• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Surprisingly, I can't see any discussion on the rioting that's gone on in Tottenham, Enfield and now south of the river over the last few nights. Unsurprisingly, I hear the bleeding hearts have already been out in the media moaning about police brutality.

As I see it, the man police originally shot and killed had already apparently shot at police. I've commented somewhere else that if you live by the sword then you have to expect to die by the sword so if he got shot, then I don't think anyone should feel the need to complain (Only just heard that there is dispute over the bullet, although he DID apparently have a gun), however, there were plans for a peaceful protest, marching on the police station, but this seemingly got hijacked and people used what seems to have developed into a riot as an excuse to just go and help themselves to whatever booty they could get their hands on. I mean, you don't go out to a peaceful march and take the tools with you to drag an ATM out of the bank, or to set alight people's businesses and homes do you? I'm glad to hear that the man's family have distanced themselves and condemned the rioting - "not in our name" - but disappointed that the police have been seemingly slow to act in areas where the slightest excuse is good enough for feral behaviour to break out.

I was reading some comments on one of the online news sites, and thought it interesting that a young man from Europe found it hard to believe why water cannon wasn't brought into use and that the police failed to act with any great authority until things were out of hand. Certainly we've seen this done in Northern Ireland many times, so why was it not deployed here? Are the Met so cavalier as to believe that it's not needed? Once this happened in Tottenham, it was only a matter of time before trouble makers elsewhere started copying the behaviour so it was no surprise to hear shops in Brixton had also been looted....another flashpoint area and one the police should have been ready for.

There are times I despair of this country, there are times when we need strong and decisive leadership and shouldn't let conscience or the fear of litigation affect our judgement. There are also times when the right to legal aid should be withdrawn, but that's a whole other discussion!

London's burning

Crazy scenes over the weekend.

The guardian has reported that apparently Mark Duggan may not have shot at the police. Apparently the bullet in the coppers radio was Met issue:stunned:

Not an excuse for anything that we've seen... what was a protest has just been hijacked by people wanting a new telly and some carpet samples. Burning peoples flats down is disgusting and I hope the lot of them get banged up for a long time (a lot of space at Upton Park that could be used:winking:)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/07/police-attack-london-burns

*Sits back and watches the thread*

popcorn.gif

Haha!!! Great minds and all that....started my thread a few minutes before you did!!!

MODS - can they be merged please?

I think its ridiculous how gentle our police force are. Bring out the Water Cannons, tear gas and Rubber rounds in these situations, its the only way to deal with these morons.

I think its ridiculous how gentle our police force are. Bring out the Water Cannons, tear gas and Rubber rounds in these situations, its the only way to deal with these morons.

I agree with this. Lefty at heart but I think water cannons and rubber bullets are perfectly proportionate to bricks. I really feel for the honesty families and businesses who have been affected by these.

Like you say, I heard on the radio today that the bullet found was Met issue, so that's going to take some explaining.

I hadn't followed events surrounding the shooting, and wonder if Mr Duggan did actually fire any shots or was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I do believe though that there's no smoke without fire (bad pun - not intended) and that the Police are not likely to start firing without good reason.

That's no excuse for the events that unfolded in Tottingham or any of the subsequent demonstrations / riots, but sadly there are some prety screwed up people out there and any excuse for a ruck will be seized with both hands.

Obvious that the Tottenhamprotests were going to get hijacked by the elements of society that could use it for their own selfish advantage, and hopefully they'll spend sometime at Her Majesty's....especially those parading around on telly not bothering to hide their identities.

Don't think they want to be using rubber rounds - they'll be too easily identified as being Met issue and that's what got them into this pickle in the first place.

There was comment over the weekend about how many were going to get found out by parading photos and evidence on twitter or FB.

But mine has a Guardian link in it. so it's better:smile:
Who are you...BarnaBlue suddenly?!!!

There was comment over the weekend about how many were going to get found out by parading photos and evidence on twitter or FB.

Who are you...BarnaBlue suddenly?!!!

:omg:

I just think it's an important revelation, and worth highlighting. The findings of the IPCC investigation will be very interesting.

