long to clear the ball, thus allowing Peter Winn to get in - other than that he was extremely competent, whether it was shots or crosses that were coming in his direction, and importantly, the mistake didn't seem to overly affect him. Bouzid was neat enough in midfield but didn't really impose himself on the game, and Coughlan and Prosser were, on the most part, solid at the heart of the defence, although Winn in particular did manage to fashion a couple of opportunities.

Thanks for the report, disappointed I didn't make the match myself.

Were any of the four triallists 'first team players', and can you see any of them making a difference to our squad?

Exiled Shrimper said:

Thanks for the info Rob. Out of interest, would you pick Evans on Saturday, or will the mistake have cost him any chance he might have had....

Thanks for the info Rob. Out of interest, would you pick Evans on Saturday, or will the mistake have cost him any chance he might have had....

Not sure where the sudden support for Evans has come from? At the start of the season, I was surprised Evans wasnt given the nod, but since then, I dont think Morris has done much wrong for a keeper at this level. And when I've seen Evans, he hasnt particularly stood out as being much better/different.

Think we have bigger problems elsewhere rather than between the sticks?

pboreham said:
Not sure where the sudden support for Evans has come from? At the start of the season, I was surprised Evans wasnt given the nod, but since then, I dont think Morris has done much wrong for a keeper at this level. And when I've seen Evans, he hasnt particularly stood out as being much better/different.

Think we have bigger problems elsewhere rather than between the sticks?
I'm just interested that's all. I think Morris was badly at fault (along with Gilbert) for the 2nd goal on Saturday, and I don't want to see us conceding goals like that.

Back