• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
POSH DIARY: Former Posh star still enjoying a life of crime

ON PROBATION: Only this time Ricky Otto works for the service.

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »
View Gallery

AS new occupations for former footballers go, Ricky Otto's role as a probation officer is one of the most unlikely.
In a way he is perfectly suited to his new job as he once spent four years detained at Her Majesty's pleasure for armed robbery. On his release he played for Leyton Orient before Barry Fry signed him three times, for Southend, for Birmingham and finally for Posh.

Otto was an aggressive winger who enjoyed little success in a struggling Posh side. Upon retirement in 2001 he became a probation officer and he is now also currently studying for a degree in theology.

Otto said: "After my criminal past I always knew that I wanted to work with offenders. When I started the job it felt as though I was delivering the programme to myself - I was so heavily entrenched in that behaviour.

"It was weird working with prisoners on the wing and in the cells. The memories all came flooding back and it made me realise how far I'd come as I still have friends doing life sentences.

"When I was involved in crime, hanging on the street, or playing football I was caught up in a materialistic society. Pride was a big part of that.

"I was young and hot-headed, I felt I had to live up to my reputation, it was a weight on my back. I believed the life I was living was the greatest life, but I paid a great price for it.

"To be honest I'm just glad to be alive. Three years ago I gave my life to God and was baptised - that's when I decided to study the bible.

"Some people think I must have freaked out, but I always say that God can take out the baddest man and humble him. Playing football was a privilege and I do miss the banter.

"I go to St Andrews now and again, but usually I'm studying at weekends. After my start in life it's amazing that I had a football career, it was only when I finished playing that I realised the magnitude of what I'd done.

"Without football I would probably be dead now."

Otto played 15 games on loan to Posh from Birmingham at the back end of the club's relegation season of 1996-97. He scored six goals.

Posh goalkeeper Bart Griemink was a taxi driver in Boston the last we heard

Thanks for that Napster, good to see Ricky is once again helping troubled youth......(Peter Taylor could vouch for that). Seriously, good on him, and I will always think of him as one of the most, if not the most talented player I ever saw in a Blue shirt. Which makes me think I'll start a new thread on that very topic.

suprised about bart i thought he could of done something a bit better than that,such as youth football

good to hear that about Otto, he was a class act and it's good that he is working towards making a real difference in peoples lives. talking about prisons and christianity... i heard some interestings stats about the rates of conversions in prisons worldwide, huge numbers of convicts seem to be/are repenting and are determined to stay away from a life of crime. also there was that baby bible bashers programme the other night, which was quite disturbing... and a couple of the parents of the kids (preachers) featured had spent time inside before turning to Christ... I would probably say that out of all of footballs 'bad boys', Ricky Otto is probably the last person i would have expected to convert, but then thinking about it maybe it makes sense!??!

anyway this post is utter waffle!

Back