• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricky Holmes done deal

The amount of times I have seen him against us and wished he was on our side!

Great player, creative and attacking. Could be an ideal foil for Goodship. Play Goodship up front now with the creative options we have and who knows. If we do go down this year i don’t think it will be down to lack of effort.

An Indication of how good he is, look at the Northampton fans bemoaning his loss and they are a level higher. Says it all to me.

I really hope this one works out! I've wanted to sign Holmes the most out of any (realistic) player so I'm excited to see what he can do for us. It's a real shame this didn't happen a few years earlier though.

I am more than delighted that we signed Ricky Holmes as he is an SUFC through & through, he will give an extra effort’s on the pitch especially he will be making his dream come true to pull on an famous blue shirt and score at Root Hall. Image what he will do if he bang a goal at Col Ewes in April, raw passion!!

#OneOfOurOwn

Looking at the various goals clips of RH you are reminded what quality he has. Many come from more central positions and think he will be comfortable in the 3 behind ?Ranger. Great dead ball delivery too so we now have a left and right foot threat from free kicks

Looking at the various goals clips of RH you are reminded what quality he has. Many come from more central positions and think he will be comfortable in the 3 behind ?Ranger. Great dead ball delivery too so we now have a left and right foot threat from free kicks

I hope that's where he plays, so we can go back to 5-3-2, as I think that formation suits us better :Whistling:

Well, and I don't want to be a naysayer, but I hope we are not swapping a developing cohesion for disruption.

Holmes, over the last five years, is a goal maker and not a goal taker. I accept that's his role but I have seen clear signs that we were already looking brighter higher up the pitch and it was often let down by finishing. Something Holmes is unlikely to help or expected to.

The key player we needed was a striker. It's suggested Ranger, God forbid, has been reintroduced to remedy the lack of goals. Why? He's scored less goals than Halford. Ranger has no record of being other than a bustling unit that might, at best, make space for others to have an opportunity. So you still need the striker who can make the most of those opportunities.

Personally I can see the wheels falling off the Blues bus and undoing the hard work that has got us to within a good shout at safety.

Great and Glad he is back, much will depend on that back, I hope its much better, repaired or can better be managed, for his sake and ours

Attachments

• holding back.jpg
    holding back.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
This will all re-enforce the 4231 formation. Holmes can play anywhere across the 3 and is a goalscorer - and certainly would grab a few in a more central role of the three. That said he is a creator of as many as he scores.

Neither Hinds (if that was ever real) or Simpson would be well suited to playing the one up top. Ranger is made for it. We don't want to be changing preferred formation to accommodate signings at this point of the season. Simpson would provide options in addition to but not instead of what we need most.

Back