• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricey

I’m a Mod⭐⭐
Staff member
Return Of The Kev!

Saturday the 22nd of November brings Oldham Athletic to Roots Hall and the first and most noticeable point of their visit is the 2 match touchline
ban that has been handed to the Latics manager John Sheridan for improper conduct. The unfortunate news for us Shrimpers is that Lee Hughes who
scored the only goal of a 0-1 defeat last season at Roots Hall is available to play after serving his one match ban on tuesday due to Oldham's cup replay match.. He has been on excellent form to this season scoring 6 goals in 14 appearances.

Last season our results against the latics were a 1-0 win at Boundary park and a 0-1 defeat at Roots Hall with Lee Hughes the only goalscorer
at Roots Hall, and ex Latics loanee Leon Clarke scoring the only goal at Boundary Park. On the 22nd of December last season at Roots Hall
Oldham Athletic brought down 182 fans.

Oldham's Last 5 League Results:

Northampton Town (A) - 0-1 - Liddell (Pen)
Yeovil Town (H) 0-2
Scunthorpe United (H) 3-0 - Alessandra (3)
Swindon Town (A) 2-0
Bristol Rovers (A) 2-0

Out of 8 away games they have played this season Oldham have:

Won: 3
Drawn: 2
Lost: 3

They have Conceeded - 12 Goals away from home and have scored - 10 goals away from home.

How the teams lined up on the 22nd of December 2007:

Southend United: Collis, Hunt, P Clarke, Barrett, Black, Maher (C), MacDonald, Morgan, McCormack, Hammell, L Clarke.

Subs: Richards, Harrold, Hooper, Flahavan, Moussa.

Oldham Athletic: Crossley, Hazell, Bertrand, Trotman, Stam, Taylor, Allott (C), Kilkenny, McDonald, Hughes, Davies.

Subs: Smalley, Thompson, Wolfenden, Pogliacomi, Kalala

How the teams lined up in both their last league games:

Southend United: Federici, Francis, Clarke, Barrett, Harding, Betsy, Christophe, Sawyer, Robson-Kanu, Revell, Laurent.

Subs: McCormack, Grant, Scannell, Sankofa, Mildenhall.

Oldham Athletic: Crossley, Lomax, Hazell, Stam, Jones, Smalley, Allott, Maher, Taylor, Hughes, Byfield.

Subs: Liddell, Eardley, Alessandra, Gregan, Fleming

So Southend United have 13 changes to their line up since the last time they played Oldham.

So Oldham Athletic have 10 changes to their line up since the last time we met.

Oldham's Likely Line Up:

Mark Crossley - By far the man of the match last season at Roots Hall, stopped everything we threw at him and being an experienced goalkeeper
is used to being put under pressure. The 39 year old is in his second season with the Latics and on the side of his goalkeeping duties he also
plays the role of the clubs goalkeeping coach.

Kelvin Lomax - The 5ft 11 recently tunrned 22 defender has had a rough time in his career after being released by the Latics former boss Ronnie Moore
in 2006 he was not offered work elsewhere, untill Sheridan offered him a lifeline saying he could train with the club and offered him short term contracts and after a short spell on loan at Rochdale last season he then proved his worth and has featured in almost every game this season after some solid performences.

Reuben Hazell - Another 5ft 11 defender the 29 year old signed from Chesterfield in 2007 and has been a first team regular since. He started his career
as a trainee for Aston Villa and spent most of his career with Tranmere Rovers and Torquay United.

Stefan Stam - The 6ft 2, 29 Year old Dutchman has previous experience playing for both PSV Eindhoven and AZ Alkmaar untill in 2005 he signed for Oldham
Athletic where he has so far made 85 appearances and scored 1 goal.

Daniel Jones - 21 year old midfielder on loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers, made a real impact on League one last season whilst on a loan period with
Northampton Town and after signing a contract with Wolves keeping him at Molineux untill summer 2010. He then after signing a new deal with Wolves
agreed to join Oldham on a months loan to which was extended untill the 3rd of January 2009.

Deane Smalley - 20 year old midfielder who is a production of Oldham's youth team. Smalley who signed a proffessional contract in 2007 has since made
45 appearances and scored 3 goals for the Latics.

Mark Allott - 31 year old midfielder who was Oldham's Player of the season last season is on his 9th season with Oldham Athletic and has made 254 appearances
in two stints at the club scoring a total of 36 goals.

