• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2022-23 Southend United Retained / Released List

Wes Fonguck at 24, sounds good, but I would want a comprehensive medical, as in December 2020 he suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury causing him to miss the remainder of that season and only made 10 appearances in the league, with 1 FA Cup appearance this season.

That is probably why Barnet fans want rid.

With some on here already questioning Ralph's durability and appearance record since he has been here, I would be wary of taking on another player within the defensive unit, that could be missing for large chunks of the season, without that rigorous medical.

Both of them? (That’s not a dig at the club but rather their message board)

I suspect he needs a new challenge.

This was Fonguck at Roots Hall and goes to what I was saying about being more comfortable on the ball.

Whether he is consistent enough etc is as different matter but he has the ability on the ball as a starting point. Currie and Still will know if the work ethic, attitude etc is there.
Nice montage there.

There's several at Barnet I wouldn't mind to be honest.

Fonguck (as seen above), Mason-Clarke (looked useful against us - young and tricky with pace, can play wide or central), Taylor (young versatile defender. Comfortable anywhere at the back), Marriott (decent goal record this season, perhaps a little too old though?) all have something about them.

Last edited:
Nice montage there.

There's several at Barnet I wouldn't mind to be honest.

Fonguck, Mason-Clarke, Taylor, Marriott all have something about them.
Agree on Mason-Clark. I can’t particularly remember the other two.

But it all begs the question why were they so poor (they were one of the worst sides we faced) if they had a handful of talented players?

Agree on Mason-Clark. I can’t particularly remember the other two.

But it all begs the question why were they so poor (they were one of the worst sides we faced) if they had a handful of talented players?
Indeed, from what I've read the fans aren't particularly happy with the way things are there on or off the pitch. Few bust ups (Wasn't there a racial row around the time we played them, with strike threats etc?) Doesn't seem a particularly happy camp and struggling with finances (sounds familiar). Rumours that the budget isn't great for this summer. So could be a good time to pounce on any that maybe of interest.

Indeed, from what I've read the fans aren't particularly happy with the way things are there on or off the pitch. Few bust ups (Wasn't there a racial row around the time we played them, with strike threats etc?) Doesn't seem a particularly happy camp and struggling with finances (sounds familiar). Rumours that the budget isn't great for this summer. So could be a good time to pounce on any that maybe of interest.
Ah, yes I’d merged that in with the Crawley stuff and Yems and forgotten that was Barnet. I suppose that goes a long way to explain their performance.

Seems like some tough, but sensible decisions have been made here and I am genuinely excited to see what the next few weeks bring.

On a (random & slightly off topic) side note I thought the graphic design for the retained list announcement and John Whites “Thank You” post were excellent. Hopefully that is a style we are going with for next season.
I'm glad you like them ;)

Good list .....very pleased.

Lets hope we are at last moving on from the era of signing up old crocks and has been loanees looking for a few more paydays, that became so common in Browns time.
The future of any club is in having a good proportion of youngsters......something that SUFC has not been good at in the past.

starting to look like we have come to that conclusion perhaps ??

Dunne is 32 and Fonguck is 24 both at different stages of their career. Something not quite right in that Barnet team, probably a similar situation to us pre Maher. Look at Dieng, the majority of fans wanted him gone and said he was rubbish. How wrong fans can be.

Actually most of thought it was all there but he was strolling around at two thirds pace and it turns out we were right.

Weymouth's list following relegation

I thought Fitzsimmons, their keeper, was very decent against us other week. Saved a pen as well, also had a bit of fun with some of our fans in the East stand.

Maybe it's a case of they can tell he will have offers greater than Weymouth now?

There were a lot of shoe ins to stay, a lot of shoe ins to leave and 3 or 4 who were question marks. Seems to me that he got rid of all the question marks. Personally that says more about the confidence the football team have in their “incomings” list than anything.

I’m disappointed about Akinola but completely understand the decision. Pleased about Davies. Was really underwhelmed, never wanted to beat his man and overlap. With a 5 we need a far more attacking option. Probably more excited about this window than any in a long time

Yep, just shows how **** he was for us.
I agree
Wonder though given his performances if he felt more at Home with Exeter, I guess that happens sometimes, different set up, different community

Dieng kicked off his career with Brest B and then on to the First team. Brest is a port city in Brittany, Exeter is also deemed a port city and has similarities with the river running through it and is the Capital City of Devon.

Exeter also has a 55 year relationship with the the medieval City RENNES, the capital of Brittany and twinned throughout this whole time, with University exchanges, Both Cities are similar to each other in many respects, both being old and dating back to Roman times

We need to look for a great French player who loves a long pier, with a train on it, a cliff lift, blue flag beaches, a ton of arcades, obviously a fish and chip lover , along with a doughnut, capable of switching with either foot quickly whilst holding an ice cream if a seagull swoops, a meaningful test for a midfielder ?? and known to Kev, , and a Peter Pans playground lover

Are there many French professionals who could live up to that and want to stay because they felt like it was home? I doubt it ??!

I agree
Wonder though given his performances if he felt more at Home with Exeter, I guess that happens sometimes, different set up, different community

Dieng kicked off his career with Brest B and then on to the First team. Brest is a port city in Brittany, Exeter is also deemed a port city and has similarities with the river running through it and is the Capital City of Devon.

Exeter also has a 55 year relationship with the the medieval City RENNES, the capital of Brittany and twinned throughout this whole time, with University exchanges, Both Cities are similar to each other in many respects, both being old and dating back to Roman times

We need to look for a great French player who loves a long pier, with a train on it, a cliff lift, blue flag beaches, a ton of arcades, obviously a fish and chip lover , along with a doughnut, capable of switching with either foot quickly whilst holding an ice cream if a seagull swoops, a meaningful test for a midfielder ?? and known to Kev, , and a Peter Pans playground lover

Are there many French professionals who could live up to that and want to stay because they felt like it was home? I doubt it ??!
He wasn’t **** for us players striker cm and cb all very well ffs

I really liked Dieng to be fair. Not surprised he’s done so well since escaping what was a rapidly sinking ship at the time. Some of his performances in our League Two relegation season were excellent and it’s invaluable having a player in the squad who was so versatile.

I agree

I reckon Samir Nasri would be up for that. He looks like he enjoys an ice cream and a doughnut nowadays.

There were a lot of shoe ins to stay, a lot of shoe ins to leave and 3 or 4 who were question marks. Seems to me that he got rid of all the question marks. Personally that says more about the confidence the football team have in their “incomings” list than anything.
I’m very pleased overall with this retained/released list :
Three unlucky with injuries players who definitely could come good elsewhere,Gard,Akinola,ANG but I accept we couldn’t gamble.
Davies looked fairly tidy and might improve but clearly nowhere near as good as Demi still is.
Dunne might have been given one more season—he was an upgrade on Atkinson but that’s not saying much.

Back