• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RIP Sir David Amess

Those with a wider view of the world who see the bigger picture beyond narrow parochialism might be reflecting that voting for bombing a far away country (in which we have no justification for interfering) causing death, destruction and displacement was bound to have consequences at home. Easy to vote for killing people thousands of miles away from the comfort of the green benches. Of course these remarks will be interpreted as justifying or condoning the murder, which they don't in any way, shape or form but we should not be surprised when British warmongering has consequences at home.
As for the death penalty, great idea. Let's create more martyrs and pour some more petrol on the fire quite apart from what would be another retrograde step in our gradual relinquishment of civilised values.

In this case where the evidence against was 100% I don't personally agree. I'd have no problem knowing that this guy fried for what he done.
We'll have to agree to disagree then.I used to live in Southend West and have never voted Tory in my life.I didn't know DA but I always enjoyed his knock about sessions on PMQ's demanding that SOS be made a city.Nobody deserves to die the way he or Jo Cox did.

Those with a wider view of the world who see the bigger picture beyond narrow parochialism might be reflecting that voting for bombing a far away country (in which we have no justification for interfering) causing death, destruction and displacement was bound to have consequences at home. Easy to vote for killing people thousands of miles away from the comfort of the green benches. Of course these remarks will be interpreted as justifying or condoning the murder, which they don't in any way, shape or form but we should not be surprised when British warmongering has consequences at home.
As for the death penalty, great idea. Let's create more martyrs and pour some more petrol on the fire quite apart from what would be another retrograde step in our gradual relinquishment of civilised values.
I think it should be pointed out that the aircraft were to be used to protect the Syrians who had risen up against President Bashar al-Assad who had started to attack and kill his own people in large numbers because they wanted to overthrow him. There was also an issue with Kurds in the north. So any MP that voted for our involvement should not be tarnished and called a war monger. However, parliament took your view (and mine) that military involvement could only escalate the situation and inevitably cause more death and destruction and we never sent those aircraft.

President Bashar al-Assad’s best friend Putin did sent his aircraft to crush the rebellion and we are all familiar with the atrocities committed.

It should be noted we did later send aircraft as part of an international effort, including Russia, against ISIS in the region.

So let’s not find an excuse for this scumbag.

Last edited:
I think it should be pointed out that the aircraft were to be used to protect the Syrians who had risen up against President Bashar al-Assad who had started to attack and kill his own people in large numbers because they wanted to overthrow him. There was also an issue with Kurds in the north. So any MP that voted for our involvement should not be tarnished and called a war monger. However, parliament took your view (and mine) that military involvement could only escalate the situation and inevitably cause more death and destruction and we never sent those aircraft.

President Bashar al-Assad’s best friend Putin did sent his aircraft to crush the rebellion and we are all familiar with the atrocities committed.

Excuses are not the same as reasons. The fact is we have participated in and actively encouraged regime change in the middle east and beyond with dubious motives and disastrous consequences for the people of those countries and beyond. When chickens come home to roost it behoves us to ask why and try to learn the lessons, not least of which the UK needs to stop behaving like the colonial power it once was. Not that this in any way justifies murder in cold blood, before the lynch mob start baying for blood.

The point is surely that Ali Harbi Ali claimed that SDA's vote on Syria was what caused him to target the MP for Southend West for a terrorist attack.Don't think we need to take a fanatic's word for his motivation.

Excuses are not the same as reasons. The fact is we have participated in and actively encouraged regime change in the middle east and beyond with dubious motives and disastrous consequences for the people of those countries and beyond. When chickens come home to roost it behoves us to ask why and try to learn the lessons, not least of which the UK needs to stop behaving like the colonial power it once was. Not that this in any way justifies murder in cold blood, before the lynch mob start baying for blood.
Fair enough view. Have much sympathy with it. But David Amess died in a horrific way. Ali Harbi Ali was not hurt in any way so got his day in court and was able to air his twisted views to us all.

So he got what he wanted, now he must pay the price, whatever that is it will not be enough.

I've always had quite a relaxed view on the death penalty on the basis that it's less about society sentencing someone to death, more about the murderer sentencing themselves. The logic fails though when push comes to shove and the state still has to schedule and carry out the execution.

Let's create more martyrs and pour some more petrol on the fire

In this case though, while I wish nothing but evil on the vile scum that not only killed another human being but did it in this way, this is by far the strongest argument for not executing. We have to take comfort in seeing him rot in a cell. Hopefully one in solitary confinement.

I've always had quite a relaxed view on the death penalty on the basis that it's less about society sentencing someone to death, more about the murderer sentencing themselves. The logic fails though when push comes to shove and the state still has to schedule and carry out the execution.

In this case though, while I wish nothing but evil on the vile scum that not only killed another human being but did it in this way, this is by far the strongest argument for not executing. We have to take comfort in seeing him rot in a cell. Hopefully one in solitary confinement.
It would be better punishment if he was confined alone BUT human rights states he can practice his religion, associate with others etc, and in the overcrowded prison system, under fire from Legal Aid sponsored human rights solicitors, he will be put in proximity and part of other terrorists of similar perversion. Where he will be feted as a "freedom fighter". The odds are he will violently assault a prison officer too.

It would be better punishment if he was confined alone BUT human rights states he can practice his religion, associate with others etc, and in the overcrowded prison system, under fire from Legal Aid sponsored human rights solicitors, he will be put in proximity and part of other terrorists of similar perversion. Where he will be feted as a "freedom fighter". The odds are he will violently assault a prison officer too.
Exactly. And all of that is without the cost to the state of "housing" this murdering scum.

Just got a whole life sentence. I'm assuming that the term "whole" means no parole and life means life!!

Back