Kevin Maher - I really don't need to write a review about this ex Southend United legend who spent 10 years of his career with the Shrimpers, he has yet to
make a real impact with the Latics. Kev has only started 2 games this season and has made 5 sub appearances. Now I hope he does get a good reception from
The Roots Hall ground and the boo boys stay away, he was an excellent servant for us.

Chris Taylor - 21 year old midfielder who like Smalley was a product of Oldham's youth set up and a Latic's fan. He signed a proffessional contract in 2005
and has since played 112 games and scored 12 goals.

Lee Hughes - 32 year old striker who I really don't need to explain about because everyone knows his history. In 2004 he was convicted of death by dangerous
driving and leaving the scene of the crime. He was later released in 2007 and he signed for Oldham and has been an instant hit. Obviously not with the away
fans as he gets alot of abuse. He has scored 12 goals in 25 appearances.

Darren Byfield - 32 year old striker who is currently on loan from Doncaster Rovers made his first appearance for Oldham on saturday after on a one month loan. Husband to singer Jamelia, Byfield is an ex Jamaican international has been at 13 different clubs since 1997. He has not scored since joining Doncaster Rovers in 2008.

I have picked the same 11 players that started against Northampton Town in Oldham's last league game.

Ricey's one's to watch:

This is going to be a tough game and Oldham are highly tipped for promotion this season and with the squad and the players they have at their disposal it wouldn't suprise me if they did manage to get promoted.

Darren Byfield - Always has a habbit of doing well against us and is still a very good striker.

Lee Hughes - Scored the only goal in the same tie last season and is on hot form this season.

Lewis Alessandra - Another one of Oldham's youngsters who has made a huge impact and scored a hat trick against Scunthorpe last month. May start but will probably feature as a sub.

Daniel Jones - An excellent winger who will cause problems for our defence with his excellent crosses for Oldham's many choices of strikers.

So there you have it this the first of Ricey's Reports on our next opponent for Shrimperzone, hope you have all enjoyed it and feedback and comments will be welcomed and any suggestions taken into account.

Kind Regards
Matthew (Ricey)

Well done a welcome pre match addition to the zone.

Personally I particularly liked the guide to their lightly line up as I no longer buy home programmes as have far too many at home and don't like to throw them away.

After a conversation in the Spread with Matt I said I liked to write articles so I was asked by Matt to write an article on our next opponent and this is my first tester to it, I hope that in time with the right feedback I will make it more informative and enjoyable for people to read.

:)

Well done mate :) Really good read. Perhaps a quick mention of the manager though?

For my money the biggest threat is Chris Taylor. A proper winger who perhaps should be playing higher than League one.

After a conversation in the Spread with Matt I said I liked to write articles so I was asked by Matt to write an article on our next opponent and this is my first tester to it, I hope that in time with the right feedback I will make it more informative and enjoyable for people to read.

:)

Hark at the blue eyed boy !!!!!!!!!!

I'm only jealous Ricey ... i offered something similar at the start and it was largely ignored :'( boo hiss !!!!!!!!!

Well done mate :) Really good read. Perhaps a quick mention of the manager though?

For my money the biggest threat is Chris Taylor. A proper winger who perhaps should be playing higher than League one.

Very good bit of advice there Gareth and for the next one I will add in a mention for the manager :)

Oldham made us look as ordinary as anyone else I saw last season. Think Sheridan will employ similar tactics and frankly we look a bit weaker. Looks like laying us @ 2.4 and backing unders @ evs could be a good shout here.

It all depends on my other thread really as with Freedman in the team we look capable of scoring against anyone.

Oh yeah, excellent bit of reserach compilation by the way. If I start using it to make horrendous profits from gambling I'll let you know. (chance would be a fine thing.)

Last edited:
thanks for the pre match report -

if you keep it up it will become as important as the very essential Ref Watch .....

Cheers for all the comments people... Any other feedback would be much appreciated, as I have signed a deal till the end of the season to do 'Ricey's Reports' :)

Cheers for all the comments people... Any other feedback would be much appreciated, as I have signed a deal till the end of the season to do 'Ricey's Reports' :)

With payment in kind? ;) Well done though, very comprehensive preview.

Nice write up, Daniel Jones is not one to watch though, that should be Chris Taylor :D

Back