• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richie Benaud

I've just seen a note that he will be joining 5's highlights team to give his take on the Ashes series, although this will only be on the Saturday of the test matches. It will be good to see him back on our screens.

Amongst my earliest cricket memories was "old rubber face" himself presenting the cricket on the tv .. a true icon of the sport :clap: :clap:

Legend. A master of his art.....needs no hyberbole, relying on a dignified, authoritative and knowledgable approach. Can't believe he is an aussie!

Good to hear, although am I the only one who thinks that "5"'s highlights are basically 4's but on 5? A bit of a redesign'd be nice.

To be fair at the time they had the rights I thought Channel 4's coverage of cricket was the best television coverage there had been, across any sport.

Legend. A master of his art.....needs no hyberbole, relying on a dignified, authoritative and knowledgable approach. Can't believe he is an aussie!

I'd be so bold to suggest he's the greatest commentator in any sport, ever. He bestrides cricket commentary like no other.

There's a stat - perhaps apocryphal, but which may well have a grain of truth to it - that when you combine his playing career and his commentating career, he has been involved in some way with almost half of the Test cricket matches ever played. Remarkable.

One thing that sets him apart is a total lack of bias. There's a fantastic clip on YouTube (this may be it, although I can't check on my work computer) where Richie gives his thoughts about Greg Chappell's now infamous instruction to his brother, Trev, to bowl the last ball of an ODI match against NZ along the ground in order to prevent the Kiwis getting the six they needed to tie the game.

A more jingostic commentator may have applauded Chappell's cunning... but Richie shows his utter contempt for the act, calling it "disgraceful". It's a masterful piece of broadcasting - and demonstrates that, for Richie, cricket comes first, second and third, with nationhood a distant fourth.

:)

Top man.

Greatest commentator ever? It's a very tough call, certainly in my top 5. The Youtube link was a good find Matt, and the assessment by Benaud spot on. He also found the actions of Hansie Cronje contemptible, not surprising really.

He was a fierce critic of "Chucker" Charlie Griffith a West Indies quick of the 60's, Benaud was convinced that Griffith chucked his bouncer, and on the convicts 1965 tour of the WIndies called him for throwing from the commentary box. He then faced fierce criticism from the WIndies press for his view.

Returning to his attributes as a commentator it is definitely fair to say that he is probably the best ex sportsman that has made the transition from playing to commentating, his nearest rival IMO would be Peter Alliss.

Back