• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hawkwell Blue

Manager
I am trying to update some of my records along with the respective programmes and was wondering if anyone would happen to know the results of any of the following:-

26-May-67 Southend United v Chelmsford City EPC Cup Final
19-Jan-70 Southend United v Chelmsford City EPC 1
24-Aug-81 Southend United v Wimbledon Friendly
31-Mar-03 Southend United v England X1 Friendly
21-Mar-66 Southend United v Clacton Town Essex Prof Cup
28-Jul-11 Southend United v Norwich City Friendly

Thanks.

SUFCDB has the Wimbledon game - 1-2 (Spense).......but doesn't look like a friendly? GrCp/3?

July 28 2011 a Friendly versus Norwich City ended 0-0.

March 31 2003 Steve Tilson testimonial v England XI. Southend won 8-2.
Southend scorers:- Tes Bramble3, Steven Clark, Brett Darby2 and Mark Rawle2.
England XI scorers:- Steve Tilson and Clive Allen

The crowd was 4,555 and Michael Kightly came on as a sub for Bramble. Kevin Maher also played for Southend, and alongside Tilson, Chris Powell also represented the England XI.

As already mentioned, the Wimbledon game was in the Football League Group Cup. Derek Spence scored for us and Paul Lazarus got both goals for Wimbledon in front of a crowd of 1,780.

The last one I can help you with (I only started going in August 1967 so the other 2 games pre-date me) :-

Monday January 19th 1970 Essex Professional Cup 1st round replay finished Southend Utd 2 Chelmsford City 3. Goal scorers were Bill Garner and Gary Moore for Southend and Andrews, Price and Amato for Chelmsford. It went to extra time, was 2-1 to Chelmsford at h-t, and the crowd was 2,297.

From my diary for 21 March 1966: "I was saved from vomiting at Woodley's performance in our 6-1 victory over Clacton in the semi-final of the Essex Professional Cup by the continual remarks from the people Phil and I were with. That he scored from 18 yards with a blinding left-foot volley is ironic and disastrous, since he will surely now not be dropped? Firmani (3), King & Barnard."
(Editor's note: And to think that I now get very cross when our fans spend their time cursing our own players and wishing them gone!)
Can't help with the 1967 game, I'm afraid. My diary just has a review of the Sgt Pepper album, released that day.

From my diary for 21 March 1966: "I was saved from vomiting at Woodley's performance in our 6-1 victory over Clacton in the semi-final of the Essex Professional Cup by the continual remarks from the people Phil and I were with. That he scored from 18 yards with a blinding left-foot volley is ironic and disastrous, since he will surely now not be dropped? Firmani (3), King & Barnard."
(Editor's note: And to think that I now get very cross when our fans spend their time cursing our own players and wishing them gone!)
Can't help with the 1967 game, I'm afraid. My diary just has a review of the Sgt Pepper album, released that day.

He had actually been dropped for the previous game a couple of days earlier. Anyway that stunning volley (which I saw but have no recollection of) ensured that he played every game until the season end, playing his part to the full in our first ever relegation !

I’ve checked out all the answers given-just one minor error-Chris Barnard didn’t score v Clacton,Bobby King got 2.
And the Essex Professional Cup Final,all games in that competition were full first team fixtures,was won 4-2(1-1 at ht).Our scorers were Woodley,Slack,Smillie 2.Brennan and Smith replied for Chelmsford who had Costello at right-back.

I am trying to update some of my records along with the respective programmes and was wondering if anyone would happen to know the results of any of the following:-

26-May-67 Southend United v Chelmsford City EPC Cup Final
19-Jan-70 Southend United v Chelmsford City EPC 1
24-Aug-81 Southend United v Wimbledon Friendly
31-Mar-03 Southend United v England X1 Friendly
21-Mar-66 Southend United v Clacton Town Essex Prof Cup
28-Jul-11 Southend United v Norwich City Friendly

Thanks.
The Essex Professional Cup Final of 1966-67 was played over 2 legs. The 1st leg was played at Chelmsford City on Monday 22nd.May with Chelmsford winning by 1-0.(Att.2,891).
In the 2nd leg at Roots Hall on Friday 26th.May Southend United won by 4-2 with the Southend goals being scored by Andy Smillie(2);Derek Woodley & Mel Slack.(Att.3,025). Southend United win 4-3 on aggregate.
The above information was obtained from the Southend United Football Supporters' Club Official Handbook 1967-68.

The last one I can help you with (I only started going in August 1967 so the other 2 games pre-date me) :-

Monday January 19th 1970 Essex Professional Cup 1st round replay finished Southend Utd 2 Chelmsford City 3. Goal scorers were Bill Garner and Gary Moore for Southend and Andrews, Price and Amato for Chelmsford. It went to extra time, was 2-1 to Chelmsford at h-t, and the crowd was 2,297.
Apologies to Stuart, but according to the match programmes played after the above match our goalscorers were Bill Garner & Billy Best? (I am not sure which one is correct? I did go to the game myself but it's over 48 years ago and let's face it our match programmes are often prone to the odd mistake??).

Apologies to Stuart, but according to the match programmes played after the above match our goalscorers were Bill Garner & Billy Best? (I am not sure which one is correct? I did go to the game myself but it's over 48 years ago and let's face it our match programmes are often prone to the odd mistake??).
Yes,D.,I’ve checked again(personal records)and you’re right-Best and Garner scored-that match was Peter Taylor’s first team debut.

March 31 2003 Steve Tilson testimonial v England XI. Southend won 8-2.
Southend scorers:- Tes Bramble3, Steven Clark, Brett Darby2 and Mark Rawle2.
England XI scorers:- Steve Tilson and Clive Allen

The crowd was 4,555 and Michael Kightly came on as a sub for Bramble. Kevin Maher also played for Southend, and alongside Tilson, Chris Powell also represented the England XI.

Its crazy but i dont remember this game at all ! A 10 goal thriller in Tilly's testimonial against England ?!!! Its sounds awesome Can anyone give me the full line ups please

Its crazy but i dont remember this game at all ! A 10 goal thriller in Tilly's testimonial against England ?!!! Its sounds awesome Can anyone give me the full line ups please

Southend
Flahavan
Searle
McSweeney
Maher
Bramble
Belgrave
S. Clark
Beard
Sutch
Darby
Strachen