• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Rib injurys.

DTS

The Business
Right lads.

Went up for a header a couple of weeks ago. Would describe it as one of my best headers ever as totally out jumped the guy and got a clean connection. Sadly he got a good connection in my ribs and since then I have been in real pain.

Been told by a few people that its a waste of time going to the doctors with a rib injury as they cant do other than X-ray them and even if they spot a crack they cant do anything really.

Over celebrated Laurents second that never was on saturday and its seems to have got worse.

Was wondering if anyone else has had a rib related knock. I have had it now for three weeks and I have had to stop playing as I cant run or even be touched in that area.

Any ideas or comments welcomed.

Cheers
DtS

My dad broke a rib opening a jar of pickled onions.

He is ex-army so he didn't make a big deal of it.

It was up to me to tell all of his mates.

A doctor friend of mine fell over on a golf course a few years ago (he slipped on a wet railway sleeper that was being used as a bridge over a brook and landed chest down on the bank). He was in real pain and reckoned he had cracked a rib. I asked him if he needed me to take him to hospital and he said no. He said there is nothing they can do even if it is broken because they can't put it in plaster. He also said that it could take up to two years to mend because ribs don't ever rest, they move every time you breathe.

I am a nurse and my pro opinion would be to get it checked, although there isnt much in the way of treatment just to make sure the bones are intact would be good, may just be bruising but can be especially painful if inbetween ribs(intercostal)

Morning Chaps,

I've broken numerous ribs in my time, none of them my own though.
In fact, only Sunday I broke the ribs and jaw of my rather insolent sandwich chef.
She had the front to offer me salmon and caviar with white bread, not wholemeal. A damned insult. As further punishment, I tested the sturdiness of my new partition wall with her face.

Toodle Pip!

you sir are without doubt ............brilliant.

I fractured 2 Ribs and bruised my lung playing 5 a side at work just before my wedding a couple of years ago, i thought i was having a heart attack the pain was so excrutiating. I was rushed to Royal London, given Morphine, kept in over night and told to stay off work for 2 weeks and rest and not do anything strenuous for 8 weeks.

I would go to the Docs mate, purely as a precaution!!!

Dave - I badly brusied a rib on a stag-do, when some geezer spun his go kart right in front of me and I smacked into him.

Although I tried to drink my way through the pain (it was a stag, after all), I did end up popping along to Newcastle A&E to get them to check it out... after all, it was hurting so much, I couldn't even enjoy my dinner!

:thump:

The doctor checked it out, said it was either cracked or bruised... and that there was naff all she could do about it; it would heal itself in time. She was right about that - especially the "in time" bit... took about 6 months, I reckon, before I stopped waking up in the morning with painful ribs.

Time really is a great healer, it would seem. Best of luck with it!

Matt

Once bruised my ribs playing football, went past someone who stuck out there leg, went over said leg and landed chest first. The next day played football again down the park, shoved someone as you do and he retaliated by jumping on me, which made things a tad worse.

Anyway, bruising your ribs can be just as painful as breaking them so I hear, and I seem to think it took around a month to heal. Not 100% on that though.

Nothing you can do except wait.

When I broke my leg playing for Shrimperzone, I also broke 2 ribs, though I didn't know it at the time. My chest hurt for a couple of days, but woke up one night in such pain, my wife phoned for an ambulance as she thought I was having a heart attack. Turned out to be the 2 broken ribs and was given painkillers and told to rest.

It was the worst pain I have ever had and had trouble sleeping for about 3 weeks.

Defifnitely get it checked out.

On a side note, I was seen by an African doctor at the time who diagnosed Pleuresy!!!! Not being happy with this at all, I asked for a second opinion and after seeing an English doctor, was rightly diagnosed with 2 broken ribs!

On a side note, I was seen by an African doctor at the time who diagnosed Pleuresy!!!! Not being happy with this at all, I asked for a second opinion and after seeing an English doctor, was rightly diagnosed with 2 broken ribs![/QUOTE]

Must of been the same jokers at Southend that told me not to worry about my top jaw that was broken in 2 places .....decided to go back after 3 days as still couldn't talk/eat etc and the clowns told me again that it was just bruising , only when after a week later when i was in agony that went to different hospital who promptly sent me to the oral surgeon to have it snapped back into place .

No drugs or nowt , the surgeon took me but surprise as thought he was just going to have a feel around my mouth , think he took great pleasure in hearing me scream like a beeeatch ....least i bit a cheeky lump out of his thumb .

As for ribs , yes done them , had a fight at football, me and the guy was being held back only for me to break free and try and lump him , he see me coming and proceede to use the bloke holding him back as a spring board and kangaroo kicked me with blades on .

Luckily i'd already smashed him before we got split up , as for the ribs , yeah its not a pleasent one i tell thee.

Thanks to all who replied.

Think I am going to be going to get it checked out soon. Might wait till after Bristol Rovers as I dont want to risk missing my last away for a while......

Back