• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Restaurant Reviews

Shrimper

Life President
Figured it'd be good to have a thread for people to ask about restaurants and ask what they're like on here. Haven't seen one so hit me if there is one.

i myself am going to Mr Pings in the Broadway for the all you can eat thing on Sunday. Anyone been there or had that before and tell me what it's like?

We were in Essex over the bank holiday weekend and enjoyed a meal with some mates at Shima on Leigh Broadway. On a Sunday they have a buffet (all day) where you order food and it's freshly cooked. The menu is good, with plenty on it, and at £10 pp it's good value if you're hungry (mains are normally £7-8). Tap water isn't free, and it was roasting hot, but a very decent curry house.

We've done recommendations on restaurants before, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to re-do them as they can change so much.

My favourite Chinese is the Pearl Dragon in Southend, favourite Indian the Akash in Benfleet. Tomassi's in Southend serve good, standard food and have great ice-cream desserts, the Anchor at Hullbridge is lovely, and I've never had a bad meal at the Hawk in Battlesbridge. There's a few to start with :smile:

We were in Essex over the bank holiday weekend and enjoyed a meal with some mates at Shima on Leigh Broadway. On a Sunday they have a buffet (all day) where you order food and it's freshly cooked. The menu is good, with plenty on it, and at £10 pp it's good value if you're hungry (mains are normally £7-8). Tap water isn't free, and it was roasting hot, but a very decent curry house.
Seconded. It's become our ex-SZFC clique curry house of choice. May well be there on Saturday evening. Would take a lot of visits to work your way through the menu!

The Anchor - Hullbridge
Plough & Sail -Paglesham
Cafe Masala - Thorpe Bay

Also the Roslyn and the new place on the Sea Front, The Beach hut are good

The Oriena is an excellent Chinese takeaway

The Great Wall - Thorpe Bay
The Roslyn - Thorpe Bay
Mumtaz Mahal - Benfleet
Zafran (takeaway) - Chalkwell
The Hawk - Battlesbridge

All good!

I think The Hawk is a bit naff.

Last time I went my roast potatoes were almost on fire they were so overdone.

The Shima in Leigh is good but the decor is awful.
I need to re-visit the Shima. Not been for years, didn't like it last time I went. Always thought it a bit odd that Leigh doesn't have a *really* decent Indian - New Indian Valley has always been the best of the bunch for me, although the decor is truly soulless.

I've always been tempted by Shima but was put off by the massive telly on the wall which I would find intrusive in a restaurant - bad enough in a pub unless there's football on.

As a general bit of advice - this will be relevant to any premises that sells alcohol – there is a legal requirement that tap water is provided free to any customer. A license holder who refuses is committing an offence under the Licensing Act 2003. Probably best not to argue the point until after your food has been served though! ;-)

In other news, I exclusively go to Bombay Spice in Leigh for my curry needs – their dishes are spicy when they’re supposed to be. I’ve been disappointed with a couple of recent curries from other places where both a jalfrezi and a madras had no kick to them at all – very poor.

You can’t beat the Mermaid under the arches for a massive cooked breakfast (although their tea portions are too small). For a slightly poorer breakfast but with generous amounts of tea, try the Barge (I think) which is a few doors down.

Don't dine out in Southend too often, but I like Hundreds along the seafront (up by Southchurch Park)

I'll carry out a review right now on Frankie & Bennies. ****!

No matter which one you go to, they all taste awful!

Stop the World in Leigh is very good for breakfasts - you might even bump into Ron! :smile:

For a classy breakfast try Cafe Max on the Benfleet High Road, great cakes too. Huge cups of tea/coffee.
Pipe of Port in Southend, always up to standard, good local meats and fish.
El Pescatore in Queens Road, best Italian in town and the family owners are regulars at The Hall.

For a classy breakfast try Cafe Max on the Benfleet High Road, great cakes too. Huge cups of tea/coffee.
El Pescatore in Queens Road, best Italian in town and the family owners are regulars at The Hall.

Three more of my favourites there, the latter two being very long standing and consistently good. I've had a couple of rough lunches at Cafe Max but their breakfasts are good.

Cafe Max is OK but they need to raise the quality of their sausages.

Few recommendation in Leigh
* Taj Mahal in Leigh - Pretty good curry house, smallish menu - but got what you want.
* Rak Chang - Excellent Thai (better than Manolys imo
* La Sirena - Has got a lot better than when it first opened, always busy

Back