As someone on twitter said, "The police said Mark Duggan had a gun, Smiley had a knife, Jean Charles de Menenzes had a bomb and Ian Tomlinson died of natural causes."

Agree with this. What's the point in pussyfooting around in the hope they'll disperse and go home, the only way to make them think again, is through water cannons, rubber bullets and tear gas. People might think it's not right, but it's how you should deal with events like this.

If they were football fans the water cannon would have been out before you could say Charleroi.

Surprisingly, I can't see any discussion on the rioting that's gone on in Tottenham, Enfield and now south of the river over the last few nights. Unsurprisingly, I hear the bleeding hearts have already been out in the media moaning about police brutality.

As I see it, the man police originally shot and killed had already shot at police. I've commented somewhere else that if you live by the sword then you have to expect to die by the sword so if he got shot, then I don't think anyone should feel the need to complain, however, there were plans for a peaceful protest, marching on the police station, but this seemingly got hijacked and people used what seems to have developed into a riot as an excuse to just go and help themselves to whatever booty they could get their hands on. I mean, you don't go out to a peaceful march and take the tools with you to drag an ATM out of the bank, or to set alight people's businesses and homes do you? I'm glad to hear that the man's family have distanced themselves and condemned the rioting - "not in our name" - but disappointed that the police have been seemingly slow to act in areas where the slightest excuse is good enough for feral behaviour to break out.

I was reading some comments on one of the online news sites, and thought it interesting that a young man from Europe found it hard to believe why water cannon wasn't brought into use and that the police failed to act with any great authority until things were out of hand. Certainly we've seen this done in Northern Ireland many times, so why was it not deployed here? Are the Met so cavalier as to believe that it's not needed? Once this happened in Tottenham, it was only a matter of time before trouble makers elsewhere started copying the behaviour so it was no surprise to hear shops in Brixton had also been looted....another flashpoint area and one the police should have been ready for.

There are times I despair of this country, there are times when we need strong and decisive leadership and shouldn't let conscience or the fear of litigation affect our judgement. There are also times when the right to legal aid should be withdrawn, but that's a whole other discussion!

The issue over the man shot is not that clear cut. It looks like the police officer shot was shot by a police issed bullet not by the suspect. That's why the IPCC got involved so quickly. The 'peaceful protesters' believe that no shots were fired at the police. we will have to wait for the result of the investigation. I can understand why (but can't condone) it kicked off in tottenham. there are historical tensions between the police and the community in that area.

I agree with you about the copy cat looting by 'feral' youth and the awful response by the police. They needed to get a hold of the issue much more effectively. Problem is we are churning out 'feral' youth. I do have time for the tory 'broken britain' thesis but not for their prescriptions for solving the issue. I've read your previous posts and know that you are concerned with youth issues, it is a issue that needs urgent attention as we have a widening underclass growing day by day.

This hurts me to say but I feel sorry the Old Bill

Think back to when the students where kicking off and the OB went in cracking heads etc people said they where to hard and now they being to soft!!

I beleive they should of just gased as they think twice about doing it again plus I think it would of stoped last night kicking off.

It seem that the police fear the public rather then the other way round!!

also the footage I saw sunday morning there seemed to be a lot of Jews kicking off

Twitter were demanded to hand over account details in the aftermath of the Ryan Giggs fallout because a supposed criminal offence had been committed. Surely people who boast of theft, and then further incriminate themselves by posting pics of themselves with their loot on Twitter and FB should have their details handed to the police?

The Met Police have released cctv footage of the youths involved in the riots in Tottenham last night. Anyone that recognises any of the teeth should call Crimestoppers immediately.

No one comes out of this looking good. The shooting in the first place is looking like its all down to errors by the police that were at the scene - which you can't defend but when fire arms are used people can panic and someone gets killed. From that point on though information should have been issued to Mr Duggan's family (though don't know why they thought a 120 people protest was going to help). No one is going to defend the pack mentality of rioters and looters torching their own area but some people feel they have nothing to lose. The Met have never known how to handle crowds, they **** it up so many times and with another big group on the streets I'm not surprised it has got out of hand yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back