• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
I hope you'll indulge me here - we said farewell today to a stalwart Blues supporter, a Trust member, a STH in South Upper and a colleague of mine up to only 4 months ago. Paul Chidgey died very suddenly on Maundy Thursday, aged just 50, having celebrated his 50th just a few days before.

I have sat at the crem and later at a thanksgiving service this afternoon, listening to the sights and sounds of tears and raucous laughter as family, friends and colleagues shared in their memories of one of the most genuinely decent men I've ever had the priviledge to meet. In every anecdote, every address there was mention of his beloved Southend Utd, how this mild mannered gentle giant transformed into this vocal and foul mouthed abuser of referees, and the fun and camaraderie he had in his many, many years of supporting the Blues.

Paul was cremated wearing his Southend home shirt and with his scarf adorning the top of his wicker coffin. In keeping with the family's wishes not to wear sombre clothes, I wore my own Southend shirt. I'd like to give special mention here to Ray Davy, who came along to the crem representing the Club.

God Bless Paul.

s1013051120_4727.jpg

Last edited:
Rest In Peace.
What a shame, ask the club about a minutes silence/applause maybe at Cheltenham.

I don't know of the chap, but thats a very moving write up OBL - Condolences to his family and Rest in Peace Paul.

Last edited:
I recognize him, did he sit in the South Upper? If it's the guy I think it is, he looked rather like my father in law and joked to my wife that her dad had a twin.

Very sorry to hear the news, far too young to die.

I recognize him, did he sit in the South Upper? If it's the guy I think it is, he looked rather like my father in law and joked to my wife that her dad had a twin.

Very sorry to hear the news, far too young to die.

Yes he did, South Upper, on the yellow side where the yellow and blue seats meet and about 4 rows back.
RIP. It's always sad to see someone so young lose their life but a dedicated Southend fan and from what you have told me Kay a very nice man.

A fantastic guy, taught my sister.
Always said hello when we saw him at home and away games.
Genuine shrimper through and through will be sadley missed.
RIP Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like he sat near my old seat in the South Upper so I'm sure I've seen him at games in the past.

I'm not a religious man but if we do go somewhere after this life there are a couple of people who also used to sit with me in that part of the ground who will be there. So Paul will have company and people to share stories about Southend with.

RIP

Back