• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard Cadette

Thanks to Dave Goody for the reminder in the programme on Saturday. Today marks the 25th anniversary of Richard Cadette scoring 4 in a 5-1 romp over his previous club Leyton Orient.

'Young, Gifted & Black'

Thanks to Dave Goody for the reminder in the programme on Saturday. Today marks the 25th anniversary of Richard Cadette scoring 4 in a 5-1 romp over his previous club Leyton Orient.

:thumbsup:

Richard is one of my favourite Blues players. Just thought I'd dig this previous post (called 'Young, Gifted & Black') out from the archives by way of a tribute on this more appropriate thread:-

Though this song was from the early seventies, it is now indelibly linked for me with Richard Cadette and his glorious time with us in the mid-eighties. I cannot recall Southend having a black player before Richard signed for us and unfortunately racism was still in the air at football matches back in those days. I first saw him play for us in August '85 in a midweek League Cup game when he came on as sub. The match was a poor one but Richard immediately livened things up and we managed to get a late equaliser with a rare Paul Clark goal, which had resulted from 'Tricky Dicky's general unsettling of the opposition (Gills possibly?) defence by his confidence to go at them. He was one of those players who would immediately enliven a crowd just by being on the ball and I remember a wonderful piece of trickery in a thrilling FA Cup game v Northampton (on a Friday night in December '86) where he turned both marking defenders with his back to them initially, then went through them like a bar of soap through swing-doors to emerge en route to goal from where he put us 3-2 up, IIRC. Finally, his goal at Stockport in our promotion game in May '87 nearly got me my head kicked in as I couldn't contain my glee when I knew it would get us up - he made it 2-0 with about 25 minutes to go converting a cross with his customary aplomb. Young, gifted and black - I will always remember the days of 'King Richard' holding court with huge affection.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?52987-Daydream-Believer&referrerid=3694

Back