• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2022-23 Southend United Retained / Released List

Under Contract
  • Steve Arnold (extension triggered)
  • Nathan Ralph (extension triggered)
  • Shaun Hobson (extension triggered)
  • Jack Bridge
  • Rhys Murphy
  • Sam Dalby
  • Callum Powell
  • Jason Demetriou (extension triggered)
  • Jack Wood
  • Ollie Kensdale
  • Noor Husin
  • Harry Cardwell
Offered Contracts
  • Tom Clifford
  • Collin Andeng-Ndi
  • Jon Benton
  • Oli Coker
  • Tommy Davis
End of Loan
  • Joe Gubbins
  • Harrison Neal
  • Kenny Clark
  • Matthew Dennis
Released
  • Rob Howard
  • Abu Ogogo
  • Josh Coulson
  • James Dunne
  • Harry Phillips
  • Lewis Gard
  • Simeon Akinola
  • Will Atkinson
  • Leon Davies
  • John White
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George
  • Matt Rush
  • Reiss Chandler
  • Terrell Egbri
  • Eren Kinali
  • Miles Mitchell-Nelson

Happy with that list. Only one I’m not sure about is Davies. I think he could have been good with a decent pre season behind him. I suppose they already have someone else in mind or lined up for that position though.
I suspect they have a better option lined-up for that position. I didn't dislike Davies but I think we can do better.

Surprised we've given JD another year.

I'm excited to see what we can do with all those wasted wages on the likes of Ogogo, Coulson and Akinola, (Not his fault Brown messed him around).

I wonder if we'll see Akinola back in preseason as a "Trialist" to get fit, given his link with Currie.

No problem with that at all - I wondered whether they might keep Davies, Akinola, Atkinson but it seems they've got a policy of "if in doubt, release!"

We've got a few youngsters offered contracts for back-up/b-team duties (Collin, Benton, Coker, Davis) but plenty of room for incomings now.

Including the loanees that are returning, we've just culled 20 players from the squad!

Feels like the reset button has been firmly pressed!

That's exactly the list as I envisioned it actually.

Best of luck to those gone but I think it's best for both parties.

This is more like it..... we seem like a club isn't messing around now! The only 1 I would of kept on out of the players who been released was leon davis, the rest I'm not to sad to see leave.

Surprised we've given JD another year.

He triggered another year through games played this term.

I’m happy with that tbh, as we’ll need senior figures in the squad, and he’s great with/for the younger lads. I would expect this season to be a transitional one for him, where he moves closer to the coaching side of things.

But take nothing away from him, he’s a versatile, honest pro who will always give his all for the club.

On a personal level, he’s also a genuinely nice guy who I’ve got a lot of time for.

Wow. Really is going to be a clean slate. This is so different to this time last year when so many were kept on after relegation. As has been duly pointed out by many, we should thank them all for their efforts whilst at the club.

There are one or two I could make arguments for going a different way but I see the logic behind each move and I’m relieved we didn’t hang onto players out of sentimentality.

I’m much encouraged by the clarity of vision.

Good work.

All the best to the departing players. I imagine for nearly all of them new careers await them. I hope that new chapter in their life is rewarding. For the youngsters don’t give up on your dreams. Keep on working in the side and earn another shot and like Jack Bridge we may yet see you again. The amount of returning players we’ve had should tell you the door is never fully closed.

Brutal. Sad for those let go but it shows real ambition on the part of the management.

Back