• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Now working for the probation service in Coventry...

'Jermaine Pennant can be a role model for youngsters - just like me' says reformed bad boy Ricky Otto!
By Ian Clarkson 06-July-05

Former Birmingham midfielder Ricky Otto, who knows a thing or two about transgressing the law, has told Jermaine Pennant 'don't serve the time, let the time serve you' - and Otto has urged the former Arsenal winger to go on and become an England star.

The 37-year-old Otto, once Blues' record signing, has a colourful past that includes serving a four-year prison sentence for armed robbery and he admits that an astonishing 17 of his friends have been killed in the last 18 years.

Otto, who was an integral part of Birmingham's Auto Windscreens and League One double back in 1995, is now a reformed character and works for the probation service in Coventry, rehabilitating offenders.

Pennant served a month in prison last season after crashing a friend's car while driving without a licence and over the limit, however, fellow winger Otto is convinced that Pennant will be a sure-fire success this season and will go on to achieve his ultimate aim of playing for England.

Otto grew up on the mean streets of Hackney and was a self-confessed bad-boy until his stint at Her Majesty's Pleasure. And he believes that Pennant will emerge from his darkest hour to be the role model that Otto has now become "Jermaine Pennant has the chance to be a role model," said Otto. "He can make that situation work for him. I didn't just do the time; I made the time work for me.

"Even though I did a four-year sentence I didn't come out and think I was going to carry on down that path. I applied myself and changed my way of thinking so when I came out I elevated myself, and I think Pennant can do the same thing. He can easily just go back into his nice trappings and lifestyle and just be comfortable but it goes deeper than that and he can make it work for him by encouraging other people.

"Even when we you are going well, it is easy to fall down, but it is about how you dust yourself down and pick yourself up. I think he is doing that well and lads on the street need to recognise that because the road isn't easy. It is going to get rocky but don't give up because on the road to success you are going to get dirty. You can't have success with your hands clean, as it doesn't work like that.

"The most important aspect to remember here is that footballers are human beings. They have a lovely lifestyle but they are not exempt from the punishments that everyday folks can get themselves into. Pennant obviously came under that umbrella but, being a young man, he can always get back what he lost in terms of playing and that is good.

"I have been watching him since he first came from Notts County, as I am a big Arsenal fan, and his goal should be to play for England," continued Otto, who is now based in Walmley. "He is a massive talent and if he applies himself right then of course he has got aspirations of playing for England. He is a sensible lad and I think the incident that sent him to prison was the straw that broke the camel's back."

Otto, who arrived at St Andrews back in 1994 as Barry Fry's first major signing for the then club record fee of £800,000, says of his own experiences: "To be a footballer is everyone's dream and while I didn't give myself the best start in life – you reach rock bottom in prison - I could always look at that foundation and rise.

"The fact that I turned my life around in a positive way makes me even more determined to help young offenders now who I know and believe are talented, but are just looking for the little bit of a kick start in their lives. You never kick a dog when its down and I think I can be a living example of someone who can be down and come out and achieve their dreams.

"No-one really expected me to do what I have done and I can only use that to my advantage to encourage them that life isn't over 'til the fat lady sings and I can make a difference to someones life."

Blimey. Nice one, Ricky.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Jan. 12 2006,10:53)]Now working for the probation service in Coventry...

'Jermaine Pennant can be a role model for youngsters - just like me' says reformed bad boy Ricky Otto!
By Ian Clarkson 06-July-05

Former Birmingham midfielder Ricky Otto, who knows a thing or two about transgressing the law, has told Jermaine Pennant 'don't serve the time, let the time serve you' - and Otto has urged the former Arsenal winger to go on and become an England star.

The 37-year-old Otto, once Blues' record signing, has a colourful past that includes serving a four-year prison sentence for armed robbery and he admits that an astonishing 17 of his friends have been killed in the last 18 years.

Otto, who was an integral part of Birmingham's Auto Windscreens and League One double back in 1995, is now a reformed character and works for the probation service in Coventry, rehabilitating offenders.

Pennant served a month in prison last season after crashing a friend's car while driving without a licence and over the limit, however, fellow winger Otto is convinced that Pennant will be a sure-fire success this season and will go on to achieve his ultimate aim of playing for England.

Otto grew up on the mean streets of Hackney and was a self-confessed bad-boy until his stint at Her Majesty's Pleasure. And he believes that Pennant will emerge from his darkest hour to be the role model that Otto has now become "Jermaine Pennant has the chance to be a role model," said Otto. "He can make that situation work for him. I didn't just do the time; I made the time work for me.

"Even though I did a four-year sentence I didn't come out and think I was going to carry on down that path. I applied myself and changed my way of thinking so when I came out I elevated myself, and I think Pennant can do the same thing. He can easily just go back into his nice trappings and lifestyle and just be comfortable but it goes deeper than that and he can make it work for him by encouraging other people.

"Even when we you are going well, it is easy to fall down, but it is about how you dust yourself down and pick yourself up. I think he is doing that well and lads on the street need to recognise that because the road isn't easy. It is going to get rocky but don't give up because on the road to success you are going to get dirty. You can't have success with your hands clean, as it doesn't work like that.

"The most important aspect to remember here is that footballers are human beings. They have a lovely lifestyle but they are not exempt from the punishments that everyday folks can get themselves into. Pennant obviously came under that umbrella but, being a young man, he can always get back what he lost in terms of playing and that is good.

"I have been watching him since he first came from Notts County, as I am a big Arsenal fan, and his goal should be to play for England," continued Otto, who is now based in Walmley. "He is a massive talent and if he applies himself right then of course he has got aspirations of playing for England. He is a sensible lad and I think the incident that sent him to prison was the straw that broke the camel's back."

Otto, who arrived at St Andrews back in 1994 as Barry Fry's first major signing for the then club record fee of £800,000, says of his own experiences: "To be a footballer is everyone's dream and while I didn't give myself the best start in life – you reach rock bottom in prison - I could always look at that foundation and rise.

"The fact that I turned my life around in a positive way makes me even more determined to help young offenders now who I know and believe are talented, but are just looking for the little bit of a kick start in their lives. You never kick a dog when its down and I think I can be a living example of someone who can be down and come out and achieve their dreams.

"No-one really expected me to do what I have done and I can only use that to my advantage to encourage them that life isn't over 'til the fat lady sings and I can make a difference to someones life."
You made all that up....
wink.gif

I thought Ricky had been in trouble with police once or twice since leaving SOuthend. That wouldn't quite square with his assertion that he turned his life around inside.

Good to see him doing some sterling community work alongside his thriving book binding business.

Im sure i saw the man himself at the home game against Forest this season. Standing at the back of the north-west corner with his gooner shirt on!

Back