• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2022-23 Southend United Retained / Released List

Always a sad day when the release list is issued. There were some surprises for me, I thought one of Dunne or Atkinson would have been retained, purely for their experience in the middle of the pitch, and I thought Dunne had pushed on more as the season went on as Will had slowed up a bit. As his sponsors, we will be sad to see him go as he was a really decent bloke.

Also surprised about Davies, I thought he was a tidy little player and that he had something about him. I guess they do already have someone in mind though.

The ones that disappoint me most are Kinali and Gard, I don't think either have really been given a chance. Also disappointed with Demi's retention a bit, but that wasn't a surprise. Still pretty annoyed about his sending off at the weekend.

What this has done though, is cleared out almost all of those who had contracts given by Phil Brown, which I understand, were more than they should have been at this level but I guess this was with the intention of hopefully bouncing back to L2.

Finally, it was no surprise, but best of luck to Captain Fantastic, Jonny White. 9 full seasons, plus service going back to 2009. Thank you John, for all your efforts, the arm breaks you endured and for scoring some pretty special goals at times.

Last edited:
Always a sad day when the release list is issued. There were some surprises for me, I thought one of Dunne or Atkinson would have been retained, purely for their experience in the middle of the pitch, and I thought Dunne had pushed on more as the season went on as Will had slowed up a bit. As his sponsors, we will be sad to see him go as he was a really decent bloke.

Also surprised about Davies, I thought he was a tidy little player and that he had something about him. I guess they do already have someone in mind though.

The ones that disappoint me are Kinali and Gard, I don't think either have really been given a chance. Also disappointed with Demi's retention a bit, but that wasn't a surprise. Still pretty annoyed about his sending off at the weekend.

What this has done though, is cleared out almost all of those who had contracts given by Phil Brown, which I understand, were more than they should have been at this level but I guess this was with the intention of hopefully bouncing back to L2.

Finally, it was no surprise, but best of luck to Captain Fantastic, Jonny White. 9 full seasons, plus service going back to 2009. Thank you John, for all your efforts, the arm breaks you endured and for scoring some pretty special goals at times.
I certainly agree about Kinali and, to a lesser extent, Gard. But hopefully they will get their chance to prove their worth at other clubs.

Oh dear Shrimpet , when will you ever learn. JD will play if required but his main role will be with the B team, even the B team will require some experienced head amongst them , Demi has 54 caps for his country of birth als cwas captain of his country ,He is looked upto by everyone in the dressing room,To me a very wise decision to keep him and when he retires bring him into a management role with the B team .
He was born in Newham, which I believe is more London, UK than Nicosia, Cyrpus.

Otherwise, I tend to agree with your points.

While like most on the zone I generally agree with the retained/ released list !
But seeing promoted Stockports confidence in retaining most of their squad for next seasons efl2 campaign!
We need to be building a squad that not only gives us a much stronger challenge for promotion than even the clubs who have had good seasons but have fallen short Chesterfield, Grimsby, Notts Co D&R etc , not easy !
So our retained list without our loan players looks very lightweight and lacking goals at the right end etc , need a Midfield engine x2 plus a solid backline/wing backs are essential as Steve Arnold alluded too!
Looking forward to at least 8 signings lol

love it... made some space for some decent bods to come in and get this club promoted..wont miss any of them.. none of them shone enough this year...and with the diggers going in this year to start pulling out the footings... lets get this party moving!

So do I. JD is still good enough (just) for this level. White is not.
Think it is more a case of JD can play the type of football we want to. White can’t. But like Coulson he might be able to play for a team like Kings Lynn.

See the goal we conceded Sunday. It wasn’t necessarily the best ball by Kensdale but it’s the type of ball you’ll receive at this level and you have to be able to cope with receiving a less than perfect ball under pressure and know how to manoeuvre space. It’s what Maher made a whole career of: he’d receive the ball in tight space, his first touch would buy him a fraction more time by shifting the ball away or by semi-turning his man and then he’d look to spray it out to Gower. This summer it’s almost the litmus test for Maher as manager keeping or moving on: Dunne was on heels, took a bad touch that killed the ball and put him in trouble and seemingly wasn’t aware of the man on him. If that had been played to Demi he would have dealt it better, being ready for the pass and taking a touch away from the man as we’ve seen him do countless times before, before finding a Gubbins with a simple square pass.

