• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
It is with a heavy heart that Geoff (shrimpfan) and I have to report the death of Richard Fugl (blue scorpion) last weekend aged 65. For those that don't know Richard here are a few details.

Richard lived in the Park Street area originally (later Inverness Avenue not sure after that) and went to Westcliff high school while his brother Robert Fugl went to Southchurch as did Geoff and I, and through a love of Southend United I came to know Richard. Soon we were regulars on the Youth Section Coaches to away games going to the delights of Darlington, Workington etc. Robert was a big lad but Richard was a giant in comparison and was often known as "big Richard". He always liked a drink and only those with a suicidal tendencies would try to keep up with him.

Robert was the wild one in his younger days and it was Richard trying to calm things down and it was a huge surprise when Robert joined the police and had a very successful career, however I share the distinction with Richard and Robert of being thrown out of two police bars(Oxford training centre and Southend Vic Avenue).

I hitch-hiked to the Munich Beer festival with Richard, the attraction for him was the Beer not the Germanic way of life.

Richard was one of the Shrewsbury eight mentioned previously http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?88861-Have-you-been-to-Shrewsbury

Another of our group was Keithie (Gus) Summers and in the late 60s and early 70s the Spread was our local and many a few pints were downed there. After Keith's sad passing some ten years ago we organised several memorial away days to the first being Notts County which was full of incident.

Richard sat in the West Stand and would go out the back at half time for a fag, it was there that the last words he said to me was "Notts County what a day that was" with a twinkle in his eye.

Another good mate sadly missed.

A touching personal post, thanks for sharing your memories of Richard (abeit in the worst possible outcome)

May he rest in peace, and my thoughts go out to yourself as well as his family and other friends.

Didn't know him, but always sad to lose a fellow Shrimper. My thoughts go out to his family, and lets hope the boys can get a result on Satrurday in his honour. RIP Richard

Some good, lasting memories there DoDTS. The minutes applause for those that have left the Blues family on Saturday will hopefully give you the chance to remember him fondly.

RIP and deep sympathy to family and friends.

A touching personal post, thanks for sharing your memories of Richard (abeit in the worst possible outcome)

May he rest in peace, and my thoughts go out to yourself as well as his family and other friends.
very true..rip Richard

Always a shame to lose one of the Shrimper family, sorry to hear about this DoDtS, condolences to his family and friends, of which you were clearly one.

Didn't know him but can identify with him being brought up in Southend all those years ago and following SUFC for decades. May he RIP.

RIP Richard.

Such a lovely guy. When my Dad first started taking me to watch Southend, we would go into the Spread before hand and have a drink with his mates, of which Richard was one of them. He was always very nice to me, one of the worlds genuine nice guys.

Will be missed by many.

Richard & Robert Fugl were brothers that I spent a few season's with back in the middle/late 60's. Like me they were part of a small group of fans who travelled to many away matches.(this was at the time when everybody knew everybody mainly because there was not many of us). So when a fellow shrimper friend from years ago leaves me it feels like another part of those "HALCYON DAYS" from the late 60's has gone forever. Robert & now Richard have left us but the memory of those times we spent together back in the day will remain with me forever. My Condolences to all his family, Nobbler.

Richard & Robert Fugl were brothers that I spent a few season's with back in the middle/late 60's. Like me they were part of a small group of fans who travelled to many away matches.(this was at the time when everybody knew everybody mainly because there was not many of us). So when a fellow shrimper friend from years ago leaves me it feels like another part of those "HALCYON DAYS" from the late 60's has gone forever. Robert & now Richard have left us but the memory of those times we spent together back in the day will remain with me forever. My Condolences to all his family, Nobbler.
Yes, remember them well, especially Robert with whom I worked for several years. Sincere RIP to another good man.

Back