• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Restaurant Scores on the doors

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Do you refuse to eat anywhere if they have a low rating?

I have stopped going to a few places after checking their ratings online. Luckily the Mumtaz Mahal in Benfleet has five stats so I won't starve.

Nah, like the Ofsted reports and your MOT it's the rating on that day.

There's a curry/kebab place round the corner that MK council gave 0/5 but I still eat there as the food in fantastic.

I have stopped going to a few places after checking their ratings online. Luckily the Mumtaz Mahal in Benfleet has five stats so I won't starve.

We used to go to a chinese near our house but stopped when we saw the food hygiene rating was 1/5.

Not stopped going somewhere because of tripadvisor ratings.

You have great taste Cyril! Unfortunately i'm not living in Benfleet any more. When i did this was my favourite too! Still try to get down there when i can though.

Trip advisor would not stop me going somewhere i liked

Poor hygene ratings would. I don't agree with MK about it just being the rating on the day, especiall if the score is a zero or a one... that would indicate a general poor attitude to hygene and/or poor training of staff, as things would have to be quite bad to get those scores.

Outlets can request a re-visit after three months if they get a poor score, so establishments that have a poor rating for 4 months + really should be avoided, as they obviously aren't getting their act together.

You have great taste Cyril! Unfortunately i'm not living in Benfleet any more. When i did this was my favourite too! Still try to get down there when i can though.

I'm also a big fan of the Mumtaz from growing up in the B-town, although seems to have been a bit destroyed on Trip Advisor, which is odd, as i've never recieved anything but good food or service (although not been there for a year or two to be fair)

Yes, I stopped using the Hasina in Eastwood due to their poor scores. They're back up to 3 currently but I stopped using them when they got a worse score than that.

Luckily, Chris's chippy in Rayleigh opened near me and that's all I need now. :winking: Their food is great and they get 5 for hygiene too.

We're currently in Mojacar in Spain where my fiancés family have a house. The number 1 restaurant here according to Trip Advisor is 'Beachcombers Cafe' a distinctly English feeling place that's ace for a full English...

I do wonder who does TripAdvisor reviews?
I guess people that either love or hate a place.

I was in NY a while back not long after they first started doing the ratings there and it definitely influenced my decisions.

No but its nice to hear the Mumtaz is decent as I am going there Friday night. (Iam more of a Benfleet Tandoori man)

We're currently in Mojacar in Spain where my fiancés family have a house. The number 1 restaurant here according to Trip Advisor is 'Beachcombers Cafe' a distinctly English feeling place that's ace for a full English...

I do wonder who does TripAdvisor reviews?
I guess people that either love or hate a place.

I was in NY a while back not long after they first started doing the ratings there and it definitely influenced my decisions.

I started doing tripadvisor review just to add some balance because the majority are just people who love it or hate it. some people seem to think that because the received a plate of food they should automatically give 5*s.

I do use trip advisor quite a bit for when I'm in places I don't really know, because in the end the scores do tend to correlate with how good a place is. I thought because I use it I should probably contribute a bit.

Last edited:
I do Trip Advisor reviews, because i read/use others Trip Advisor reviews, and basing your decisions on reviews would not work if you didn't give something back... if you catch my jist

You have to wonder how a restaurant can get 1 star and still be allowed to trade.

Apparently McDonalds practices are the best in the industry because of the scrutiny they receive and the fact that disaster at one restaurant will affect the other 35,000.

You have to wonder how a restaurant can get 1 star and still be allowed to trade.

Apparently McDonalds practices are the best in the industry because of the scrutiny they receive and the fact that disaster at one restaurant will affect the other 35,000.

Yeah right.

Maybe you should talk to people who've worked there. They might tell you a different story!

They really do. Their systems and processes (which is what star ratings are ultimately based on) are far better than any other chain, or indeed independent.

For a chain to get less than 4 is shocking given that head office are franchising (effectively selling) the system rather than the burgers. Independents are a completely different story.

But of course, you know someone who once spat in a burger.... Whatever way you look at that:

1) He could just as easily have done that at an independent,
2) Statistically you're more likely to know McD's workers than those of a particular independent, and
3) No star rating can account for ******s like that

Maybe you should talk to people who've worked there. They might tell you a different story!

I have spoken to grimace and the hamburglar and they had nothing but praise.

Perhaps you should pay less attention to ultra biased **** such as Supersize Me and Fast Food Nation?

Back