John White would have probably taken a touch away from the man and hoofed it into the stands, which is better but not how we want to play, so he wasn’t retained. Atkinson would have taken a heavy touch, turned into trouble and played a teammate into even more trouble by firing a ball at their shins, so gone. Davies, there seemed more to come but never looked comfortable receiving the ball in tight spaces and working it like Demi, so gone. Miles Mitchell-Nelson would hoof it to the corner flag, so gone. Egbri would twist and turn without it achieving anything and end up laying it off to Gubbins in a way that he has nothing open to him but to boot it up the line.

Husin would have taken a touch and angled the ball and his body away from the man allowing him to play a pass. Cardwell would have put his body between the ball and the man. Kensdale would have dipped the shoulder and glided away. Wood would have been on his toes and worked the ball away. Benton would have taken the ball on the semi-turn.

Maybe the only one released (who was fit enough to play 90 minutes) who’d be comfortable receiving the ball in that position was Harry Phillips.

So in any incoming player look for someone comfortable receiving the ball with an opponent breathing down their neck, who it is just second nature to smoothly just take a touch angle the ball away to buy time. I know we were linked with Mo Sagaf earlier in the year, Wes Fonguck would be another.

Last edited:
While like most on the zone I generally agree with the retained/ released list !
But seeing promoted Stockports confidence in retaining most of their squad for next seasons efl2 campaign!
We need to be building a squad that not only gives us a much stronger challenge for promotion than even the clubs who have had good seasons but have fallen short Chesterfield, Grimsby, Notts Co D&R etc , not easy !
So our retained list without our loan players looks very lightweight and lacking goals at the right end etc , need a Midfield engine x2 plus a solid backline/wing backs are essential as Steve Arnold alluded too!
Looking forward to at least 8 signings lol
What do you mean Stockport's confidence in retaining most of their squad? They could've finished 10th and retained them it says they are under contract..

I'm sure Daggers and Barnet are two teams we are keen to pluck the best players from with Still and Currie knowing them very well. Fonguck is the type of player we need.

Seems to be a name all the Barnet fans want to be released this Summer.. Let's hope not another Dunne, they warned us last year.
Dunne is 32 and Fonguck is 24 both at different stages of their career. Something not quite right in that Barnet team, probably a similar situation to us pre Maher. Look at Dieng, the majority of fans wanted him gone and said he was rubbish. How wrong fans can be.

Dunne is 32 and Fonguck is 24 both at different stages of their career. Something not quite right in that Barnet team, probably a similar situation to us pre Maher. Look at Dieng, the majority of fans wanted him gone and said he was rubbish. How wrong fans can be.
TBF there were a few who wanted to keep Dieng. Not one fan on their site has said to keep.

I certainly agree about Kinali and, to a lesser extent, Gard. But hopefully they will get their chance to prove their worth at other clubs.
Getting rid of Gard is a big mistake.
Against Colchester a couple of years ago he was head and shoulders above anything on the pitch….then he got injured.
Suppose he wasn’t crab like enough and wanted to create ….Maher hates that, rather have 3 across the middle going nowhere!

TBF there were a few who wanted to keep Dieng. Not one fan on their site has said to keep.

Both of them? (That’s not a dig at the club but rather their message board)

I suspect he needs a new challenge.

This was Fonguck at Roots Hall and goes to what I was saying about being more comfortable on the ball.

Whether he is consistent enough etc is as different matter but he has the ability on the ball as a starting point. Currie and Still will know if the work ethic, attitude etc is there.

A very good clear out. I'd have kept Davies and Atkinson but the rest fair enough. Feel sorry for some of them, not least Akinola who has had nothing but bad luck. I wish them all well in finding new clubs. Thanks guys and so long.

Back