• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rhys Murphy

Barry Corr was a similar type of player - hard working, annoying for the opposition and a goal scorer. We've been crying out for one since Cox went (and he wasn't a similar type).

I was never a fan but when I look back , I need to adjust the memory banks and my view a bit as Wordsworth was our best midfield goalscorer for a while notching up 11 goals ( one of which was in the league cup ) Season 2017-18

Even the hapless Mantom knocked in 6 one year

Certainly helps to have a goal-scoring midfielder and a few have already done for us this season like young Sbarra of Solihull who scored against us ( as predicted ) and has already got nine and is the leagues 5th highest scorer

It’s so pleasing to have an instinctive goal scorer in Murphy in the side, he must be a total pain in the ar$3 to play against, just what we need. He will certainly do a job for us for the next couple of seasons- 15 goals at least for him this season.

I think Dalby is the perfect foil for him as well. A poor mans Benjamin & Angell pairing if you will?

How on earth some of you on here think this man should be dropped is beyond me, out and out goal scorer at this level and someone we are lucky to have IMO

I think the frustration with Murphy from some fans is that he spends a bit too much time concentrating on winning free kicks rather than concentrating on his own game. Based on the games I've seen him in I don't think they can be argued personally. So I think its just a case of fans wanting him to cut that out just a little bit as there has been times where he could stay on his feet and perhaps score or create a opportunity for someone else.

Don't think for a second that I'm saying he prefers to win free-kicks than score goals, of course he doesn't, but perhaps cut the diving and throwing himself down a little bit.

I like the fact that he's a whinger and a moaner but it does get a little irritating at times.

All that being said, he's scored more this season than any player combined in the past two so I'm not moaning about him. If he gets 15 goals this season then that's a decent return considering we've not had a player score that many goals in one season for some time.

Would be nice for him and Dalby to get a bit of help with the goals though, especially from midfield.

Good player, and he'll get goals for sure. I just don't like the way he plays (all the antics etc) irrespective of what team he plays for.

Over the last 10 years , 15 seems our best marker, with Coxy pulling off 15 one year and 16 another. Corr was the best in these years with an 18, otherwise 14 was his next best. 15 goals as well for Barnard and a 15 for Assombalonga.

Murphy could match BBBC with a bit more support

Murphy needs to stay on his feet more and the coaches need to get this across to him. Winning a free kick tends to lift the crowd when it's around the box but even in the Premiershite the conversion of free kicks to goals is a measly 8%. Corners to goals are about 1.27%.

Players need to stay on their feet more and try to make something happen with the ball rather than flop to the ground for a futile free kick.

I suspect Murphy and others would score more by trying to play rather than play act.

I have seen Murphy take a good penalty and score a good one on one against the keeper at Chesterfield ..

I am not sure his "goal" this weekend was really his ... 4 other tap ins that I expect Acquah or Rush would have got ...

his general play is poor ..

in his defence the refereeing is so poor he is probably right to have worked out he might as well try and con them as actually try to win the ball ..

I suspect Dalby is carrying him doing all the graft upfront ..

I suspect Murphy has worked out he can get good money doing NL tap ins and looking
the part .

I was pleased to see Maher pull him off at Altrincham -

I have seen Murphy take a good penalty and score a good one on one against the keeper at Chesterfield ..

I am not sure his "goal" this weekend was really his ... 4 other tap ins that I expect Acquah or Rush would have got ...

in his defence the refereeing is so poor he is probably right to have worked out he might as well try and con them as actually try to win the ball ..

I suspect Murphy has worked out he can get good money doing NL tap ins and looking
the part .

I was just trying to make a list of players who scored 4 tap ins last season.....Can anyone help me out?

the part .

What they get up to in the showers really isn't any of our business

The comment we hear most about Murphy is staying on his feet. Yes it can be frustrating at times along with some off-sides. But wasn't the biggest moan about Acquah that fact that he used to love staying on his feet....Especially when the ball was in the air.

Have a look what Murphy does for the first cross leading to the first goal on Saturday. He did what no one else up front has done in the last 5 years.

Murphy and Dalby have suffered from fans anger and frustration. They have been underused and failed by others in the squad yet still had more than reasonable starts to the season.... Hopefully that good grounding for the next 2months of improvements.

Last edited:

the part .

A tap in is generally off the back of some instinct movement or losing your marker, to say Acquah would of scored them i don;t quite believe, you have to gamble to make things happen and that was something he never possessed .

Murphy and Dalby are decent enough for this level , with Brunt creating then we are fine , however we need more creative sparks and im please Walsh is getting a look in .

We are a CM and a CB away from being able to give any team a decent game in this league

Murphy needs to stay on his feet more and the coaches need to get this across to him. Winning a free kick tends to lift the crowd when it's around the box but even in the Premiershite the conversion of free kicks to goals is a measly 8%. Corners to goals are about 1.27%.

Players need to stay on their feet more and try to make something happen with the ball rather than flop to the ground for a futile free kick.

I suspect Murphy and others would score more by trying to play rather than play act.
Murphy has no outstanding attributes but ,to coin a phrase, he knows where the goal is I.e given reasonable support he’ll score plenty at this level.
His throwing himself to the ground,doesn’t cost in itself as he does it when the ball is out of his control,though it can count against us when he iactually gets fouled.

Back