• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricky Holmes done deal

Spot on here

Ricky looks as fit as a flea in the picture but will be 34 in June and there is a clear loss in physical performance in players over 30. A study of 10,759 in La Liga found 2% less distance covered, less high intensity sprints or efforts and maximum speed decreased, across all positions.
Sports Science however has helped increase longevity in the game by close to two years over the past 2 decades due to better nutrition, physio, knowledge and training techniques
The deterioration though is much more dramatic in plus 35 year olds ,losing at worst up to 30% capacity

The good news and I hope for Ricky, is the evidence that players over 30 are better tactically and technically than their younger counterparts. There percentage passes is 3 to 5% better. Their decision making and game intelligence was found to be higher than younger players as well as co-ordinaton of movement within a game. They can apparently improve with less training due to brain and physical experience

The studies I've seen show attackers' performances start to drop off from about the age of 26 and then a dramatic decrease after the age of 30 and then fall off a cliff at about age 35.

Besides the fall in sprints and distances covered, this can also be seen in the number of shots taken and the number of successful dribbles. Players generally counter this by dropping deeper and playing a more creative role but the number of assists falls off after the age of 28.

The way the age decline goes is winger first, central attacking midfielder, full-back, central midfielder, forward, centre-back, keeper last.

Of course there are exceptions and outliers.

One area I'd like to see more studies into is aside from the physical degradation is whether players become more conservative in their decision making - less likely to try something that may go wrong so they'd be criticised for making a mistake or have to chase after the ball.

The studies I've seen show attackers' performances start to drop off from about the age of 26 and then a dramatic decrease after the age of 30 and then fall off a cliff at about age 35.

Besides the fall in sprints and distances covered, this can also be seen in the number of shots taken and the number of successful dribbles. Players generally counter this by dropping deeper and playing a more creative role but the number of assists falls off after the age of 28.

The way the age decline goes is winger first, central attacking midfielder, full-back, central midfielder, forward, centre-back, keeper last.

One area I'd like to see more studies into is aside from the physical degradation is whether players become more conservative in their decision making - less likely to try something that may go wrong so they'd be criticised for making a mistake or have to chase after the ball.

Michael Kightly fits the above perfectly.

This is the case with C. Ronaldo, for most of his career he played as a winger that would look to take on players at every opportunity but his age means that it isn't viable for him to play there these days so he's converted himself into a target man.

As well as the skill he still has (supported by how unhappy Northampton fans are that he has left), there seems to be a consistent view that ANG has loads of skill on the ball but his final pass is lacking. I can only imagine that working alongside Ricky Holmes in training will be a quick way to improve that part of his game

So many other variations to take into account. Often target man type of strikers or any players whose main asset isnt pace tend to peak later. It's all about the individual.

Speed is the first thing to go so those players relying wholly on it tend to have short careers.
There are always exceptions and outliers but there is significant risk in signing older players (nobody told Phil Brown unfortunately).
Dropping down to a lower division or standard can prolong careers as the older player might still be able to contribute in a less pressurised environment.
There may also be another issue: the late great Ernie Sheppard told me that he would always look for young unproven strikers. Older players cost you more in wages but, in his words, were often reluctant to go in 'where the boots were flying'. He said that too many strikers in the lower divisions were happy to, again in his words, 'retire on you'. This was said in 1973 but I suspect may still hold true.
I wonder what Ernie would have thought about signing Ranger? I'm guessing not much!

How about Joe Piggot? Remember him? 13 goals and 4 assists from 25 games for AFC Wimbledon this season, in League One of course. He'd be pretty useful in League Two....
Was decent for us up until he wasnt! He seemed to struggle for us in league 1 and looked a little out of his depth! Hes definitely turned it around at afc but I dont think he has the quality of ricky.

Was decent for us up until he wasnt! He seemed to struggle for us in league 1 and looked a little out of his depth! Hes definitely turned it around at afc but I dont think he has the quality of ricky.

I hope you're right. We may see tomorrow perhaps.

Age is dependent on the player , yes the odds go down if it working the older they get, but there are enough exceptions through history.

Ballon d’or sir Stanley Mathews 41 years old

He was performing very well at Northampton and their fans wanted him to stay. I can only see him adding much needed creativity to this squad. People like him and Egbri that run at defenders and make them turn towards their own goal are always great to have in a team.

Age is dependent on the player , yes the odds go down if it working the older they get, but there are enough exceptions through history.

Ballon d’or sir Stanley Mathews 41 years old
Yes Depends so much on the character and motivation.

Spinner and goater for instance were phenomenal resignings.

Delighted with this news, Ricky always used to score against us so I will be really happy to see his name on the right side of the goals scored updates now.

Back