• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rhys Murphy

The impression I get from Murphy is that, he's the sort of striker that might not contribute a lot to a game or have a good game, but he'll come away with a goal or two. We haven't had a striker like that in a long time and I for one am definitely not complaining. He's got 7/8 goals already and has mostly been starved of service, if that can improve and he stays fit, he will comfortably score 15+.

The impression I get from Murphy is that, he's the sort of striker that might not contribute a lot to a game or have a good game, but he'll come away with a goal or two. We haven't had a striker like that in a long time and I for one am definitely not complaining. He's got 7/8 goals already and has mostly been starved of service, if that can improve and he stays fit, he will comfortably score 15+.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Freddy Eastwood didn't create too many for other people.

This. Can't remember if I said it on here or just in general conversation but he's the type that could have a really decent game without actually scoring, or equally do **** all for 90 mins but walk away with the match ball. A very good player at this level. The criticism is laughable

Whether or not the ball is out of his control, the Murphy Flop, means the rest of the team can't pick up the loose ball or cause concern to the opposition because a free kick is awarded. Even when the free kick is not given, by Murphy being on the floor, we are a man down during the next immediate passage of play. I don't doubt he can score but I think he would score more without legs that are programmed to collapse with such frequency.

Think this assessment is spot on, there are a few strikers I've seen play who really don't impress me but have a knack of getting goals. I've only seen 4 games this season, a couple on TV and a couple at Roots Hall but from what I have seen Murphy is not box office. I'm happy to have Murphy but understand why he's not impressing some people despite his very good goalscoring return. He's not particularly likeable, he has an air of arrogance and argues the toss when it's not necessary. He's not a particularly tidy player or easy on the eye, he doesn't score great goals. He's definitely what we need though, we need to remember the level we are at now.

Think this assessment is spot on, there are a few strikers I've seen play who really don't impress me but have a knack of getting goals. I've only seen 4 games this season, a couple on TV and a couple at Roots Hall but from what I have seen Murphy is not box office. I'm happy to have Murphy but understand why he's not impressing some people despite his very good goalscoring return. He's not particularly likeable, he has an air of arrogance and argues the toss when it's not necessary. He's not a particularly tidy player or easy on the eye, he doesn't score great goals. He's definitely what we need though, we need to remember the level we are at now.

That is the Murphy the whole Murphy debate in two lines.

Not aimed at you Ricky but Goodship was pleasing on the eye..... so what. Murphy is the one player in the team, so far, that has given the oppo something to think about.

When teams turn up at RH and are confident they can bully us we need a lot more Murphyness shown by the rest of the players.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Freddy Eastwood didn't create too many for other people.
Actually you might be surprised. I would have agreed with you but watched the 2005/6 dvd a few months back and was impressed with his assists and team play.

Everything he touched at one point became a goal. Great times.

Last edited:
From what I have seen of Murphy he is a throwback to the days when such a player would be described as a 'goal hanger'. He has no pace, doesn't look to bring other players into the game and goes down all too easily, gets in the refs ear and isn't very likeable. However, he has one priceless asset that hasn't been seen at Southend for a long time which is sniffing out a goal opportunity. Most of them won't be great goals, some arguably not even his (as on Saturday) and he will miss chances too but he has a poacher's instinct, something that can't be taught. We need to accept him for what he is, not criticise him for what he is not, and be glad we have actually got a consistent goal scorer in the side. It would have made all the difference last season.

That is the Murphy the whole Murphy debate in two lines.

Not aimed at you Ricky but Goodship was pleasing on the eye..... so what. Murphy is the one player in the team, so far, that has given the oppo something to think about.

When teams turn up at RH and are confident they can bully us we need a lot more Murphyness shown by the rest of the players.
Was he?
From what I have seen of Murphy he is a throwback to the days when such a player would be described as a 'goal hanger'. He has no pace, doesn't look to bring other players into the game and goes down all too easily, gets in the refs ear and isn't very likeable. However, he has one priceless asset that hasn't been seen at Southend for a long time which is sniffing out a goal opportunity. Most of them won't be great goals, some arguably not even his (as on Saturday) and he will miss chances too but he has a poacher's instinct, something that can't be taught. We need to accept him for what he is, not criticise him for what he is not, and be glad we have actually got a consistent goal scorer in the side. It would have made all the difference last season.
He’s not the only one in the squad with that attribute as Matt Rush has it as well.

Said same on another thread but I really don’t like the way Murphy plays. If he gets us goals most weeks though then I won’t argue. Recent history does not allow us the luxury of choosing whether we have a bit of a rascal up front rather than a graceful striker who puts bums on seats.

I think we are learning to accept his ugly side and 8 goals in 17 is pretty good going. With 27 games to go if he managed to play in each of those, and kept up his current form , he could easily end up with 22/23 goals and become a new legend, given our past years of striker performance

I think we are learning to accept his ugly side and 8 goals in 17 is pretty good going. With 27 games to go if he managed to play in each of those, and kept up his current form , he could easily end up with 22/23 goals and become a new legend, given our past years of striker performance
I'd have him equal with Gary Deagan on the legends front.

Does Matt Rush have it though? He’s literally scored one goal for the first team
Yeah but he’s always scored out on loan and coming through the system. From what I’ve seen of him (as much in the u23s and youth as his first team experience has been fleeting) I think he’ll score. What I’m less certain about is how the rest of his game will hold up and as our league position proves you can have a goal scorer but if their all round game isn’t sufficiently developed then the team can struggle.

Reactions: GNH
The only reason Murphy has been carrying on with the 'antics' is because we create absolutely zero. He's frustrated, he tries to win us a free kick in a dangerous position because he knows he may as well try, there's nothing else coming.

Fans will always want something to moan about but the guy scores goals, we'd be cut well adrift if it wasn't for him.

Back