• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RIP Jeremy Wisten

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
This is shockingly sad - young Man City player who took his own life after being released aged just 17.

My heart breaks at the thought that a young man thought he was of so little use at such a young age that he felt suicide was the answer.

Is this the big club's fault for having too many youngsters on their books, would it be better to have them limited so young players can find their way at lower league clubs? Whatever the answerm Frank Sinclair is right in saying there needs to be more help.

This is shockingly sad - young Man City player who took his own life after being released aged just 17.

My heart breaks at the thought that a young man thought he was of so little use at such a young age that he felt suicide was the answer.

Is this the big club's fault for having too many youngsters on their books, would it be better to have them limited so young players can find their way at lower league clubs? Whatever the answerm Frank Sinclair is right in saying there needs to be more help.

Terrible, poor lad just because one of the biggest clubs in the world released you didn’t mean you’ve failed and you’re not good enough. Plenty of players have been released by big clubs and they’ve live to regret releasing them. Hopefully this will spark a big change in how these lads are treated because the clubs treat them as just a number rather than a potentially vulnerable child!

RIP Jeremy.

It is tragic and the pressure put on some of these kids is almost criminal. My step son plays for Chelmsford City under 10s and they have gone up to the top division of the Brentwood league this season. It is a pretty good level and I think a lot of teams have academy players, we have 3. Luckily our coaches are great with the kids, perhaps it is why we are struggling at this level but i'd much rather us be on the losing side than have some of the opposition coaches and parents! 9yr olds should be enjoying the game and if some kids are being pressured at that age I hate to think what is going on with older age groups. Parents as well as clubs have a big part to play, when friends of mine were managing Bishops Stortford they brought in a player from the youth team for a match on the bench and got 2 phone calls from parents saying that their sons deserved it more along with some abuse etc. Parents living dreams through their kids are a massive problem in the game and I don't know how you address that?
I am not in anyway suggesting the parents were at any fault in this case by the way.

It is tragic and the pressure put on some of these kids is almost criminal. My step son plays for Chelmsford City under 10s and they have gone up to the top division of the Brentwood league this season. It is a pretty good level and I think a lot of teams have academy players, we have 3. Luckily our coaches are great with the kids, perhaps it is why we are struggling at this level but i'd much rather us be on the losing side than have some of the opposition coaches and parents! 9yr olds should be enjoying the game and if some kids are being pressured at that age I hate to think what is going on with older age groups. Parents as well as clubs have a big part to play, when friends of mine were managing Bishops Stortford they brought in a player from the youth team for a match on the bench and got 2 phone calls from parents saying that their sons deserved it more along with some abuse etc. Parents living dreams through their kids are a massive problem in the game and I don't know how you address that?
I am not in anyway suggesting the parents were at any fault in this case by the way.

Possibly quite the opposite. I remember David Beckham's recount of his early days at man U, young man far away from home living in digs - I have no idea if this was a similar case but I should imagine being isolated can play a major part in it also and it would also make it harder to find someone to talk to.

Possibly quite the opposite. I remember David Beckham's recount of his early days at man U, young man far away from home living in digs - I have no idea if this was a similar case but I should imagine being isolated can play a major part in it also and it would also make it harder to find someone to talk to.
Yeah could well be, like I said I certainly wasn't pointing a finger in that direction. I was just mentioning parents as part of a wider discussion on these young players and the pressure put on them.

Very very sad indeed,If anything positive can come of this , i hope the powers at be make the changes needed to help and offer a alternative route outside of football for these young lads and not just shut the doors as such when their services are no longer required .

My son is only 6 years old and was approached by a Prem side to train at their academy, its very flattering to see a club recognize a talent in your own flesh and blood and i can see why parents go way over the top at times and its very very competitive at that age......too competitive to be honest.

Im in 2 minds whether to pull him as its a big burden on myself to get him there and back and also it could be too much pressure on him ....i need to monitor the situation closely and things like this hit home and scare you .

Very very sad indeed,If anything positive can come of this , i hope the powers at be make the changes needed to help and offer a alternative route outside of football for these young lads and not just shut the doors as such when their services are no longer required .

My son is only 6 years old and was approached by a Prem side to train at their academy, its very flattering to see a club recognize a talent in your own flesh and blood and i can see why parents go way over the top at times and its very very competitive at that age......too competitive to be honest.

Im in 2 minds whether to pull him as its a big burden on myself to get him there and back and also it could be too much pressure on him ....i need to monitor the situation closely and things like this hit home and scare you .
My boy played at the academy from 8 years old and released at 15 . He was the same year group as Harry Phillips and Steffi Mavididi . As a family we were fortunate when the release day came . Our boy was extremely academic so for him to get a contract and only be able to take a btech exam could have been a very difficult decision. He’s gone on to get a 1st in a decent subject at Uni .Played 1st team football with boys who were at Chelsea etc and got a job worthy of going to Uni . But there were boys who were given contracts then released with just a basic qualification. There were boys who were released who I thought would make it as a pro footballer as did there parents .There should be a minimum age when boys are taken away from playing local and school football . To be honest Ricky Duncan was spot on at the evening about releasing our boy . I think I took it the hardest as every football mad parent would . Such a waste of a young life RIP Jeremy.

Back