• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Restaurant recommendation

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Our wedding anniversary is coming up soon, so has anyone got a recommendation for a restaurant in Southend that they've tried since lock down has finished. Emphasis on good food what measures the restaurant has taken to follow government guidelines would be welcome. Thanks all.

I'm told the Roslin has things under control whilst offering its usual excellent fare. Only Southend restaurant I've been to recently is the Italian on Southchurch Road that used to be the Lemon Grove (can't think what it is now). That was all ok, sanitiser, spacing between tables, staff wearing face shields.

Last edited:
Reactions: RHB
Friends have recently been to Tomassi's, High Street, and gave it thumbs up on covid safety.
The menu was, they thought, slightly reduced but usual high standard..

Tried Ozen in Westcliff which is a Japanese restaurant.

I thought it was really decent food and about 2/3 the price of somewhere like Wagamama.

There were a few Japanese customers as well which is surely a good sign.

I'm a big fan of the mexican restaurant Pieno-Lleno. It's not in a particularly nice area but it's a really nice looking place, great food and honestly, the best service I've ever received anywhere. Been back several times since our 1st visit which was a bit by accident.

They also accept taste cards every day of the week rather than just mon-thurs.

I'm a big fan of the mexican restaurant Pieno-Lleno. It's not in a particularly nice area but it's a really nice looking place, great food and honestly, the best service I've ever received anywhere. Been back several times since our 1st visit which was a bit by accident.

Where is it Matty?

I'm told the Roslin has things under control whilst offering its usual excellent fare. Only Southend restaurant I've been to recently is the Italian on Southchurch Road that used to be the Lemon Grove (can't think what it is now). That was all ok, sanitiser, spacing between tables, staff wearing face shields.
If you choose the Roslin, look out for their cheeky small print 10% gratuity added to everything, even a drink from the bar. Yes it’s optional, but you have to choose to have it taken off and their eyes well up when you ask for that to be done.

You could try Latinos Hadleigh. Great food, were meticulous about Covid regulation, don’t seem concerned now. Depends how you feel about that.

If you choose the Roslin, look out for their cheeky small print 10% gratuity added to everything, even a drink from the bar. Yes it’s optional, but you have to choose to have it taken off and their eyes well up when you ask for that to be done.

You could try Latinos Hadleigh. Great food, were meticulous about Covid regulation, don’t seem concerned now. Depends how you feel about that.
I actually think The Roslin is incredibly overpriced, has a poor menu, very average to poor service, and just generally not that good. Over the years I've had breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner there and I've never walked away thinking it was that good. I think it all looks very nice but that's about it.

That being said, I've always had a bit of a issue with them after staying there on my wedding night. The doors are locked at around 11pm but I wasn't going to be getting there until gone midnight and they arranged to make sure someone would be there to let us in. I turned up to the night clerk having a huge party in the reception area with blaring out music and not hearing us trying to get his attention and couldn't hear me ringing on the phone either. So there we were, mr mrs just sanding outside in her wedding dress. Got a free afternoon tea out of it because they weren't willing to do anymore.

Went into the roslin for the wife's birthday . I ordered the skate and when it came up smelt of ammonia, so ordered another. When that one came up it also smelt if ammonia. They tried to tell me it was fine and nothing wrong with it. It was so bad that tgd table next to us could smell it!

I actually think The Roslin is incredibly overpriced, has a poor menu, very average to poor service, and just generally not that good. Over the years I've had breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner there and I've never walked away thinking it was that good. I think it all looks very nice but that's about it.

Here in Essex it seems there are people queueing up to be seen at expensive restaurants and bars irrespective of the quality of the food and service.

Back in the day that road was one of the most attractive. Views of the front and the Kursaal at the bottom , plus St Erkenwalds. Sadly, the slags down York Road and the various people who moved into the area made it less salubrious.

Back