• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

According to various newspapers he's in trouble for using the word **** in various jibes on Twitter. IMO it's a nasty word and is definitely a shortened version of mongol, which is now better describe as Downs Syndrome.

IMO Gervais is a smug self satisfied tosser, and I hope this is the "Michael Barrymore" moment that finally sees him crash and burned. Although he may not be responsible for the death of a person I'd suggest he will have upset an awful lot of people . He's defence is that over the years the word has changed and is no longer a reference to Downs. Think again you smug faced ****.

Edit: I had forgotten we had this on the SZ swear filter, but I'm sure most will be able to deduce what the 4 stars mean.

Well said CS I dont even think RG is funny yet a quote taken from the paper today just about sums up who he thinks he is "The haters arent offended by the things I say, they are offended by my success" What a prize ***** :angry:

Not a fan of Ricky Gervais since his ego took over. However if the word he used is one I think it is then it is one I do use from time to time, and do tend to agree that its meaning in every day usage is different from its origins.

I agree with Number11, where the word is often used without any implied reference to where it's from. I don't like RG particularly, but if it was being used in a way which wasn't make a reference to its origin then I don't have a huge issue.

Gervais has stated repeatedly he'd never use the word **** to refer to someone with Downs Syndrome. The context in which Gervais uses it is far removed from its origins. I find it highly amusing The Sun, employer of Jeremy Clarkson, has got it's panties in a twist over this.

He wrote this on his blog:

I love how me using "****" to mean "div" or "gimp" (and explaining that 20 times) has become...

"Ricky Gervais abuses Down's Syndrome children."

Ha ha. Why children?

Also a tweet that wasn't even mine is suddenly one of my "sick jokes".

It really is like that episode of Extras. (Still available.)

I also love how everyone is trying to get in on it too. We'll definitely see some comedians on daytime telly discussing how terrible I am, then mentioning their upcoming gig that's not selling. Good luck to them though.

I'm keeping out of it.

Now I understand that you can't please everyone with the things you say and nor should you try... but surely they have to report what I say accurately before they start to damn it?

Again that's the good thing about Twitter. It's documented.

I should just say a thank you for the overwhelming support too. Means a lot.

And that's another thing. All these people saying it's "disgusting" and "ban him from the telly"... They never liked me anyway. They couldn't have or they would understand.

Still mustn't grumble.

There is an arrogance about him, but in some respects he's earn't that. I wouldn't want to go for a beer with him, but he can be very funny (generally when working with Merchant) and The Office will always be one of my favourite ever TV shows.

I think it is easy to take things out of context and him calling Karl a **** is really not that bad...

There is an arrogance about him, but in some respects he's earn't that. I wouldn't want to go for a beer with him, but he can be very funny (generally when working with Merchant) and The Office will always be one of my favourite ever TV shows.

I think it is easy to take things out of context and him calling Karl a **** is really not that bad...

Agreed that the Office was excellent, but is it too much to expect a supposed comedy genius to come up with something more witty than calling someone a m**g?

What he said.

People seem to get very uptight about RG quite often - I'm not sure we ever see the 'real' Ricky Gervias, so best not to get upset. IMHO he's bloody fantastic at what he does, I have nothing but admiration for him. Yes, he comes across a bit smug at times, but like I say I don't think that's the real him, and even if it is then he deserves to be smug for what he's achieved.

What like stupid f****** c*** ?

But Andy if your mates are catholics then they just turn the other cheek so you can call them what you like,i call my kids the N word sometimes and its only backfired once when at football i shouted oh N sit there only to notice a gentleman that could take offense sitting near by,not sure if it translates into french.
As for rg if he was doing a gig outside my house id close the curtain

But Andy if your mates are catholics then they just turn the other cheek so you can call them what you like,i call my kids the N word sometimes and its only backfired once when at football i shouted oh N sit there only to notice a gentleman that could take offense sitting near by,not sure if it translates into french.
As for rg if he was doing a gig outside my house id close the curtain

Amazingly not all my mates are Catholic :winking:

I remember Mr Brooking at SHSB telling us he used to call his wife 'Indian' as a nickname because she was... and that people used to think he was really racist: "Indian, come here." etc

He still did though! :stunned:

Thought The Office was over-rated but Extras was funny. He has a face you could punch all day but he's right, it's a common enough used expression today, which has nothing to do with its original meaning. People are just looking for an excuse to have a pop at him so for that reason alone I hope his career flourishes.

Good grief - I was hoping to play Devo's fine record 'Mongoloid' on air soon. This has certainly put paid to that. :sad:

The last time I ever heard the word used was in relation to smoking cannabis.

Can't abide him, remember his appalling performance at the Diana charity gig a few years back, and never been so pleased to see someone make a total prat of themselves. I watch Idiot Abroad, but that's because of Mr Pilkington, if I were him, I'd have thumped Gervais by now! It's the only programme of his I've ever watched, not seen a single episode of The Office or Extras.

Can't abide him, remember his appalling performance at the Diana charity gig a few years back, and never been so pleased to see someone make a total prat of themselves. I watch Idiot Abroad, but that's because of Mr Pilkington, if I were him, I'd have thumped Gervais by now! It's the only programme of his I've ever watched, not seen a single episode of The Office or Extras.

Strange when you take into account you like them pair of total arse wipe **** face ******s Ant and Dec!!!!

Karl and him are best mates, and his whole "idiot" shtick is played upon and ramped up. As Supernaut said, The Office was absolute genius, Extras had it's moments but it The Office is easily one of the top 5 sitcoms this country has ever produced (better than the ****ing Vicar of Cuddly).

Back