• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2022-23 Southend United Retained / Released List

I’m very pleased overall with this retained/released list :
Three unlucky with injuries players who definitely could come good elsewhere,Gard,Akinola,ANG but I accept we couldn’t gamble.
Davies looked fairly tidy and might improve but clearly nowhere near as good as Demi still is.
Dunne might have been given one more season—he was an upgrade on Atkinson but that’s not saying much.
Dunne was definitely not a upgrade on Atkinson

If I had budget options I would have seriously considered keeping Gard.

Still, there it is.
Not sure. Some of these “youngsters” aren’t young now. Even if they do ok for a few seasons they won’t have a sell on value. They came through our academy, but not sure that puts him or others ahead of someone like Davies (in a different position). And personally, I may be proved wrong, but think kev called that one right.

It needed to be a big clearout, perhaps would have given Atkinson another year though.

Glad Ogogo is gone, I was crucified for criticising that signing but lo and behold was spot on from the start. A disaster.

I trust in the recruitment process.

I agree
Wonder though given his performances if he felt more at Home with Exeter, I guess that happens sometimes, different set up, different community

Dieng kicked off his career with Brest B and then on to the First team. Brest is a port city in Brittany, Exeter is also deemed a port city and has similarities with the river running through it and is the Capital City of Devon.

Exeter also has a 55 year relationship with the the medieval City RENNES, the capital of Brittany and twinned throughout this whole time, with University exchanges, Both Cities are similar to each other in many respects, both being old and dating back to Roman times

We need to look for a great French player who loves a long pier, with a train on it, a cliff lift, blue flag beaches, a ton of arcades, obviously a fish and chip lover , along with a doughnut, capable of switching with either foot quickly whilst holding an ice cream if a seagull swoops, a meaningful test for a midfielder ?? and known to Kev, , and a Peter Pans playground lover

Are there many French professionals who could live up to that and want to stay because they felt like it was home? I doubt it ??!
And must like Dr Feelgood, Kursaal Flyers, Eddie and the Hot Rods and Wilko Johnson

It needed to be a big clearout, perhaps would have given Atkinson another year though.

Glad Ogogo is gone, I was crucified for criticising that signing but lo and behold was spot on from the start. A disaster.

That is harsh, be fair to the guy, we don't know the extent of his medical issues.

Your logic was that he was from a ‘rival’ team rather than the heart condition that materialised. A bit of a leap to take credit for your excellent foresight

Your logic was that he was from a ‘rival’ team rather than the heart condition that materialised. A bit of a leap to take credit for your excellent foresight

+1

Sorry Baz, but you aren’t winning pundit of the year for that cutting analysis ?

That is harsh, be fair to the guy, we don't know the extent of his medical issues.
I think the two are distinct.
Yes, he clearly has problems, but in the here-and-now, what can he do for us?
This is a football club that deserves to be back in the EFL.
How are we going to get there? Hoping?

Were they? I didn't see any real evidence of that. In fact, he pretty much kept up with Dennis when he scored our second against Barnet
I had another look at it.
The run of the ball sees Dunne already moving forward, in fact for a couple of seconds he's ahead of Dennis while the latter gathers the ball.
Neither are going flat out, have a second look.
It's just as well Dennis gets fractionally ahead so's there no chance of an offside when he squares.
There isn't any real pace, as we might understand it.
PS. You mean third goal, btw. Cardwell pen and Demi stab precedes the clincher.

I think the two are distinct.
Yes, he clearly has problems, but in the here-and-now, what can he do for us?
This is a football club that deserves to be back in the EFL.
How are we going to get there? Hoping?
Sadly for us, a club which finished in the bottom half of the National League does not "deserve to" be in the EFL. Perhaps you could clarify your reasons. Looking forward to when we do deserve to be back.

I have read most of the posts on this thread, there are a few of "ignored content" which likely have repeated comments of the sort that is unhelpful and divisive and lacking in respect or depth.
And my conclusions are that the majority of thinking supporters are in agreement with those not to be retained, and that some leaving us are borderline decisions but the economics of the situation demand immediate results and application into the system of play the coaching team demand.
Davies is an okay right back but not a first choice starter.
Dunne is an okay middy but not dynamic, fast or versatile for a starter place.
Atko is an okay back up but not a name that goes straight onto team sheet.
Most of the younger players, Gard, Rush etc, similarly haven't shown they are starting potentials.
It is a tough business, harder now for us than when Bridge was released 5 or 6 seasons ago. I am confident the current management have handled the departures repectfully.

Sadly for us, a club which finished in the bottom half of the National League does not "deserve to" be in the EFL. Perhaps you could clarify your reasons. Looking forward to when we do deserve to be back.
The ground for a start.

I used to think Roots Hall somewhat run down. Hell! It looked old when it was built, lol!
But compared to some we face again, and with a couple of new ones thrown in - it's Camp Nou!

The budget.
I'm not saying it's been used well in the past, but I know for a fact the likes of Woking can only dream what will be available to us.

The fanbase.
Dover will miss those 1,800, eh? To get 800 to Eastleigh on a Tuesday night, when theirs, God bless 'em, could have got in the back of a builder's van, and an average 5k plus at home - even when playing cack says a lot about us.

The potential.
That 5k plus would easily hit around 7,000 if we were in the play-off positions next season. How many in the NL can say the same? Notts, Wrexham, probably, and one of those is likely to go up.

Back