• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Ricky Holmes is still in talks with Southend United

At 34, and a local boy, there will still be a lure to re-sign for us, not least because there is no upheaval of his family and career end is not that far away. It might also be that he sees it as a challenge to help the club back into the FL. It all depends on what his wage demands are.

At 34, and a local boy, there will still be a lure to re-sign for us, not least because there is no upheaval of his family and career end is not that far away. It might also be that he sees it as a challenge to help the club back into the FL. It all depends on what his wage demands are.
I like to think he'll see it that way.

But i wouldnt lose any sleep if he left tbh.

I saw nothing in him last season to suggest he is worth keeping,
You didn’t watch any of the games with PB in charge?
Or as with Demi, is it the ultimate accolade and badge of honour on here- the legendary “I can’t see what he brings”.
He was better playing with a broken foot than some of those, much younger, who would prefer not to be here at all, or in the treatment room.
But the same question: do we actually, really value those that care..?

As we're still in 'contract discussions' with him, i guess his had no approach's from other clubs?.
He wants to be here. He is taking part in training, no sulking, no agents suggesting it a bad look. We are offering not a lot, he is trying to get more- which is also not a lot. I don’t think he is very interested in other offers (although at what we want to pay other L2 clubs would be interested). Really he will sign with us or retire and he doesn’t want the latter..

Last edited:
When he was stuck out on the wing he looked poor as he had lost more than a yard of pace.

When in the middle and in a more number 10/top of 3 man diamond with two wide players he looked a lot better. His footballing brain is certainly as good as Cox and he would be great in that role.

We wasted the talents of Kightly by playing him wide but PB wont do that with Ricky.

At his age he wont cost much and coming off the bench to buy a free kick away at places like Stockport when we are defending a narrow lead could be priceless.

This is where we find out if he really wants to stay and play for the club or not, does he want to be kicked up in the air all the time in the national league as it’s rough and tumble in this league, can he even stay fit long enough, we shall soon find out.

When he was stuck out on the wing he looked poor as he had lost more than a yard of pace.

When in the middle and in a more number 10/top of 3 man diamond with two wide players he looked a lot better. His footballing brain is certainly as good as Cox and he would be great in that role.

We wasted the talents of Kightly by playing him wide but PB wont do that with Ricky.

At his age he wont cost much and coming off the bench to buy a free kick away at places like Stockport when we are defending a narrow lead could be priceless.
I would rather have a player who can play 90 minutes than a part timer.

He was pretty hopeless when MM was in charge. when brown came in, holmes was the first player to up his game. With Holmes I'm not to fussed if he stayed or went. Better younger players out their!
The problem we somehow miss is someone as good as Ricky Holmes and 10 years younger will be a thousand miles away from what we can get. It’s as if two relegations never happened we are still, it appears, in denial..

Holmes not only improved massively under Brown in terms of getting on the ball and looking hungry to create chances, he was also one of the only players to look like he cared and was trying to gee everyone up and talking alot.

Be delighted if he signs on, think he could be a big player next season with Ogogo and Dunne doing the work behind him.

... just realised, that would be a midfield trio with a combined age of nearly 100 :D

Back