• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

south247

Coach⭐
Any ideas if he will stay in the Brown set up? I guess Brown will bring his own people in at some point.

Pretty sure he was with Sturrock at the Green Man (or else an incredible looky likey). This got me thinking why he wasn't with the main team party?

Hopefully only a case of me adding 2 and 2 wrongly. For what it is worth he seems to be doing an excellent job and I hope we would want to keep him. Wonder if he was considered for the big job. Wonder too if Coughlan was considered?

Duncan will stay! I doubt brown will change the youth team coach I think managers tend to leave the youth team alone unless they have better coaches or the youth team aren't producing! But Duncan is doing a fantastic job and I'm sure brown will have witnessed that or been told about the great job Duncan is doing!

I am hoping that Phil Brown believes in an effective Youth set up more than Luggy did. I believe he visited the youth set up within days of his appointment and so hopefully will work well with Ricky and his team as they aim to produce players for the Blues and players to sell on - like Crewe. It can be an effective source of revenue if believed in and developed. Talk of a development squad perhaps ? This would allow mixing 1st team coming back from injury or needing to get fit with game time and those youngsters pushing through. An opportunity to get a proper "whole club" set up at last!

I am hoping that Phil Brown believes in an effective Youth set up more than Luggy did. I believe he visited the youth set up within days of his appointment and so hopefully will work well with Ricky and his team as they aim to produce players for the Blues and players to sell on - like Crewe. It can be an effective source of revenue if believed in and developed. Talk of a development squad perhaps ? This would allow mixing 1st team coming back from injury or needing to get fit with game time and those youngsters pushing through. An opportunity to get a proper "whole club" set up at last!

Had you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, Tilson and Sturrock both realised that the goods being produced by the youth team weren't quite as consistently good as Duncan would like you to believe? We're in an annoying situation where we don't have the money to invest enough in youth to make it produce good enough players, and we certainly don't have the facilities, so we might as well add the youth budget to the transfer budget.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Had you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, Tilson and Sturrock both realised that the goods being produced by the youth team weren't quite as consistently good as Duncan would like you to believe? We're in an annoying situation where we don't have the money to invest enough in youth to make it produce good enough players, and we certainly don't have the facilities, so we might as well add the youth budget to the transfer budget.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I've said it before, that the youth system shouldn't be dismissed because we're not producing players like Crewe are. We cannot be compared to Crewe. What we can do is just wait until the players who were U8's/10's when Ricky D and Luke H joined the club are U18's+ and see if players who have come through this system are good enough for our first team. Don't judge their success or try to push youth funds towards the transfer budget because all it takes is one player out of a squad of 16 per year who could be sold for enough to keep the club afloat). That being said, I do agree with what you say re Sturrock and Tilson...if the players were good enough in recent seasons they would be playing (ala ferdinand).

The idea in principal is good, but until we get the stadium and training facility built this will be too hard with the current facilities at B&L's. To have a development squad under the new EPPP, we would need to be Cat 2 academy (meaning a £1 million investment purely into youth per year is needed)...not something we can't afford (cat 3 clubs need to invest only £250k p/a).

I thought there was little point investing in youth at cat 3, as anyone who shows any promise will just be poached by a higher league club for nothing....or virtually nothing?

I thought there was little point investing in youth at cat 3, as anyone who shows any promise will just be poached by a higher league club for nothing....or virtually nothing?

I wouldn't say any promise, they can only go for a set fee if they don't have a pro contract. Many players will develop a lot between 18-21 hence the development squads for cat 1/2 clubs. The only way it would effect us negatively is if we had an extremely talented u16 or a very talented u18 and were not wise enough to offer him a contract.

Back