• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2022-23 Southend United Retained / Released List

I would imagine that losing Ogogo, Coulson, Dunne, SimAk, ANG and JW (and maybe Elvis) would have freed up a fair amount while the rest not so much.
I have never been convinced that expensive signings are the way for us to go so I am now looking forward to some 'smart' recruitment.
We look in potentially good shape. Based on the players we have signed since Kev and Co came in I would expect more of the same.
Pre season cannot come quickly enough!

It's more than feasible that we could potentially lose both to injury at the same time again. I suspect we'll be looking for someone who can cover left back as a secondary position.
True but I don't see the two as competing for the same position. Ralph is more a left in a back 3 and TC is a left wing back, more a pseudo midfielder.
Gubbins could return for a season loan and compete with Ralph for that position?
As others post it is the midfield and replacing Neale (x2) that is the, for me, priority

True but I don't see the two as competing for the same position. Ralph is more a left in a back 3 and TC is a left wing back, more a pseudo midfielder.
Gubbins could return for a season loan and compete with Ralph for that position?
As others post it is the midfield and replacing Neale (x2) that is the, for me, priority
And right wing-back.

Dylan Crowe is someone who could be worth a punt on in my opinion. Released by Ipswich and speaking to an Ipswich co-worker of mine, he reckons he’d do well at this level (with plenty of room to improve) and is comfortable at both full and wing back.
Not commenting on Crowe or directing this at you, but if there is one thing I've learned from our season in the NL, it is that any league fan who states that any player not good enough for them 'would do a job at that level' about NL is talking out of their backside. Firstly they don't really know and secondly a failure at L2 will also fail in the NL for any club with promotion hopes (I appreciate you put forward a L1 player so not quite the same).

Thankfully it seems our management team are looking for players on an upward curve rather than a downward one.

16 players off the wage roll. Even if we are paying them on average £800 a week, that works out at £665,600 over the year.

Please correct me if anyone knows if £800 a week is right. But thats a staggering amount of money and some of those didn't even play a game last year.
Ive cut and pasted this for info -sorry ive lost the actual source

"Though some players earn more than £1,000 per week, a typical non-league salary is thought to be around the £600-700 per week mark, with others on far less."

Seems like some tough, but sensible decisions have been made here and I am genuinely excited to see what the next few weeks bring.

On a (random & slightly off topic) side note I thought the graphic design for the retained list announcement and John Whites “Thank You” post were excellent. Hopefully that is a style we are going with for next season.
FB_IMG_1652896032912.jpg

Are we not losing some of our parachute payment this season?
As I understand from EFL comments last year we got £850,000 which I think gets halved this year? then nowt

Be interesting given the comments made whether that loss can be surpassed by the sponsorship deals already done and those Stan said were worth looking out for, news to come soonish?

Little surprised in releasing Atkinson. I thought he done well over the course of the season.

Shame for ANG. I hope he goes on to find a club quickly and gets a fresh start.

Demitriou must go! Hes one of the highest earners and contributes nothing! Hes part of the reason why we are in this league so parts that dont fit and work must go!!

Demitriou must go! Hes one of the highest earners and contributes nothing! Hes part of the reason why we are in this league so parts that dont fit and work must go!!
Sorry to break the news to you @Shrimpet steve but Demetriou has had his contract extended and is wanted by our current coaching staff. No matter how much you lobby for him to go. he isn't. I hope that helps you understand the reality of Demi's position at the Club.

Im fairly pleased with the cull myself.Im not so sure about how we can replace them all though, I only wonder this cos of our rather dreadful history with embargo n the like but forward is where you look if that's where you wanna go so sod the past an trust in the kevolution we shall

Back