• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

hindle_666

Manager
Yesterday i learned some sad news at the passing after long term ill health of fellow Southend fan and good mate Barry Smith known to many friends and fellow supporters as "Slim".
He was also involved for many years helping run the Southend Sceptre Sunday League.
Barry was a lovely fella i met when i first started going with my Dad at a very young age to Roots Hall.
Barry was always first to buy a round and always up for a laugh and joke,i have many fond memories of Barry at various away days and weekends(LDV at Cardiff v Blackpool being my fondest)that i will never forget.

RIP Mate Love Ginger and Jamie xx

If i find out when the funeral is and his family are happy for me too i will post the details here for any who knew him.

Last edited:
truly shocking news!! Slim was always one the lads in the early days, especially when we used to go onthe coaches , another legend like ginger, always stood his ground and over the years saw him involved in many fracas . Fulham FA Cup and Aldershot with the squaddies in the 1980s. I knew him quite well, I didnt realise he was that ill

RIP Slim sad to see a fellow shrimper go....

If its the same Slim I knew.. I remember him standing up to some Northamton bully boys in the Blue Boar ( away pub then ) in the 80s in the FA Cup 4.4 I think ?

Top Bloke and always Friendly to me

rest in peace

During the mid 80s when i first started travelling away regularly i always looked up to guys like Slim, Ginger, Spotter & Gary Townsend as they were that generation older than me so this news comes as a shock to me

RIP to one of the old school, my thoughts are with his family and friends

it goes from bad to worse with southend at the minute, first kitty now barry, under an embargo and hall in prison only at southend could this all happen in two weeks,

RIP Barry, sounds like he was a top bloke and will be missed by many

RIP Barry, Didn't know him personally, but always sa to see a fellow shrimper go.

Slim

Sorry to hear about slim. We'll no doubt have a few beers in his memory at morecombe.
I'm sure ginge,stumpy and jonesy have a few stories to tell. RIP

Slim,you will be missed mate. Whenever I saw you, you always had a big grin on your face.
I can remember the time Barry drove our minibus to Cardiff, he was the only person that could do it clutchless, so he had the honour, and that was the bus that got us all the way to the high st in Cardiff, just near the stadium, and decided to breakdown right outside one of the main pubs, which was packed to the rafters with supporters, so we had to all push it with Barry steering . The lads in the pub were ****ing themselves watching us push this knackered bus the last 100 yards, most waved at us, with their middle fingers..... Those were the days.
I can also remember the time Ginger and Slim were called up to take part in an aerobics session at boots and laces once, to see Barry star jump...
Very saddly missed mate, many happy times meeting you
Karl

Slim,you will be missed mate. Whenever I saw you, you always had a big grin on your face.
I can remember the time Barry drove our minibus to Cardiff, he was the only person that could do it clutchless, so he had the honour, and that was the bus that got us all the way to the high st in Cardiff, just near the stadium, and decided to breakdown right outside one of the main pubs, which was packed to the rafters with supporters, so we had to all push it with Barry steering . The lads in the pub were ****ing themselves watching us push this knackered bus the last 100 yards, most waved at us, with their middle fingers..... Those were the days.
I can also remember the time Ginger and Slim were called up to take part in an aerobics session at boots and laces once, to see Barry star jump...
Very saddly missed mate, many happy times meeting you
Karl

I forgot that day Karl they tried to drag me up too i was having none of it was absolutey comical...good times.
Slim:training:and Ginge:training:..... :smile:

Last edited:
Next time I hear thunder, I'll think its Barry doing star jumps in heaven.
J, we all had some real fun and laughter back then, he will always be part of that.

Back